Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF! What did i just see?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

I remember catching several glimpses of Halleys comet in 1986, and it was visible to some extent for quite a few months if you knew where to look, and had good binoculars. It was pretty dim from Ireland anyway, but it's quite something to know you were watching the same object that had been predicted over 250 years ago. At 75-76 years cycle, it's not one a lot of people get to see twice. You'd need some serious equipment to see it as anything more than a dim star.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Guill wrote: »
    As little as i know about it i'd still asume that it could have been a huge distance away, travelling at huge speed and even though it looked like it was heading east from my perspective it could have actually been travellin left to right and away from me. It would be amazing to actually know if it did get through the athmosphere(not burnt up) and hit land.

It would have become visible at about 100 km up and they typically travel at about 50 km per second (100,000 mph).
    It'd definitely sting if you got a skite of it.

Advertisement