Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange - different admins?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,

I cannot edit a distribution list in Exchange 2007.
    I access it as the network administrator.
    I have read that there can be a number of different types of administrators for exchange.
    When I access the dist list the buttons to add or remove users from the
    dist list are greyed out!

Thanks

Also, can anyone recommend a good Exchange Administration book?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

MovingOut wrote: »
    Hello,

I cannot edit a distribution list in Exchange 2007.
    I access it as the network administrator.
    I have read that there can be a number of different types of administrators for exchange.
    When I access the dist list the buttons to add or remove users from the
    dist list are greyed out!

Thanks

Also, can anyone recommend a good Exchange Administration book?

Thanks

exchange is strange like that - the network / domain admin account doesnt necessarily have permissions on all mailboxes and distro lists.. the easiest way is to grant send as permissions for relevant mailboxes / lists to domain admin account or another account setup for administering exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Exchange permissions are totally different from your network permissions. You need to grant the account you are using permission to modify that DL in the Exchange console or via the command line.

Exchange 2007 and 2010 are a different beast from their predecessors - both rely heavily on the command line power shell interface - about 90% of the main tasks will be done via command line and cannot be done in the GUI anymore.

Just a heads up.

Doh, forgot to put this in:

This command will give the specified account full access to everything in E2007 via AD.

Get-Mailboxdatabase | Add-AdPermission -User YourUserAlias -AccessRights GenericAll

That will make the listed account basically the equivalent of an enterprise admin in Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MovingOut

thanks for the input.
    I access Exchange as Domain Administrator.
    Using Admin pack from microsoft to access it from a pc directly the properties of mailboxes are grey, I can only view but cannot edit as I usually access it through a remote session and then login as domain admin.
    should i create a user in AD that I give the above rights to and use this to login with.
    What is the best book or books to get to grips with all of these damn commands with powershell?
    One helpful hint I got in the last day was to check the back up to see all the mailboxes and their size in one easy view rather using a cmdlet but that was only that one general question I had. For more detailed info I will need cmdlets.
    any more hints are very much appreciated.

By admin pack I assume you mean the RSAT? You won't be able to access it that way mate.

Exchange 2007/2010 are totally different beasts from 2003 and 5.5. Everything is done via the Exchange Command Shell (powershell with a few add-ons).

90% of what you will be doing to administer and config the environment will be done via command line. The only way is to get out there and start reading. There are many books, have a look at your local Easons and see what they have, but there is no more using the GUI to get the work done, you will need to know the commands and powershell programming structure if you plan on working with Exchange these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement