Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ikc registering?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

hi can you register a puppy with the ikc if his perants were not..

i bought a beutiful staff puppy and his parents were really nice examples but were never ikc registered..

the reason i ask is a might breed him down the line as hes gonna be a huge dog so would like to see if i could ikc reg him or is it not possible?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

As far as i know once the parents wernt reg there is no way your guy can be ikc.

Not giving out but wondering why you want to breed from stafs when there are more staffs been pts than any other breed? did you watch the programme on tv awhile ago about this. Also what about them falling into the wrong hands.
    While i can see where your coming from, i have a beautiful staf bitch, and have been asked countless times why did i get her spayed, please think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

As far as i know once the parents wernt reg there is no way your guy can be ikc.

Not giving out but wondering why you want to breed from stafs when there are more staffs been pts than any other breed? did you watch the programme on tv awhile ago about this. Also what about them falling into the wrong hands.
    While i can see where your coming from, i have a beautiful staf bitch, and have been asked countless times why did i get her spayed, please think again.

im not planning on breeding him hes only 8 weeks old now sure.. i was just asking if it was possible to register him.. and the only reason i would be breeding him is my friend has a champion blue staff bitch with an incredible bloodline which we would be pairing if my male is gonna turn out as big as we suspect.. as i want to keep 1 of the pups!

i understand what your saying tho and your right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't think you can unless the parents were regd. Not sure how it works if eventually you breed him with a regd. female but perhaps contact the IKC there's some info. on their website but you might have to contact them to get more details.

The owner might find it difficult to sell on any other pups since she could have one to half a dozen or more pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

davemc180 wrote: »
    im not planning on breeding him hes only 8 weeks old now sure.. i was just asking if it was possible to register him.. and the only reason i would be breeding him is my friend has a champion blue staff bitch with an incredible bloodline which we would be pairing if my male is gonna turn out as big as we suspect.. as i want to keep 1 of the pups!

To answer your initial question, no, you cannot register a dog if the parents werent registered.

Btw being big isnt necessarily a good thing for any breed. You dont want a dog being much bigger than the breed standard recommends as it can come with health problems.

I would really reconsider breeding your dog down the line esp when hes not registered.

Oh is your friends dog a show champion? If so i doubt they will want to use a dog thats not registered on their bitch as they wont be able to register the puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

andreac wrote: »
    To answer your initial question, no, you cannot register a dog if the parents werent registered.

Btw being big isnt necessarily a good thing for any breed. You dont want a dog being much bigger than the breed standard recommends as it can come with health problems.

I would really reconsider breeding your dog down the line esp when hes not registered.

Oh is your friends dog a show champion? If so i doubt they will want to use a dog thats not registered on their bitch as they wont be able to register the puppies.

cheers thanks for the replys and on the breeding part itl prob never happen was just wondering about registering if we were to breed them..

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

davemc180 wrote: »

Why not have a litter if its what you want and have buyers/adopters lined up?

Might get flamed for this but personally I think its about responsibilty and making sure you would have good homes rather than willy nilly breeding and dog peddling which it seems you are not about. Some people still want pups and have the choice although it would be nice to see more people adopt older dogs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

sligopark wrote: »
    Why not have a litter if its what you want and have buyers/adopters lined up?

Might get flamed for this but personally I think its about responsibilty and making sure you would have good homes rather than willy nilly breeding and dog peddling which it seems you are not about. Some people still want pups and have the choice although it would be nice to see more people adopt older dogs too.

Eh? Responsible breeding of pedigree dogs is about breeding healthy *registered* bloodlines of proven show quality with the aim of contributing something that adds to the breed, this will mostly still produce pups of just pet quality which is where people who want pedigree pups get them from. What the OP would be doing by using an unregistered stud dog is backyard breeding. A bitch can only have so many litters so I don't see why any owner of a quality bitch would use an unregistered stud. Unregistered dogs can't be shown so how could they possibly be of proven show quality?

Nice but rubbish - being dog responsible is about good owners not showing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm not sure what this even means! You have missed the point completely, it's nothing to do with showing but only pedigree dogs who have been shown and had all the relevant breed health test have proof of being quality animals with good breed conformation. What on earth has breeding got to do with being a good owner :rolleyes: since unltimately the breeder won't be the owner! A breeder has to ensure that to the best of their ability they are not breeding pups that are rife with genetic problems that will be passed on to future generations. A responsible breeder isnt one that just pairs any old 2 dogs and hopes for the best, sends them off to new homes and leaves the new owner to cope with genetic diseases that then arise in the dog because of their irresponsible breeding. Let me give you an example 60% of Cavalier King Charles' won't live to see their 6th birthday, 90% won't live to see their 11th birthday and the remaining 10% were bred by responsible breeders from proven health checked show stock. Have a bit of common sence please, there are enough unwanted litters without actually encouraginging a new owner of a 8wk old puppy to consider creating more in the future from a dog he hasn't a clue how will turn out!!

Its nothing to do with showing. Only dogs that are registered should be bred from to trace lineage and pedigree so they arent potentially mating with their relations.

Being responsible is making sure the dog being bred from is of good quality and an excellent specimen of the breed and health tested for all relevent breed problems and if its not registered how on earth could this be possible??

I cant see how an owner of a dog that isnt registered will ever be bothered to go to trouble of doing all of the above, which any responsible dog owner would do, so no, its not being responsible if they breed and un registered dog.

• Advertisement

Being responsible is making sure the dog being bred from is of good quality and an excellent specimen of the breed and health tested for all relevent breed problems and if its not registered how on earth could this be possible??

fair point lads - sorry - leaving my post up so as to allow yours be seen in context

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i bought a red setter a bit ago, both parents have papers but the litter wasnt reg, how would i go about getting my dog reg'd, and both parents wer old enough to breed and the bitch wasnt bred from too often, but the owner said as they are working dogs he wasnt registering them

jap gt wrote: »
    i bought a red setter a bit ago, both parents have papers but the litter wasnt reg, how would i go about getting my dog reg'd, and both parents wer old enough to breed and the bitch wasnt bred from too often, but the owner said as they are working dogs he wasnt registering them

The breeder has to register them so unless he is willing to do so, then you cant get the dog registered im afraid. If you wanted to buy a registered pup you should insisted on the breeder registering them before you paid your money or else found a breeder that had already pups that were registered.
    If the breeder decides he doesnt want to register them then you dont have any come back im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

The breeder has to register them so unless he is willing to do so, then you cant get the dog registered im afraid. If you wanted to buy a registered pup you should insisted on the breeder registering them before you paid your money or else found a breeder that had already pups that were registered.
    If the breeder decides he doesnt want to register them then you dont have any come back im afraid.

im not too bothered about the registering, if there was an easy way of doing it i would just to have it, but as she is a working dog i wont breed from here unless she turns out to be as good as her parents and only then if there is people for the pups, the breeder has had no bother selling the litter as he is well known for his gun dogs

cheers

Advertisement