Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remix Competition 4 - Sasha

Options
  • 10-10-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the entries:-

Splitrmx 1st place for a solid piece.
    Ronan gets a close 2nd place for such a clean piece.

But, some advice and maybe a separate thread for people get involved in.

A lot of people producing here need to understand MODES - they are not complex as they may seem and can be used to colour and richen music.

I was hoping to see who would use something like modal work to make that single note become something bigger as it's probably the number one tool in theory to use when dealing with something simple.

If people are scratching their heads about it - then i'll start a thread for more in depth discussion about it!

In the meantime - here's this weeks midi (and a break from hard tasks!)

http://www.spiralking.com/boardscompo/

And a youtube to the original here.

Good luck with it! - and have fun :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi Neuro, Can you give examples of the modal stuff?

Like for instance the midi you gave us for the last test. Can you show what could have been done with it?

That would be brilliant if you could.

Really appreciating all the time and effort you are putting into this.

Cheers

Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Hi Neuro, Can you give examples of the modal stuff?

Like for instance the midi you gave us for the last test. Can you show what could have been done with it?

That would be brilliant if you could.

Really appreciating all the time and effort you are putting into this.

Cheers

Rock.

Yeah, will try to knock something up - probably more about modes in general though - it's pretty obvious/easy once you get the idea :)

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Yeah, will try to knock something up - probably more about modes in general though - it's pretty obvious/easy once you get the idea :)

Great stuff Neuro. As I said earlier, fair play for doing all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

im gonna give this a shot, need to start dedicating some proper time to making tunes

and KRD, thanks for enlightening me in the other remix thread...no need for any toe chopping, i'll share my VAST *ahem* musical knowledge with anyone here!
    i did genuinely always think if a label asked you to remix a track, then you'd get, well the sufficent supplies .....anyway i'm derailing the thread

when does this have to be completed by?

when does this have to be completed by?

Sunday 7am (ish)

Remix supplies are usually nonexistent.

• Advertisement

i had a go on my non music pc using reason 3

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/xpander

ive no idea how the mix sounds cos i was listening on dell speakers

i had a go on my non music pc using reason 3

http://soundcloud.com/cloudysound/xpander

ive no idea how the mix sounds cos i was listening on dell speakers

Make sure you submit your final version to:- http://soundcloud.com/groups/boards-ie

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

i did genuinely always think if a label asked you to remix a track, then you'd get, well the sufficent supplies

Yeah to be honest, ive been asked to do three remixes recently and ive got all the parts as stems rather than the midi. Anyone ive chatted to that regularly does remixes seems to get the same. Having just the midi is way too restricting i think.

SteveDon wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest, ive been asked to do three remixes recently and ive got all the parts as stems rather than the midi. Anyone ive chatted to that regularly does remixes seems to get the same. Having just the midi is way too restricting i think.

Yep, stems figure also, but already covered the reason why we don't use them here a few times already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I have never once been given midi for a remix. If this competition is for a practical context, I'd advise giving stems.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    I have never once been given midi for a remix. If this competition is for a practical context, I'd advise giving stems.

90% of the work i've been given has been midi (or nothing)

Plus, as per copyright and boards policy we can't use stems.

90% of the work i've been given has been midi (or nothing)

Plus, as per copyright and boards policy we can't use stems.

Happy enough with midi per reasons given. BUT, for the final test.................................

Can we get to mix a Binary Finary track???????:D

Happy enough with midi per reasons given. BUT, for the final test.................................

Can we get to mix a Binary Finary track???????:D

Probably - once it's setup and organised a bit more - will probably be a larger affair via facebook or something :) with actual prizes :)

Getting to do a remix (of one of your tracks) would be a prize in itself:)

Getting to do a remix (of one of your tracks) would be a prize in itself:)

HAHAHA PLEASE.

I know about a million more people with better material than me ;)

Make sure you submit your final version to:- http://soundcloud.com/groups/boards-ie

:)

ah, will do

HAHAHA PLEASE.

I know about a million more people with better material than me ;)

I very much doubt that:D

I very much doubt that:D

Serious - you wouldn't believe how rudimentary my music is - a few little tricks here and there and a keen ear (from years of jamming with guitar)

All my music still aspires to get close to an album made circa 95 - Eat Static - Implant - really can't touch the solid work on there in every department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

All my music still aspires to get close to an album made circa 95 - Eat Static - Implant - really can't touch the solid work on there in every department.

Bloody genius album - Survivors is one of my all time favourite tracks - Fookin' Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ah, I thought I heard influences of Implant at the start of that Steven Hawking song. It was some album. Saw them in a half empty SFX in 95 and again the following year headling Dance Valley (Holland) when I spent a summer living out of a caravan working on bulb farms over there. The Ozric Tentacles were great too - they're playing the Button Factory this Sunday for anyone interested.

I'll try and make time for this but making a dance song doesn't really appeal to me. Still, bucket loads to work with in comparison.

• Advertisement

My version is up. It might be back down again as the drums sound a bit loud in parts.

Completely different tune to the original but based on it:D

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/expand-or-contract-my-sad-take-on-the-sasha-classic-xpander

Cheers.

My version is up. It might be back down again as the drums sound a bit loud in parts.

http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover/expand-or-contract-my-sad-take-on-the-sasha-classic-xpander

Cheers.

Yo guys,
    This track just got into the soundcloud hotlist. Really happy about that. Thanks for all the plays from here.

Cheers
    Rocksham.

Yo guys,
    This track just got into the soundcloud hotlist. Really happy about that. Thanks for all the plays from here.

Cheers
    Rocksham.

How do you see the hotlist?

How do you see the hotlist?
    Go to Tracks, then select explore tracks. That's the overall hotlist for soundcloud. I'm on page 4:D

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Yo guys,

Cheers
    Rocksham.

good man vinny :)

jaysus i'd say you're buzzing at the minute, well done :D

red dave wrote: »
    good man vinny :)

jaysus i'd say you're buzzing at the minute, well done :D

Cheers Dave,

Yeah, it's great. I'll probably be gone before sunrise though:D

Thanks.

Nice version Rock, you must be delighted that it's been so well received.

Well ,here is my version finished. Don't think I can listen to it ever again:

http://soundcloud.com/android-78/sasha-expander-android-78s-subdivision-mix

Cheers.

yep, nice effort

i think im counting myself out of this one, as android said, im sick of listening to it!! - and i only messed with it for a couple of hours

yep, nice effort

i think im counting myself out of this one, as android said, im sick of listening to it!! - and i only messed with it for a couple of hours

Thanks Cloudsound, my other track just went in the hot list. Crazy stuff.

You should stick with this track. I;m sure Neuro will point out that when you are a pro (you) you wont always like what you have to work with.

Sorry for hijacking the thread:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

You should stick with this track. I;m sure Neuro will point out that when you are a pro (you) you wont always like what you have to work with.
    Yeah I dislike the original track so much that I find it hard to attempt a remix. :) If I was a professional artist and was being paid that would probably give me a but more of an incentive though. I'll see how I feel over the weekend however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement