Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painters in Tramore

Options
  • 10-10-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a few rooms painted in my house. It shouldn't be a major job (hall, landing and 2 other rooms) but I don't have the time to do it myself so I'm looking for a decent painter.

Anyone got any recommendations? Don't want to pay over the odds but don't want a shoddy job either.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The Polish Painters - www.polishpainters.eu Very fast, efficient, do a very good job and reasonably priced. Admittedly you wouldn't want to pay too much attention to the prices etc in their ads, but still they are very good, and come when they say they will.

One guy on his own painted a medium sized bedroom from dark (teenage!) colours to off-white - three coats - in one day, finishing at 4pm. Including ceiling and skirtings. Lovely job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kimmybobkim

There plenty of locals that do painting in tramore and you will pay alot less than going through a company.

There plenty of locals that do painting in tramore and you will pay alot less than going through a company.

I don't doubt that there are lots of painters in tramore, but my experience has not been that great - the last person that painted for me left paint splashes everywhere, and did not really do a good job. I asked him to do 3 rooms, he did two ok but then got bored/got a new job and messed about for several days (while the house was in a heap, waiting for him) before he finally finished the job in a very rough and ready manner.

As to being local, these Polish guys have been around painting in Tramore for maybe 10 years - I can't remember exactly when, but its a good while. They are as local as many of the people who have moved onto the new estates.

Would you not recommend some of the people you know, then the OP will have a choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 kimmybobkim

To be honest if I was painting your house I'd of had enough of you after two days too with your attitude. What do you do for a living???? Maybe I'll hire a Polish person who does that job better too????

Here's a good link, check it out if you like:
    http://www.mytown.ie/town41,tramore/41,painters-tiling-and-decorators/0/business-listing.html

Theirs plenty of decent painters in Tramore, ask in McCormick's on main street, they will have a good recommendation for you, otherwise if you want a business then the Butlers have been running a painting business in Tramore for a few generations now, They're very professional and neat, my parents have always had their houses painted by them, they're reasonably priced too. Why don't you support a local business instead?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To be honest if I was painting your house I'd of had enough of you after two days too with your attitude. What do you do for a living???? Maybe I'll hire a Polish person who does that job better too????

Here's a good link, check it out if you like:
    http://www.mytown.ie/town41,tramore/41,painters-tiling-and-decorators/0/business-listing.html

Theirs plenty of decent painters in Tramore, ask in McCormick's on main street, they will have a good recommendation for you, otherwise if you want a business then the Butlers have been running a painting business in Tramore for a few generations now, They're very professional and neat, my parents have always had their houses painted by them, they're reasonably priced too. Why don't you support a local business instead?

Ease up there a bit dude, each to their own who they want to hire - no need to get personal :) Sometimes a bad experience can damage others reputation and the polish lads seem to come recommended also.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

hi try derek mainly does tramore, we got the hole house done a couple of months back. Very clean no paint on the ground no mess whats so ever in and out so fast perfect job done at a really cheap price and a very honest gent!!

085-7029488

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 oilcanharry

This is one of those situations that you get exactly what you pay for.

Properly quailified Painters & Decorators who are in business will have to charge to as normal as in any business selling services. VAT, social charges, travelling etc have to be factored into pricing. They will assess a job based on the actual work involved including preparing the area for decorating & inturn cleaning up professionally after they are gone so you will experience little if any inconvienence from their visit to your house.

Paying for this can be quite expensive for most householders so the other option is to find someone who works off the books so to speak. They will have a quick look, ask you for a certain amount per day and you buy the paint etc.

This is a buyers market now and be very fussy with who you let into your house. Don't always go for the cheapest quote without checking independant references as this may work out dearer in the long run if you have to get someone else in to correct a mess.

There are many decorators in Tramore & Waterford area, both Irish & from other countires. Get a few prices and ask for references. I suggest that you try the Golden Pages or ask around. Ask to see qualifications too, it is your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

maybe I'm too sensitive but I do take a small bit of offense with their choice of name to trade under, the same way I'd take offense under an irish-painters-only company name, I've no doubt it works for them as people think cheap and good workers.
    I do think it promotes xenophobia which I've no doubt in the troubled times ahead we will see a lot more of, personally I think it poorly reflects the Irish psyche and our self image.

rasper wrote: »
    maybe I'm too sensitive but I do take a small bit of offense with their choice of name to trade under, the same way I'd take offense under an irish-painters-only company name, I've no doubt it works for them as people think cheap and good workers.
    I do think it promotes xenophobia which I've no doubt in the troubled times ahead we will see a lot more of, personally I think it poorly reflects the Irish psyche and our self image.

They are called the Polish Painters because that's what everybody called them anyway. They were working for a good few years without a name and by the time they put the name on the van, that's what they were known as. It would not be good business sense to pass up a name you are known by. In the same way if Irish people abroad thought it would advantageous to call themselves Irish something (Irish Pubs for example) they would do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

can understand that alright, same as a indian or chinese takeaway, however , most people would agree I'm sure(even if they don't verbalise it) it means cheap and better workers than their Irish competitors.

• Advertisement

rasper wrote: »
    can understand that alright, same as a indian or chinese takeaway, however , most people would agree I'm sure(even if they don't verbalise it) it means cheap and better workers than their Irish competitors.

Well now, you are the one using the word better! Why are they better? Are they better? What is so impossible about turning up when you say you will and getting on with a tidy job, and finishing off when its done? Is it impossible that 'Irish Painters' could not have the same - or better - implications?

And to be honest they are not staggeringly cheaper, its not cheaper that sells them really, its just getting the job done quickly and efficiently. The guy that organises them is like a choreographer - he doesn't involve the client in in who is off sick or what the problems are, just gets someone there who can do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Thanks for all the advice guys. Went with the Polish lads in the end, couldn't recommend them highly enough. Gave a good price, arrived on time, finished on time, left the place spotless and the paintwork was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

There are painters in our house every month.

Always create a bad mood around the place though :D

Advertisement