Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gainward 4870x2 2GB

Options
  • 10-10-2010 5:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I picked up a Gainward 4870x2 2GB http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=83

It says one of the requirements is 2 GB minimum system ram, will I get bad performance with just 1gig in my pc?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yes.

And why on earth have you stuck a 2GB graphics card into a machine with only 1GB RAM?!?!? :confused::eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What size is Your psu, the 4870x2 is a beast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 nVital

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yes.

And why on earth have you stuck a 2GB graphics card into a machine with only 1GB RAM?!?!? :confused::eek::p

Beacuse I picked it up for < €50 :eek:

But thanks for the info.

Also PSU needs upgrading for this power plant hungry card lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

nVital wrote: »
    I picked up a Gainward 4870x2 2GB http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=83

It says one of the requirements is 2 GB minimum system ram, will I get bad performance with just 1gig in my pc?

You stick a great card in a crap system you bring down the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

4870x2 really needs a quad and plenty of ram for it to shine or it will be completely bottlenecked by the cpu and do nothing, giving less than average performance. The reason for this is that its 2 cards, that takes alot of cpu power to feed both cards. With anything less than a quad You'd have lots of microstutter, where one card gets its info processed and the other has to wait to get supplied by the cpu. I even get microstutter with a 3.8Ghz quad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

I have DDR2 2x 1GB RAM, 2x 512mb RAM, 2x 256mb RAM... I can sell it to u just pm me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 nVital

Fresz19 wrote: »
    I have DDR2 2x 1GB RAM, 2x 512mb RAM, 2x 256mb RAM... I can sell it to u just pm me...

No thanks. Ive got a ddr3 board, with 1GB crucial ballistix.

MY cpu is a phenom II x4 B40 3.45GHz ;)

All I need is another 2 gig stick and ~750W PSU and I got a mid-high range rig...right?

Why... on earth... 1GB... :confused: ... :eek: ... :confused::confused:

Yup. Any decent 650W or greater PSU will do, but a good 750-850W PSU is preferable :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

nVital wrote: »
    No thanks. Ive got a ddr3 board, with 1GB crucial ballistix.

MY cpu is a phenom II x4 B40 3.45GHz ;)

All I need is another 2 gig stick and ~750W PSU and I got a mid-high range rig...right?

Buy a quality 500-600W PSU rather than a blingy 750W for 50notes that won't be able to deliver.
    A clue is the number of PCI-E 6 or 8-pin Power leads it comes with, and the number of 12V rails.

Better yet, buy a quality 650W+ PSU - those "B40"s can suck an astronomical amount of juice when OCd and unlocked, and even then they're out-sucked by a HD4870X2 :eek: A 500W PSU wouldn't stand a chance! :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement