Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Fence - Raised Bed

Options
  • 10-10-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

We had a raised flower bed put in earlier in the summer. A friend highlighted that it was against a wooden fence and this could cause damage from wet soil etc.

Would anybody have any ideas on how to protect the fence? Would like to try and sort something before the winter weather hits us.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sungsam

it is essential to protect timber fencing from the persistent moisture contained within a Raised Bed. The fence is naturally going to rot. It is essential that you remove the soil, and either|:

(a) cheap and cheerful: Line the fence with heavy duty PVC
    (b) clad/fix pressure treated boarding (decking) to fence
    (b) better and more protection: protect fence with a concrete block wall or pressure treated sleeper wall

You can see on our Blog for plenty of photos on constructing Raised Beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

Thanks for your reply.

The PVC lining sounds like a good idea and as I'm not the best DIY person and that option is probably the easiest to sort out. Would you be able to recommend anywhere to purchase the heavy duty pvc? Presume it comes in rolls?!

Whats the link to your blog also as I had a look on your profile and could not see a link.

Thanks again...
    Sungsam

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that pvc/polythene tight up against a fence would not be much of an improvement on soil, it will hold wet against the fence and still rot it. I suggest you need to create a gap between the fence and the soil using something that allows a little air circulation - possibly a row of concrete blocks as suggested, in the end it will be cheaper than replacing the fence.

SUNGSAM wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

The PVC lining sounds like a good idea and as I'm not the best DIY person and that option is probably the easiest to sort out. Would you be able to recommend anywhere to purchase the heavy duty pvc? Presume it comes in rolls?!

Whats the link to your blog also as I had a look on your profile and could not see a link.

Thanks again...
    Sungsam

Sungsam

you ask for heavy guage PVC, ie 1200 Viscreen (usually available in a few colour, Black, Grey and Blue) from good Builder Merchants. Rolls are c 30m x 3m but at least fold it 2-4 times and ensure no plastic is exposed, unsightly etc. See sig for web link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Off topic but just wanted to say thanks for the link Sonnenblumen. What a tremendous amount of work you've put into your site. The blog is a wealth of information. I especially like the featured raised bed on the blog home page. It is almost exactly what I am planning to build and it is great to see it in the flesh. Thanks!

• Advertisement

redser7 wrote: »
    Off topic but just wanted to say thanks for the link Sonnenblumen. What a tremendous amount of work you've put into your site. The blog is a wealth of information. I especially like the featured raised bed on the blog home page. It is almost exactly what I am planning to build and it is great to see it in the flesh. Thanks!

Thanks redser7, appreciate the feedback and should you have any specific questions, I would be delighted to try and help.

Best of luck:)

Advertisement