Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Eagles Return

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rog1985

T'was a great programme. I hope it raises interest levels and there will be more demand for productions in that ilk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with Rainbowsend, a great series, but what with all the "Previously on .." and "In next weeks program ...", the identical quite lengthy preamble for each episode, and other duplicated footage, they could probably have squeezed the entire 4 part series into one 1 hour program and it would have been more enjoyable much less irritating. That's 'modern' program making for you though, I guess, designed for people with the memory and attention span of a fly :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it was an independent production, it might have been a way for them to get more money from RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

littlebug wrote: »
    I've been working when these were on so missed them so thanks for the link. I just watched the last one. Fantastic programme. I'll watch the others through the week. I'm glad I watched the last one first as there is a real sense of optimism at the end.
    Hi littlebug. Great programme indeed. One thing about it: Someone mentioned in a thread here that it should have been played all together - i agree. Blink and you'd miss it. Your right about: 'real sense of optimism at the end', and there is. look at the Red Kite re-introduction, it seems to be going to plan. As one guy on here says: he saw one in Co. Carlow today or yesterday. they ARE spreading and hopefully getting more confident in their relatively new landscape. God Bless the Eagle Trust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on autumnwatch last night, they talked about the sea eagle reintroduction in scotland; which started in 1969 and it was 1985 (i think) before they had their first successful breeding. but they had a steeper learning curve as they had no real precedent.

on autumnwatch last night, they talked about the sea eagle reintroduction in scotland; which started in 1969 and it was 1985 (i think) before they had their first successful breeding. but they had a steeper learning curve as they had no real precedent.
    Hi magicbastarder,
    Saw the programme. Very good too. The sea eagle was a 'sight for sore eyes'. Their HUGE raptors with real presence of power over the sky's. I didn't think the re-introduction went back as far as 1969 though. Now there is an abundance of wildlife there. Otters, eagles, hawks, hobby's, seals, deer,..you name it. I envied the guys working on that beautiful Island: Orkney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sables2 wrote: »
    Hi magicbastarder,
    . I didn't think the re-introduction went back as far as 1969 though. .

Correct - it was 1975:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I saw a program a 2 years ago about the reintroduction to scotland.
    It did say that 4 sea eagles were released on the remote island Fair isle between shetland and orkney in 1968. Those 4 eagles disappeared shortly after release. probably dieing at sea because it was such a remote island.
    They even released 3 sea eagles back in 1959 according to this link.
    http://www.roydennis.org/sea-eagle/
    So the reintroduction didnt start properly untill 1975 on Rum, which was far more suited to them.

Those 1959 & 1968 attempts were probably not real attempts, like Charley Haugheys attempt with 2 sea eagles on Inishvickillane, Kerry in 93.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The last 11 posts in this thread were moved to another recent thread.

From now on most if not all discussion with regard to poisoning of raptors etc in this forum will be moved to thread linked above titled Penalties for poisoning birds of prey introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

I thought this was an excellant documentary and gave a great insight into the workings of the reintroduction programme. Hopefully it will turn out to be a success and a follow up programme will be made on the progress of this scheme. Ger.

1squidge wrote: »
    I thought this was an excellant documentary and gave a great insight into the workings of the reintroduction programme. Hopefully it will turn out to be a success and a follow up programme will be made on the progress of this scheme. Ger.
    Hi Ger,
    Here,here. I agree completely - it was a TERRIFIC programme. In fact, i'm pretty confident: we might see a 're-introduction programme'...lol. On a more serious note: it was all in one parcel -emotional, up lifting, heartening and educational...especially for our future generation. I do HOPE and pray it will at least give us an 'update' programme to see how our eagles and red kites are doing. After all, we have been without them for over a century!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

fryup wrote: »
    did any of you watch yesterday's progamme...they were hand feeding a poisoned eagle at the start but they didn't update on his condition...did he survive?

Yes fryup, good news, he survived and is doing fantastically well.

He was in Wicklow earlier this week.

This is the same bird, called MALE STAR: http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/27947/Whitetailed_Eagle.html

Super photos by Steve Millar, well done Steve.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Documentary on the RSPB re-introduction of Red Kites to Northern Ireland:
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/projects/details/272999-northern-ireland-red-kites
    Just clink on the video to see film:)

Hi LostCovey,
    Yes, great new about MALE STAR! It's such good news he's still roaming the Wicklow land...and beyond i'm sure. Beautiful photos indeed by Steve Miller..really talented photographer. Thanks for the link ;)

Hi Traonach,
    Just saw the video. It was AMAZING!!! Thank you so much. I've actually saved it in: 'my videos'. Delighted to see Roberts work was not in vein - 26 Kites doing well, and that was 2009. I hope, and i 'd say, there's plenty of off-spring today. Thanks mate for that...super. Long live the Red Kite ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Repeat of this on RTE 1 right now.

Advertisement