Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamu Nhengu Could Face Firing Squad

Options
  • 10-10-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

The Daily Mail have reported this morning that X-Factor wannabe hopeful Gamu released a statement, from a secret location in Scotland, claiming:
    Rejected X Factor contestant Gamu Nhengu claimed today she will face the firing squad if she is forced to return to her native Zimbabwe.

Now, can I ask, in plain and simple terms - do you believe this media frenzy has helped her or will help her in the slightest. Her mother stole a large amount of benefits and although Gamu herself is not to blame directly, one wonders whether Gamu should be given reprieve, if it also means that her mother is allowed to stay in the UK

On the other hand, Gamu is 18, and therefore seen as an adult, so should her mother be deported and herself allowed stay to look after her brothers while Gamu struggles to find a decent job and claims more state benefits?

I'd like to have compassion, and I don't want the girl to die, but it seems to be an impossible situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The Daily Mail have reported this morning that X-Factor wannabe hopeful Gamu released a statement, from a secret location in Scotland, claiming:

Now, can I ask, in plain and simple terms - do you believe this media frenzy has helped her or will help her in the slightest. Her mother stole a large amount of benefits and although Gamu herself is not to blame directly, one wonders whether Gamu should be given reprieve, if it also means that her mother is allowed to stay in the UK

On the other hand, Gamu is 18, and therefore seen as an adult, so should her mother be deported and herself allowed stay to look after her brothers while Gamu struggles to find a decent job and claims more state benefits?

I'd like to have compassion, and I don't want the girl to die, but it seems to be an impossible situation.

Daily Fail... Do you think they would deport them if there was a genuine risk to their lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

That is a load of cods wallop,and if she did make that statement she is a liar. They came on study visa as Dependants,if that changes what a lie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The X-Factor has nothing to do with it. If she wants to appeal to the Home Secretary that's fine, not just barge her way through a talent contest. She won't be "shot", I'm sure Robert Mugabe has more things to be worrying about than a reality tv show half-way around the world. None of her story makes sense, but if it did she should appeal to some other agencies, NOT a third party like the X-Factor who has nothing to do with politics and couldn't stop her being deported anyway even if she did get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

caseyann wrote: »
    and if she did make that statement she is a liar.

Then she is a liar, because the statement was made, or if she didn't make it she should sue the Daily Mail for libel
    She won't be "shot", I'm sure Robert Mugabe has more things to be worrying about than a reality tv show half-way around the world.

She claims she will, although whether or not she will, I don't think it has to do with the X Factor - I would imagine she fears being killed because of the civil war in that country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Then she is a liar, because the statement was made, or if she didn't make it she should sue the Daily Mail for libel

She claims she will, although whether or not she will, I don't think it has to do with the X Factor - I would imagine she fears being killed because of the civil war in that country

How long has there been troubles there? And if this was truth of the matter why didnt they apply for asylum in the first place.The mother applied for a study visa and was given the right to stay with her dependents until said studies were completed.This says to me looking for new reasons to stay and also using her x factor status for cry me a river story.
    If it is true wouldnt like to see anything happen to them,but i dont buy the timing of sob stories.
    If it was true they would have been working on stay rather than x factor entry.
    It looks like she did make said statement was on ITN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement