Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next step

• 10-10-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Today I completed Couch to 5K. It was my 3rd attempt to complete the programme, having been delayed before by a few injuries.

I thought I would create a training log and use this as my main place to get feedback on my progress and the like.

However now my attention has turned to what is next for me. I have entered the Jingle Bells 5K in December and while my current pace is very slow (I'm looking at 40 mins plus for a 5K distance), I really would like to not finish last at the Jingle Bells race.

So it's been suggested that I try this training plan now:

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

It seems good enough and I'm currently doing over 2 miles each workout anyway so I could most likely begin on Week 4 of that and have it complete with 4 weeks to go to the actual race. I've considered doing some fartlek training as well but I'm undecided about that.

I've also got a 10K programme that I was thinking about starting too. It begins with four 10 minute jogs with a 1 minute walking break between them. So by my estimate, if I started out on that programme now, I'd be doing 5K almost from the first or second week.

Thoughts as to how to proceed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

So I think I've figured out what I'm going to do regards training. I was talking to a long distance runner friend of mine and below is kind of what he suggested.

I'm going to follow the Hal Higdon Notice 5K plan, but begin on Week 5 as I'm already doing about 2.2 miles in training as it is. I'm going to replace the shorter Thursday run with a fartlek session as follows:

Week 1 – 1min run, 1min walk x 6

Week 2 – 1min run 1min walk x 8

Week 3 – 1min run 1min walk x 10

Week 4 – 2min run 1min walk x 6

Week 5 – 2min run 1 min walk x 8

Week 6 – 2min run 1 min walk x 10

Then on the Sunday, do a longer jog/run but perhaps at an easier pace...

Week 1 – 5k

Week 2 – 6k

Week 3 – 7k

Week 4 – 8k

Week 5 – 9k

Week 6 – 10k

Hopefully that will be ok :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Today I completed Couch to 5K. It was my 3rd attempt to complete the programme, having been delayed before by a few injuries.

I thought I would create a training log and use this as my main place to get feedback on my progress and the like.

However now my attention has turned to what is next for me. I have entered the Jingle Bells 5K in December and while my current pace is very slow (I'm looking at 40 mins plus for a 5K distance), I really would like to not finish last at the Jingle Bells race.

So it's been suggested that I try this training plan now:

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

It seems good enough and I'm currently doing over 2 miles each workout anyway so I could most likely begin on Week 4 of that and have it complete with 4 weeks to go to the actual race. I've considered doing some fartlek training as well but I'm undecided about that.

I've also got a 10K programme that I was thinking about starting too. It begins with four 10 minute jogs with a 1 minute walking break between them. So by my estimate, if I started out on that programme now, I'd be doing 5K almost from the first or second week.

Thoughts as to how to proceed?

Well done on finishing the C25K, good luck with the next phase.

So I finally got around to starting my 5K training plan. I decided to take 3 days off from training after completing Couch to 5K and today I started the 5K training plan. I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice 5K plan and I began with Week 5 today. I did a 2.5 mile run/jog today and that took me 32.5 minutes. I know it's horrifically slow but there you go.

I think I went out of the starting blocks too fast as my legs were getting heavy towards the end. I've previously done about 2.2 miles non-stop so 2.5 is not much of an increase.

I'm going to incorporate 1 days fartlek training so perhaps tomorrow, I will do that or Friday. I'm thinking about doing a 4K jog at an easier pace either over the weekend or on Tuesday.

I couldn't be arsed doing a long-ish run this morning but it just worked out in such a way that today would have been the shorter run of the week according to the programme I'm following and as mentioned before, I'm swapping out the shorter run of the week and replacing it with a fartlek session. Today I would have be due to complete a 2 mile run but instead I did my first fartlek session and it was as follows:

1 min run, 1 min walk X 6

And although that was just a 12 minute workout in total, it felt surprisingly thorough by the end. Before it started I was thinking to myself "Come on, a 12 minute workout isn't much, you really should do more". But by the end, I was definitely feeling like I'd worked quite hard. My legs were tired and I was walking back quite slowly so I'd definitely pushed myself quite a bit. I sprinted very fast during the run's and tried to stick to what my mate told me "the tempo of your first run should be maintainable and be the same as the tempo of your last run". I think it was pretty much, although there were times when I was going up a bit of an incline and I could feel my legs getting tired so it might have slowed a tiny bit.

I checked my Garmin there now and my fastest pace was 6:58 min/mile. I guess that's good but I was only able to maintain that pace for about a minute at a time. I don't know how someone could run at that pace or faster for any duration.

Tomorrow I'm either going to do the 2.5 mile run or doing a longer easier pace run and get my first 5K distance under my belt. I'd probably supposed to do the 2.5 mile run tomorrow judging by the programme but I'd prefer to do the easier paced 5K long run tomorrow morning than on Tuesday evening.

I did my first long run today. I went out and did 5K and it took me 47 minutes 18 seconds. I was delibrately going very, very slowly today. I really wasn't trying to do it fast, I just wanted to get the distance done as I'd never done 5K before.

It was quite comfortable, I was barely going faster than a walking pace though. For a change I listened to the marathon talk podcast today instead of my usual fast dance music. It was interesting as I've never listened to a podcast when training. I think they are good during those longer runs when you don't care about pace and you want something to occupy your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cool, well done. You'll be much faster by the time the Jingle Bells rolls around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Am so proud for you GM.:D YOu have come such a long way since you were only able to run one minute witout stopping.

You will find the fartlek sessions a help. By the way, you are able to get up quite a bit of pace, good on ya. YOur runs the following day will seem an awful lot easier after these short fast bursts.

I listen to a lot of podcasts as well. I often have interviews on them. I recommend the one with miriam o callaghan with Katie Taylor and her dad. The one with the two cork girls - who do the fancy Vittels on the TV is also quite funny. Tommy Tiernan got me through the Seville marathon at one stage. All free on RTE to download.
    At the moment I am using my ipod less as I am practising self talk - positive stuff and trying to visualize my race but its nice to have the option. Somtimes I have it and dont switch it on til I get bored or need distraction.
    Keep at it. IM sure your weight is coming down as well as your times going up. Enjoy it. It must not become a chore.

Cheers.

My eating hasn't been great to be honest so the weight loss has temporarily stopped. I need to get that sorted. My right shin is a little sore this evening, not much, it's barely noticeable. It's more of a "I can feel I exercised today" feeling than an ache or pain. Anyway, tomorrow is a rest day then I'll do 2.5 miles on Tuesday and then I'm heading home to the north on Wednesday so I'll be resting up there too.

Think I'm going to rest up for a few extra days. My right shin feels slightly tender after yesterdays 5K long run. I don't want to end up with shin splints or something so I think a few days extra rest is in order.

Not much of an update here. I was kind of due to head out yesterday for a 2.5 mile run but I was very very tired so I gave it a miss. I also wanted to give my shins a bit more of a rest after Sunday as one of them in particular felt a bit tender.

It will most likely be the weekend before I'm out for a run again. I'm going home this evening to sort out a few things. I also have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning so hopefully he will give me the all clear to race in the 5K in December.

I used to be very strict about training and would go even when I felt a bit injured. I think I've wised up a bit in that regard now and I'm willing to change training plans to suit my circumstances. For example if my knees feel particularly achy, I won't mind taking one or two days extra rest to hopefully avoid an injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Great to see ya over here man!

As you go on you will become more in tune with your body with aches, pains. Problem with most of us is that we don't really listen to our bodies! Good to be in tune so early on in the process.

I really look forward to seeing you progress over the next few weeks.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Great to see ya over here man!

As you go on you will become more in tune with your body with aches, pains. Problem with most of us is that we don't really listen to our bodies! Good to be in tune so early on in the process.

I really look forward to seeing you progress over the next few weeks.

Cheers ULstudent.

On a seperate note, there's one word that's been stuck in my head all day. It's a long way off and perhaps completely unrealistic but...

All I can think of is this....

Ultra!

Still at home in the north. Went to the doctor and he thinks my blood pressure is high so wants to check it again on Monday and he's doing some blood tests too for cholesterol and the like. I went to him as a few weeks ago I got a funny fluttery type feeling in my chest when I was training that went away after a few seconds, but which came back two days later when training, although again it went away after a few seconds and hasn't bothered me since. Seems to be some sort of palpitation, although it happened to me a few years ago when jogging/running too but again it would go away after a few seconds and would happen quite randomly. Not sure if the few cans of Coke I was drinking per day was helping so I've cut those out. He listed to my heart and said it sounded fine, no mumur or arrythmia which is good!

Anyone else had those palpitations before when training?

He said it's ok for me to do the 5K race, just don't go completely insane when trying to run it.

I didn't bring my gear home with me so I haven't been out training since earlier in the week. Probably not a bad thing, it will give my joints and stuff a bit longer to rest. Aiming to head out for a 2.5 mile run on Monday when I get back to Dublin.

I must have been carrying a rock of Kryptonite on me this evening during my run as it was complete torture. I went out with the intention of doing 2.5 miles at least but aiming to do 2.75 miles. In the end I pulled up just after the 2 mile mark and left it at that.

My legs felt like two huge anchors swaying in my tracksuit bottoms. I wore my Lidl running jacket which seemed like a good idea but I was getting too warm by about 15 minutes in. I had absolutely no speed or pace today, nothing.

I think the main reason for the train wreck of a workout today was that I stayed up late last night and I only got about 6 hours sleep. Mistake number 1. Mistake number 2, I had a salad for lunch and to be honest, it didn't really sustain me. I had the words of the nurse I was talking to yesterday ringing in my ears "Salads are ok but they don't tend to fill you up very much and you can find yourself feeling hungry again quite soon". No truer a word was spoken as by 2pm I could feel myself getting hungry and by 3pm I really needed to eat something.

However I was past the point of no return. I don't eat in the preceding 2-3 hours before going for a run so I knew I had to just do without. My whole insides felt empty and I just had no energy at all.

A torture workout today. As punishment I'm thinking about forcing myself to do 2.75 miles tomorrow to make up for it.

A much, much better workout this morning. On the way home work yesterday I bought a bottle of Lucozade sport on the recommendation of a friend. I got up this morning had a few mouthfuls of water and several mouthfuls of Lucozade sport, did 5-10 minutes stretching then went out for my run.

The last day the run went very badly, I was struggling to do 2 miles, legs felt like lead, no energy, heart rate too high, awful workout in general.

Today was a complete 180. I started out slow for the first couple of minutes but gradually felt myself speeding up a little. My heart rate was at a nice comfortable rate and I was running well within myself. I aimed to do at least 2.5 miles today but really wanted to do 2.75 miles as I've missed a few training sessions.

To my surprise I was able to increase the speed a bit and maintain it. I'm still not going particularly fast but I seem to be a bit faster anyway. About 3/4's of the way into my workout though I started to get rumblings down below. I had a feeling that might happen so I ended up stopping at 2.74 miles as I was reaching the exit of the park and I knew I had pushed it too much and might not make it back to the little boys room in time if I kept going.

Anyway though it was a really good workout. I ran on the tarmac path this morning as the grass was very muddy and slippery after the rain.

I did 2.74 miles, average speed 10.23min/mile and it took me 35 minutes, 53 seconds. I'm aiming to do 5k or 6k LSR tomorrow.

I also wore my Lidl running tights out today for the first time. I have to admit feeling a bit self-conscious wearing them but after a few minutes I didn't care. I have to admit they feel a lot better to wear than the tracksuit pants I've been wearing up until now. The tracksuit pants are too baggy and sort of seem to weigh me down or something. Thankfully the Lidl tights have a small zip pocket in the back for my keys and the iPhone arm band is finally being used after gathering dust for well over a year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great to see you enjoying your running and getting into the habit. The fact that you are running well within yourself is great as you progress it will be important to keep these runs easy. This is something alot of even experienced seasoned competitors can struggle with.

Keep up the good work

Well done that man.:)

I often have nightmare runs after long breaks. Legs feel like I am starting right from scratch and have forgotten that I am actually able to move .
    Then the run after that is back to its usual flow.
    There are so many lessons that we learn as to how our bodies cope and behave when we deviate from its usual routine.I think this is important when staying injury free.

Try not take more than two days off in a row. When you go home again or away for an extended break, take your runners, You might not manage a run but you can often squeeze in a brisk walk.
    I know cans of fizzy non diet orange provide 50% of an adults daily sugar intake so a couple of cans would be total sugar for the day. Its probably similar for coke but that has caffeine also . Try and save them for treats . I am a diet coke addict( there , I said it ) but I am trying to cut down to about 4 cans a week.

YOu are making FABULOUS progress with you running. KEEP IT UP.:D

Well done that man.:)

I often have nightmare runs after long breaks. Legs feel like I am starting right from scratch and have forgotten that I am actually able to move .
    Then the run after that is back to its usual flow.
    There are so many lessons that we learn as to how our bodies cope and behave when we deviate from its usual routine.I think this is important when staying injury free.

Try not take more than two days off in a row. When you go home again or away for an extended break, take your runners, You might not manage a run but you can often squeeze in a brisk walk.
    I know cans of fizzy non diet orange provide 50% of an adults daily sugar intake so a couple of cans would be total sugar for the day. Its probably similar for coke but that has caffeine also . Try and save them for treats . I am a diet coke addict( there , I said it ) but I am trying to cut down to about 4 cans a week.

YOu are making FABULOUS progress with you running. KEEP IT UP.:D

Yippee, my first groupie ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the kind words.

This morning I went out for an LSR and did a tad over 6K at about 11.23min/mile pace and this took me 57 mins 11 seconds. I wasn't really going for speed today, it was distance. I started out quite slow but again I naturally sped up as time went on, it was more of an effort to go slow than it was to go a tiny bit faster. Average heart rate was about 155 bpm which was comfortable. It's amazing to think that I can run for almost an hour now non-stop. And even more amazingly, I could have kept going today for a lot longer. I started to feel myself get a bit hungry about 3/4's of the way towards the end as I'd had no breakfast but I could have easily kept going for another half an hour.

The park was waterlogged so I had to run around the tarmac path again today. I stepped onto it and my foot immediately slipped so I tiptoed like a ballerina off the grass back onto the tarmac. I did a about 3/4 of the loop and tried the grass again and all I heard was "squish, squish, squish" and I looked ahead to see several pools of water and could feel cold liquid starting to seep into my GT 2150's so I ejected once more for the tarmac and stayed there this time. Joints feel fine so far, a little achy but barely noticeable to be honest.

I need to change my mentality when running as I find myself looking at my Garmin to see when I've done 5K and seeing that it's at about 47 minutes into my run and I'm like "I'm definitely going to finish last at that Jingle Bells 5K race". I'm not sure how to change that way of thinking tbh.

Not much else to report now. Training should hopefully be back on track more or less. I have to head home at the end of next week again to get more dental work done and I'll aim to bring my gear with me to go for a run.

Rest day tomorrow. Then out for a 2.75 or 3 mile run on Tuesday.

Something even more amazing I noticed. I got up and checked my blood pressure straight away after getting out of bed. It was ok, but after coming back from my run and stretching, my blood pressure was lower than it was when I got out of bed. I'm not surprised. After the run I felt a nice calmness and relaxation. It was enjoyable.

Its no harm to practice running on hard surface. Most of your races will be on solid ground and now that your body is getting used to the distance , you need to build up tolerance to running on tarmac as well.
    Can you set your garmin to the distance and then leave it in your arse pocket? Dont bother looking at it . It will beeep when you are done and you can run as you feel without constant reference to it.
    what date is the Jingle bells?

You could also consider running some of the middle mile a bit faster...say heart rate up about 7 beats? You need to get used to pushing your comfort zone for maybe 5 mins at a time , once in a while.

The Jingle Bells race is Saturday the 4th of December in the Phoenix Park. Are you going to do it?? :D

I've only managed to do one sort of fartlek session so far. I'm aiming to do another one this week though so hopefully that will help with the speed. I'm also aiming to do my 2.75 or 3 mile run tomorrow a wee bit faster too.

• Advertisement

Im not sure . Its a long way to go for a 5k run.And I will have been away the previous weekend. Would love to see you crossing the line though :).

Skip the fractions at this stage and just do the 3. The difference between it and 2.75 isnt much. YOu need to get used to going that tad further at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

GM don't be worrying about coming last at the Jingle Bells 5k! I'm doing it too and I will definitely be way behind you. Just think - you can look over your shoulder at any time and I'll still be there way back in the distance, my shining red face like a beacon of hope, reassuring you that you're not last :p.

Seriously though, you're doing great with the running and there's still over a month til the race. You need to have more confidence in yourself and I think you'll surprise yourself with how well you do!

Back on track more or less I think. I hadn't been out for a run since last Sunday when I did my LSR. I had meant to go out Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday but a combination of bad weather, laziness, and other things resulted in me not heading out. I decided that I had to go out this morning and go for a run and that is what I did.

I ran 3.16 miles this morning in 41 minutes 52 seconds. I converted that distance and apparently it's just a tad over 5K which is good. I was going at a slow enough pace too, I didn't have loads of energy, but I wasn't completely wrecked either. My heart rate was comfortable enough in the 155-165bpm range for most of the time.

I got passed at one point by a woman much older than me who was running/jogging. I'd say she would be in her 60's anyway. For a second I was tempted to put the hammer down and try to catch her up. But truth be told I simply didn't have a lot left in the tank today. I had something left, but not much. Instead I just tried to focus on this phrase "Just get the miles on the clock, that's all that matters, don't worry about speed".

My average speed was about 13min/mile pace today which is slow enough but it was reasonably comfortable. I think the extra days break was starting to show so it was good that I went out and nipped it in the bud today. I was hoping to go out for an LSR tomorrow but it looks like I'm going out tonight and if it's a late one, there's no hope of me doing any running tomorrow.

The park was still like a swamp today so I stuck to the tarmac. I also bought a brand new pair of Asics GT 2150's which are what I have been wearing. I kind of plan to alternate between them and the ones's I currently have.

Went out this morning and completed a LSR which was about 7.1k and it took me just over 1 hour I think. I say "I think" as I seemed to have wiped my Garmin by accident and hadn't got the data uploaded. It caused the app to freeze when it tried to upload and then it wouldn't respond. Had to reset the watch which didn't seem to work and I somehow reset it some other way and it lost all the data. No biggie, I only lost today's workout from it, everything else from before it stored.

I went a bit slower today as it was an LSR. However over the last kilometre, I sped up a bit. I met the old woman who lapped me yesterday and she said hello today which was nice of her.

I'm wondering if I'm more suited to longer distances than short distances. I don't seem to have a load of pace at the start. But if I start out steady and don't blow up, I can usually keep going continuously. My only enemies being boredom and that wee voice in my head saying "you can't keep going" when I know for a fact as I can as I feel comfortable. I could probably have kept going for a few K today and reached 10K comfortably.

I ran the park in the opposite direction today and I think it's a bit more of a gradient so it's probably better preparation for races.

