Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould removing product

• 10-10-2010 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

This is possibly the wrong forum

I have problems with mould around my shower and looking for a good product to remove it. Normal bathroom cleaners won't do it.

Any ideas anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have you tried the specific mold and mildew ones? I find they work fine. If you have that black mould well established in mastic you may have to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

if its silicone remove it using a stanley knife/sharp chisel and reapply with forever white or ct1 type silicone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Do any of the usual cleaners damage grout, tiles or seals...I've seen some bathroom cleaners attack plastics instantly like acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Get a rubber glove a clean cloth and a bottle of bleach.

wrap part of the cloth around your gloved finger and dip it in a very strong solution of bleach.

Run your finger along the grout making sure you give it all a good soaking with the bleach.

Leave overnight and wash the grout down next day.
    All the mold will be gone.

I used to work for a cleaning company and we got called to clean a lot of moldy houses. People blocking up vents and not opening windows. It was amazing the amount of builders who would say that it was rising damp etc when it was on the ceiling or high up on the walls. Cowboys.

Not opening windows or blocking vents is the cause of 90% of mold problems. So when you shower open the window or make sure the extractor fan is on and leave it on for a good hour after you are finished.

Grout gets moldy after a while anyway, so do the bleach job about once every month after you get it clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

looksee wrote: »
    Have you tried the specific mold and mildew ones? I find they work fine. If you have that black mould well established in mastic you may have to replace it.

Yeah that black stuff. Whats mastic ?
    I coudln't find any mold and mildew stuff int he local supermarkets for some reason:eek:
    Any someone recommended cillit bang so I got some of that - seems to have worked for the most part - Bang!....and the dirt is gone :D
    Sparkpea wrote: »
    if its silicone remove it using a stanley knife/sharp chisel and reapply with forever white or ct1 type silicone

Yeah I wasn't able to entirely get it out of the rubber bits (not sure if they silicone or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont want to get to much into this but if your tray is acrylic capped you need to be careful with raw bleach it makes it go yellow

Also vinager and water can break down the silicone seal.

What i usually do and i dont rec it but if your careful and dont use it often white jiff(important not yellow) works if you go lite. If you use white jiff heavy the grit can scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

QUOTE]

I think I am showing my age, silicone like the others said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

looksee wrote: »
    QUOTE]

I think I am showing my age, silicone like the others said

Actually not wishing to be padantic but silicone and mastic are often refered to as the same product but they are not.... Mastic is the lowest grade of sealent in existence. Its usually heavy oil based and is commonly used to seal concrete joints in buildings where it hardens from the sun...

Silicone remains permantantly flexi even the cheap ones to a degree...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Cheap silicone isn't the way forward either cos most get hard more than rubbery spend a few pound and get one with microban (I think u call it). You'll spend near £10 a tube but it's better in the long run. Alot of tilers use the bal sealant or what I posted earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

You should go for some natural mould removers. They are very effective and destroy the mould as effectively as chemicals do. Some of them are:
    1. Tea Tree Oil
    2. Grapefruit Seed extract
    3. Vinegar
    4. Moulderizer
    5. Borax

You should not tell people what to do.
    I'll stick to my cillit bang thanks which works just fine thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bleach gets rid of mould for me.

Advertisement