Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen Golf 02 Problem Question

Options
  • 10-10-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I have a Volkswagen Golf '02. Yesterday the yellow engine light went on, the car shuddered a lot when stopped in neutral, and lost a lot of acceleration when changing gears. For some reason the light indicator that illuminated was not in the manual but in the manual for a friend's VW Polo a similar light indicated an 'Exhaust System Failure'.

Does anybody know what or how serious might the problem be based on this info? I intend to take it to a garage but would appreciate having some idea of what's going on with the car in the meantime, for whether it's worth driving there or should be towed, etc. Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

sounds like the same thing happened to me before.. shudder heavily in neutral and when in motion it seems fine.. should be able to drive without much issue because i drove mine to the dealer but do take it easy..

unfortunately I can't remember what part was the failure.. i do however recall something to do with the engine not firing properly on one of the cylinder (Not spark plug issue).. This was about three years ago on mine and was under warranty at the time..

I suggest you bring it down to a dealer asap..

good luck

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

What engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

1.4L, the basic model I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Sounds like an ignition coil is gone faulty.

Wouldnt advise driving it on long journeys but down the rd to the garage should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

lau1247 wrote: »

I suggest you bring it down to a dealer asap..

OP dont go to the dealer unless you have money to burn. Bring it to an Independent garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

So got it fixed. It was a faulty ignition coil. All sorted for €50. Cheers for the help.

Advertisement