Formula 1 is on today and it's hard to believe but I'm almost considering skipping it to watch the NY marathon online.

Funnily enough today I was thinking it might be fun to enter myself regularly in 5K and 10K races around Ireland. I've been looking for things to do and it would be a nice way to get out and about and to meet new people I guess.

Well, just an idea anyway. Don't know how feasible it is though!

Great going GM. Keep it up. Keep adding to your distance on your weekend runs, apart from the odd step back week every 3 or 4. By working up towards 10k, your 5k race will seem easier and you will be spoiled for choice with all the 10 k races around the country:D

Great going GM. Keep it up. Keep adding to your distance on your weekend runs, apart from the odd step back week every 3 or 4. By working up towards 10k, your 5k race will seem easier and you will be spoiled for choice with all the 10 k races around the country:D

Cheers H2T.

Feeling a bit run down today, like I'm getting a cold. I was planning to head out and do 3 miles this evening but I will see how I'm feeling then.

Haven't been out for a run this week since my LSR of 7.1K last Sunday. I'm now in the north and I didn't bring my runners either. Am hoping though to head back to Dublin on Saturday morning and get a run in then and Sunday.

I've really been messing around this last week or two and haven't been doing enough running. I think I'm ok in that I have a half decent level of fitness built up so it hopefully won't disappear overnight, but I really need to nip this laziness and procrastination in the bud.

I noticed Asics are bringing out GT-2160's this month/next month. They look all shiny and new and had I not just bought a pair of 2150's last week, I'd maybe go for a pair of 2160's. Let's see how it goes anyway, I might buy some as a reward for finishing the Jingle Bells 5K :) Although I think there's still a good bit of mileage left in my first pair of 2150's that I bought back around or just before the summer.

I also bought Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. I need some sort of focus eating wise and I'm hoping it will help me sort out my diet.

Not much else to report. Except that yesterday (Thursday) I won a signed photo of Jessica Ennis - phwoar ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Keep up the good work GM and when you get out there over the weekend, you'll prob find no difference in your fitness but maybe you'll be a bit fresher. Everyone has those lazy weeks!

I was just looking at that book yesterday as someboady had recommended it as a good read; let me know what you think of it. Happy reading!

• Advertisement

Just back from a 5K run. It started out ok and I felt reasonably fresh but I could feel myself slowing down as I approached the 2K mark. I was like "Ah balls, this is going to be another one of those hard runs, I knew I shouldn't have left it that long".

Anyway I kept going and I had one eye on my watch as I wanted to be back to my apartment for 9am to buy tickets for something that was going on sale. As it was approaching 9am I said to myself, I will just do 4K and then head back. But once I got to 4K I said to myself "Sure you might as well just go ahead and do the 5K now, it's only another 8-10 minutes". So I did that and I checked my Garmin and I did 5.02K in 40 minutes, 57 seconds.

I'd say with a bit more training and proper nutrition, I could crack 40 minutes by the Jingle Bells 5K but let's see how it goes.

It was cold and windy this morning but most importantly, it was dry. I would love to have stayed in but I forced myself out and am glad I did it now, even if I don't feel spectacularly better for it. Mentally I know it was better than just lying around the couch all morning.

Resting now for the rest of the day, and out to do a 8K LSR tomorrow morning.

I was at my doctor on Thursday getting a bit of a follow up appointment. About a month ago I'd noticed what seemed to be like heart palpitations when I was training and while I didn't feel ill or anything, it was a bit worrying even though it only lasted a few seconds. Anyway I was talking to him on Thursday and he asked me if I was still running and I said I was and that I had done 5K the previous Saturday and 7K the previous Sunday. He said "Gosh, I wish I could do 7K". I think he is struggling a bit himself with weight and stuff so I started telling him about the Couch to 5K programme :D

Anyway, after initially thinking I had high blood pressure, it now turns out my blood pressure is fine after monitoring it for about 10+ days. I just need to get the cholesterol down a bit!

Advertisement