Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathurst 1000 - What a Joke.

Options
  • 10-10-2010 12:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I used to be involved in Motor Sport and would make an annual pilgrimage there every year. Used to book a week of holidays to get up there and work as a Flag Marshal.

Have not followed Motor Sport for quite a few years now, since the TV stopped covering the sport and began dictating how it's run for the audience at home. That was back in the 90's

Today I was home alone and it's a wet day, so thought I would take a look at the once "Great Race". It was a mere shadow of what it used to be, only 31 on the Grid to start. Just one class with only two car types which are almost identical anyway, other than the Badges which the drunken yobbos can recognise in their low IQ alcoholic stupor and keep the Holden or Ford tribalism alive.

So it has long descended into a TV spectacle but maybe there was still some essence of it's former glory remaining. Little hope as it seemed to be a procession behind the Safety Car for endless laps. It seems that a driver has to only pass wind and they send a stupid Safety Car out on to the circuit. What a complete and utter joke. At least I have my memories of when it was a real Motor Race rather than some scripted reality TV con.

Rant Over ... Normal transmission resumes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like its current official name - Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 :p

King Brock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Arrr yes ..... when it was a real race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

The Rot set in in the 90's when they Banned all non Australian Manufactured Cars,

Apparently it was only this year that a V8 finally managed to Break the Record time set by a GTR Skyline all them years ago.

Did you happen to watch the Fiasco that was the 7 Coverage?????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I kept switching across and each time I did it seemed to be when a safety car was out on the track.

I still remember Jim Richards on the podium "You're all a bunch of A**eholes" when they were booing his victory. Those GTR Skylines were sweet.

Do you remember that Nissan Bluebird which was super quick back in the 80's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

The Eighties Car I liked the Best was Brocks 850BMW that was a beautiful piece of machinery, but then again I'm only watchin the repeats because

in the Eighties I was

A very Young child

Living in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

disappointing stuff alright, had been looking forward to it. apart for the 1st lap & the helicopter crash it was a complete borefest, thank god for Moto GP. is the Sydney 500 worth a look?

Advertisement