Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colin Murray (MOTD2) on the radio

• 10-10-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭

"Colin Murray's footie in mouth moment

MotD Col calls Sheikh 'killer'

HOW STARE YOU: Colin Murray, left, made a tastless gag about Sheikh Mansour's eyes

By James Desborough, 10/10/2010

HE shoots his mouth off, he scorns... and it's the own goal of the season.

Match of the Day 2 host Colin Murray dropped an astonishing on-air clanger by saying Manchester City's billionaire Arab owner looks like a "serial killer".

Colin Murray brands Man City owner Sheikh Mansour a 'serial killer' in radio rant
    Last night he apologised to angry BBC bosses after they gave him a kicking over the tasteless gag about Sheikh Mansour.

The TV and Radio 5 Live presenter - who has to remain impartial about football and repeatedly claims he is able to do so when on air - was a guest on a Canadian satellite radio show.

Murray, 33, is being investigated by BBC chiefs after making a series of outrageous claims and tasteless jokes on the football phone-in show, broadcast from Toronto.

The presenter attacked Sheikh Mansour, the Arab tycoon who is worth £20 billion and has pumped more than £200 million into City.

He joked that he was stunned when he finally saw pictures of the United Arab Emirates royal at City's 3-0 home win against Liverpool in August, saying: "He did have the eyes of a serial killer."

Murray then quickly backtracked with: "Now I would like to state on record that he is not a serial killer." But he continued: "He does have an eye of someone who just goes: 'I am just crazy'."

And in other shocking outbursts on the same phone-in on Thursday night he also joked that:

- Pop paedophile Gary Glitter only failed to escape justice because he could sing - but not dance

- Manchester United owners the Glazers and the current Liverpool bosses had "the heart of a pea"

- Anfield owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett used the club as a "virtual monetary refuse dump" and told them: "Good riddance"

- Liverpool stars like Steven Gerrard aren't affected by what goes on in the boardroom, and many aren't "fit to wear the shirt"

- And, encouraged to swear on-air, he ended the incredible interview by saying: "Just before I go, f**k"

Murray's explosive comments have plunged the BBC into a fresh crisis - two years after the Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross 'Sachsgate' scandal.

They were made when Murray, apparently speaking on his mobile phone from Northern Ireland, was quizzed about the role of big money bosses in Premiership.

After his comments, the Northern Irish broadcaster continued: "It's the bed that footballers made and it's a very boring story, we all know it.

"The sugar daddies are drying up so I don't think there's going to be another six or seven clubs that can compete, I'm not even talking Premier League, I'm talking worldwide."

Fanatical

Asked by The Footy Show host James Sharman about the possibility of a billionaire sheikh coming to Liverpool, he joked: "I'd give him a bed bath. I'd offer myself up. I'd say 'whatever you need to pump the money in', you know, that's where I'd come down."

Murray is a fanatical Liverpool fan who pledged to be totally impartial when joining MOTD2 in April.

But he replied: "I'm going to leave it at this because even on satellite radio you could get into trouble, the best way to get away with a heinous crime is to be able to sing and dance."

Murray then continued on his rant, ridiculously suggesting Gary Glitter would not have been convicted for his crimes had he been able to sing and dance. He then added: "I think Sheikh Mansour would not be above the law because I don't feel he would have that good a singing voice.

"He could probably dance but I don't think he would have that good a singing voice."

Murray - who introduces millions to the weekend's Premiership highlights on Sunday nights - then turned his fire on controversial outgoing Liverpool FC owners, Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks, and Manchester United's US chiefs, the Glazer family.

Talking about the Liverpool chiefs, he compared the club to rival Manchester United, saying: "Liverpool and Manchester United find themselves in exactly the same boat.

"Two owners that by all accounts have had the heart of a pea when it comes to realising that it's not like running the local corner shop, it's not like running a supermarket.

"They've used it as a virtual monetary refuse dump and the fans want to see the back of them. As a sports journalist it looks like the right step for Liverpool. As a fan - good riddance to them.

"Let's hope they never ever own a sporting club again. Let's hope they never get to do that to another sporting institution and I hope Glazer's not far behind."

But Murray still wasn't done. He then had some choice words for the players of the club he supports: "Players like Babel who aren't worth a million pounds, let alone 11 million."

Sniping at Reds legend Steven Gerrard, he continued: "But the players have a responsibility too. I don't believe the players are affected by what's going on in the boardroom.

"I don't think Steven Gerrard goes home to his swimming pool or his Jacuzzi or in front of his 48-inch TV and says 'sorry love, I can't enjoy my millions of pounds until I know what's happening with Gillett and Hicks'. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

"I have seen those performances and some of those players aren't fit to wear the Liverpool shirt and I think (Roy) Hodgson is is the man to turn it around but I think even Woy has walked into that job and thought 'wat 'av I done, wat 'av I done? 'orrible lot'."

