Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking rental lease

Options
  • 10-10-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

hi i recently got offered a new job down the country at very short notice so i kind of rushed into renting this place, the house is ok no major faults but i hate the location, its out in the sticks and im used of being in town with street lights and plenty of people, im really not liking the place and dreading returning home every evening. i also am not too happy with the job and cant see it lasting too long. i signed a 6 month lease a week ago, is there any kind of cooling off period were i could break the lease and not be liable for remaining rent:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Would it be easy for you to find replacement tenants?

If it's in the sticks it might be difficult, why not have a chat with your landlord about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i think it would be quiet difficult to find replacment tenants and the house is quiet small and ideally suited to two people max, im going to call into letting agency tomorrow and suss it out see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

At least it's only a 6 month lease you signed. If you're only there a week maybe give it a chance, I'm sure living somewhere remote takes getting used to. You might settle in better in time so don't worry if the agents say no to breaking the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

as far as i know a months notice is sufficient as you are there such a short time. Thats all we gave when leaving our house in Carlow. Its the law, you give the notice today you can move out in a month and will not lose your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

delonglad wrote: »
    Its the law, you give the notice today you can move out in a month and will not lose your deposit.

if your going to be so matter of fact learn the difference between part 4 tennancy and a tennancy under a fixed term lease.

OP unless you have a break clause your libel for the full 6 months. If your lucky the agency / landlord may be lenient but id be preparts to write off your deposit and rent paid so far at a minimum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

D3PO wrote: »
    if your going to be so matter of fact learn the difference between part 4 tennancy and a tennancy under a fixed term lease.

OP unless you have a break clause your libel for the full 6 months. If your lucky the agency / landlord may be lenient but id be preparts to write off your deposit and rent paid so far at a minimum

The matter of fact i got was from the tenancy laws that were printed at the back of my rent book given to me by the landlord. It stated that if only living in a house for less than a year, 1 month was sufficient notice.

Maybe this has changed but I thought it was the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

delonglad wrote: »
    The matter of fact i got was from the tenancy laws that were printed at the back of my rent book given to me by the landlord. It stated that if only living in a house for less than a year, 1 month was sufficient notice.

Maybe this has changed but I thought it was the law.
    That deoesn't apply to a fixed term contract I'm afraid unless you can find grounds to nullify the lease (say for example the ll doesn'thave/didn't produce a BER cert).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

pooch90 wrote: »
    That deoesn't apply to a fixed term contract I'm afraid unless you can find grounds to nullify the lease (say for example the ll doesn'thave/didn't produce a BER cert).

Can you break your lease for that? If they cant produce a BER cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

interesting that, regarding BER cert i didnt get nor do i think the house would get a great rating its pretty old, ill keep that in mind at the minute my decision is up in the air

Advertisement