Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house trainging a puppy

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

on the very rare occasion in our house that there is an "emergency" in the middle of the night we get a long slow suctioning noise from the other side of the bedroom door. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Gosh cant believe how lucky some of you are my dog was nearly 6 months old before he was toilet trained I thought it was never going to happen, in the end what I did after trying crate training etc was I got him to sleep outside and he was much happier and never again weed inside! By outside I dont mean with no shelter he has a kennel, 3 pillows, 2 blankets and in the winter a snuggle safe and actually prefers to sleep outside but since he was around 1 I brought him back in because I started to live alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Gosh cant believe how lucky some of you are my dog was nearly 6 months old before he was toilet trained I thought it was never going to happen, in the end what I did after trying crate training etc was I got him to sleep outside and he was much happier and never again weed inside! By outside I dont mean with no shelter he has a kennel, 3 pillows, 2 blankets and in the winter a snuggle safe and actually prefers to sleep outside but since he was around 1 I brought him back in because I started to live alone.

Luck has nothing to do with it ;) How often were you taking him outside? You have to be consistant with the training, outside every 30 mins for the first few weeks every time the dog wakes up,has been running around, playing, everytime it has a drink of water and everytime it barks, confinment to one room and 100% supervision at all times the dog is out of the crate, strict routine, strict feeding times and monitoring of water intake. There is no shortcuts or easy fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Luck has nothing to do with it ;) How often were you taking him outside? You have to be consistant with the training, outside every 30 mins for the first few weeks every time the dog wakes up,has been running around, playing, everytime it has a drink of water and everytime it barks, confinment to one room and 100% supervision at all times the dog is out of the crate, strict routine, strict feeding times and monitoring of water intake. There is no shortcuts or easy fixes.

I swore I wasn't going to post in this thread today as it wasn't good for my nerves reading some of the stuff posted yesterday...but I am a glutton for punishment.

Basically if you are not prepared to do ALL the above quoted, dont bother with a dog. If all you are prepared to do is train through fear by shoving the animals face/nose in it's own excrement you should be stopped from owning any type of animal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I swore I wasn't going to post in this thread today as it wasn't good for my nerves reading some of the stuff posted yesterday...but I am a glutton for punishment.

Basically if you are not prepared to do ALL the above quoted, dont bother with a dog. If all you are prepared to do is train through fear by shoving the animals face/nose in it's own excrement you should be stopped from owning any type of animal

My sentiments exactly, to all the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What happens if those methods do not work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

They do, with time and patience. Sometimes it takes longerwith some dogs than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trickywitch

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    This is interesting I would never have thought about it before, I do agree that puppies/dogs make a connection between things. Have you tried this yourself? If so how did it go? :D
    I have, several times on different breeds and in conjunction with other methods discussed already - as an association technique, it has been very successful for us. Do it immediately after the accident, say no firmly and bring the puppy outside. I definitely wouldn't advocate rubbing the puppy's nose in it as dog's noses are highly sensitive. Also you don't want to risk your puppy getting a splinter or a carpet burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I have, several times on different breeds and in conjunction with other methods discussed already - as an association technique, it has been very successful for us. Do it immediately after the accident, say no firmly and bring the puppy outside. I definitely wouldn't advocate rubbing the puppy's nose in it as dog's noses are highly sensitive. Also you don't want to risk your puppy getting a splinter or a carpet burn.
    You dont actually rub the dogs nose in it, not literally. You hold the dogs nose above the wee, close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trickywitch

Exactly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

You dont actually rub the dogs nose in it, not literally. You hold the dogs nose above the wee, close to it.

Sigh.

They aren't methods, they are all the steps of a single method, done properly and consistantly and not being lazy about it, I've never heard of it not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

I just recently got a new Jack Russell puppy and have a couple of questions related to the topic:

1) I got this new puppy as a friend/companion for my other Jack Russell (both male). My first dog spend the day out in our garden with a warm bed in the shed that he can access. How long do i need to leave the new puppy in doors before putting him outside during the day with the other dog?

2) Am I going to create a divide between the two dogs by leaving one out during the day while the puppy is in?

3) On the toilet training, is there any reason why the puppy would always go on the carpet but be less interested in peeing on the tiled area? Infuriating..

bmacma wrote: »
    I just recently got a new Jack Russell puppy and have a couple of questions related to the topic:

1) I got this new puppy as a friend/companion for my other Jack Russell (both male). My first dog spend the day out in our garden with a warm bed in the shed that he can access. How long do i need to leave the new puppy in doors before putting him outside during the day with the other dog?

2) Am I going to create a divide between the two dogs by leaving one out during the day while the puppy is in?

3) On the toilet training, is there any reason why the puppy would always go on the carpet but be less interested in peeing on the tiled area? Infuriating..

1. You need to wait a week after it has all it's shots and the 2 dogs are introduced properly assuming by that stage the weather is good enough to dump a young pup outside.

2. I had an old dog outside when I got my pup and had no problems but they were of opposite sex, the old dog was very old and he had no wish to come into the house whatsoever. If your dog is young or not neutered you may have problems.

3. If he pees on the carpet it isn't going to splash him and he is less likely to stand in it by accident, why does he have access to a room with carpet if he isn't toilet trained? I assume you have read this thread re: all the toilet traing advice so I'm not going to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmacma

1. You need to wait a week after it has all it's shots and the 2 dogs are introduced properly assuming by that stage the weather is good enough to dump a young pup outside.

2. I had an old dog outside when I got my pup and had no problems but they were of opposite sex, the old dog was very old and he had no wish to come into the house whatsoever. If your dog is young or not neutered you may have problems.

3. If he pees on the carpet it isn't going to splash him and he is less likely to stand in it by accident, why does he have access to a room with carpet if he isn't toilet trained? I assume you have read this thread re: all the toilet traing advice so I'm not going to repeat it.

Thanks for your answers. I won't be "dumping him outside" as you say but not sure how young a dog should spend large amounts of time outside.

My other dog is neutered. Good point on the carpet.

Advertisement