Bragged

Although Murray's comments were not on a BBC show - he was invited due to his Beeb credentials as a presenter of various TV and radio programmes - his comments echo the problems created by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross's Sachsgate scandal and Carol Thatcher's 'golliwog' comment dismissal.

The Footy Show airs on the Score satellite radio channel, which although not bound by strict laws on language or subject matter, is regarded as a family show.

Host James Sharman egged on Murray to swear during his 25 minute appearance - at first he refused, but then bragged: "I'm the only British presenter to have said every single swear word on British radio 'cause I did a documentary called Listen With Motherf***** and it was about swearing on radio and what you can and can't say.

"There's a great website, it's called radiofail.dk and they log all of the mistakes that presenters make. I have a few up there.

"But the best one's a presenter called Nicky Campbell on Five Live breakfast who said, instead of the Kent countryside, he said: 'Let's cross over to the c*** kentryside. It was blinding."

Murray, described as a 'friend of The Footy Show', lived in Toronto in his teens, and the Premiership is one of the biggest sports in Canada.

Earlier this year after taking over from Adrian Chiles' cult role as MOTD2 host Murray set his stall out to fans.

Murray - who has a Canadian girlfriend - barked: "I like a laugh but I am serious also about football and the impartiality required to respect all football fans."

But these outbursts are sure to alienate some of his three million-strong Sunday night audience - and spark an investigation into the interview at Broadcasting House.

BBC insiders fear that it will not only make his job untenable but could also lead to legal action.

One astonished fan said they were shocked by the presenter's comments. They said: "I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Making jokes about Gary Glitter after what he did, is disgusting.

"It wasn't relevant to the conversation and was an extraordinary strange and inflammatory thing to say.

"But joking about a known paedophile on a family show was taking it a step too far. I'd have thought that someone in Colin Murray's position would know better.

"If he was on as a fan it would have been fair, but he went on as the BBC man and Match Of The Day host."

Murray's comments will no doubt infuriate bosses at the BBC, which prides itself on impartiality. In fact, the first line of the corporations editorial guidelines stipulate: "Impartiality lies at the heart of the BBC's commitment to its audiences.

"It applies across all of our services and output, whatever the format, from radio news bulletins via our web sites to our commercial magazines and includes a commitment to reflecting a diversity of opinion."

After we alerted them, Beeb chiefs launched an investigation into the broadcast. A spokesman said last night: "Colin has recognised he overstepped the mark."

Manchester City declined to comment."

Hate the guy, can't stand watching his shows, hope this is the last of him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

He's probably right about Sheikh Mansour, the UAE is a nasty little polity where the royal family enjoys absolute rule. Having a well armed security apparatus is key to banana republics everywhere.

Of course things like democracy and fairness are not as important as Premier League football, rest easy Man City fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's an absolute tool is Colin Murray. Hope they sack him over this and get someone who is a lot less of an arsehole to do MOTD2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mountain out of molehill crap from bullshit tabloid.

Edit: Much like the Brand/Ross story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well he is such a motor mouth its hardly a surprise somthing like this has happened.
    Hopefully this will mean he is less ubiquitous on 5live which he is over like a rash these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

don't really see what the issue here is

• Advertisement

Whats the problem :confused:

Have I just been tricked into reading a daily mail article???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Papa Smut wrote: »

Exactly what I thought. But a quick google tells me it's from the NOTW. Even worse moron fodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He seems very likeable. He is censored on 5 Live but is still great on Fighting Talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Papa Smut wrote: »

Hey everyone seems to love the Daily Mail here imo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

When he got the MOTD 2 gig I have to say I thought the BBC had made a mistake and his few highlight shows during the world cup seemed to back this up.

However I have to say he is doing a good job on motd2 and have to say I like him. Now if only they would get rid of Lawro and Hansen :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

hes not the man for the BBC I have to say, he needs to go somewhere where he wont be censored. He is great at dividing opinion, but not in the Dunphy way. BBC need robots and he is not one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

BBC in public apology over non-issue shocker :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Also if Murray gets the sack it spells the end for Bob Mills :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't see a problem with anything there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I remember Paul Merton repeatedly saying that the Pope has the eyes of a killer on an episode of Have I Got News For You once. It was quite funny.

What is also funny is that this article repeatedly uses the word 'Premiership' which hasn't been the name of the league since I think 2007. I know some people still use the term casually, but a newspaper with an editor shouldn't make that mistake. The following sentence didn't even make sense:

"the Premiership is one of the biggest sports in Canada."

Ridiculous article really.

Advertisement