Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I contact AIB (via email)?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm currently in the Middle East and will be here for some time. Because of the fact that the phone connection isn't always great and it will probably cost me a fortune because they usually put you on hold for so long I would like to simply email a few questions to AIB. I know they don't do 'business' via email but all I want is some information. For instance can I transfer money from here directly into my Master Card account in Ireland? What's my Swift code etc etc
    Any ideas?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sort code then aib.ie should do you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

For instance can I transfer money from here directly into my Master Card account in Ireland?
    Yes, of course. The local bank may charge you, but there would be no charges from the irish side.

Do you have a current account with AIB? Are you trying to lodge the money there and then pay off your Mastercard bill, or just pay the bill directly?
    What's my Swift code etc etc
    Any ideas?:confused:
    Log onto internet banking, check your estatements for the relevant account and your IBAN will be there (as well as the swift code).

Their swift code (you don't have a swift code, the bank does) is AIBKIE2D (from aib.ie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

there's an enquiry form online here which sends an email to them
    http://www.aib.ie/personal/home/AIB-Contact-Points

they've been pretty quick to reply to me before when i've had general queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jamesmccann

Thanks for the info guys.

Dotsman, you said there was no charge from the Irish side for foreign transfer - I wish there WAS a charge and they gave you an honest exchange rate - they actually do charge you a lot by giving you a lousy rate.

Random, thanks for the link - I had been to that page before but found it confusing - why couldn't they simply put the link to the 'Next Steps' section under the Email Enquiries heading? I had previously gone looking for it in the Online Banking site not realizing it was lurking on the upper right hand side all the time.

Dotsman, you said there was no charge from the Irish side for foreign transfer - I wish there WAS a charge and they gave you an honest exchange rate - they actually do charge you a lot by giving you a lousy rate.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think it is the Irish bank that deals with the conversion, it is whatever bank you deal with abroad.

If you think your bank in the middle east is charging you an excessive conversion rate, you might want to try xe.com. I used them years ago when I was living in the states and, at the time, they worked out far cheaper than any alternative. Haven't used them in years so can't comment on what they are like today.t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Jamesmccann

Actually it can be both. Last year I was transferring money from US and AIB gave a much better rate than Bank of America (BOA). Luckily for me BOA gave me the option to let AIB do the conversion.
    I take it you meant you 'USED' xe.com years ago? I thought about using them but it's easier to use my bank here. Thanks for the info.

Yes, "used"!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

The email address is credcard@aib.ie

Advertisement