Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you let him go on holiday...???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd let him go. It's the greatest holiday on earth for a child and if it's something you might not be able to bring him at some stage yourself, why deny him it now?

I honestly can't imagine any home-sickness on, what to a child, is the greatest adventure ever so once you trust the family inviting him, I'd agree with efb: accept gratefully and take a break yourself.

Other thought if you're leaning towards a no: Is there any way you could afford to join them on the holiday? Larger numbers can help reduce costs due to ability to share car rentals etc. Might be fun to be able to go for a few drinks with your friend in the evening whilst her kids' dad babysits / babysit for them to enjoy a night out as a couple etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Not a hope I could afford it financially - I'd be giving him money going obviously, and paying for him - the budget just wouldn't stretch to me going along. I've looked into that from the begining, and it's a no-go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Fittle wrote: »
    Not a hope I could afford it financially - I'd be giving him money going obviously, and paying for him - the budget just wouldn't stretch to me going along. I've looked into that from the begining, and it's a no-go....

Disney land is VERY expensive, especially meals. I think two weeks of eating at Disney would cost a bomb in itself.

Two weeks is a very LONG time at Disneyland imo. I remember Disneyland, was there for a long weekend, and it is amazing. I wouldnt call it a 'NO WAY YOU CAN MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY' however. I'd rather take my son to DC to be honest. Or some of the science museums in London.

And then there is jet lag. I don't think parents think of how tough this is when they make these plans and a very very long journey.

Thanks again for all the input guys.

There are times when I'm very conscious that I parent alone - and this is one of those times. Not having someone else who cares for my lad the same way I do, (the same way a parent would) means I mull these things over and over without bouncing them off someone.

And there are other times when i am glad I parent alone!

So I've made my decision and I've politely declined the offer.

I feel better now that I've decided once and for all - I've taken all your welcome advice on board and I've decided to say no.

Thanks again guys - very much appreciated:D

If you're feeling bad about him not getting to go - investigate EuroDisney. It's surprisingly affordable if you stay in a campsite outside Paris and get a bus in or something like that for a day or two...

We stayed in this campsite which is about an hour's drive from the parks (and arranges buses there a couple of times a week) last year.

A couple of cheap Ryanair flights into Beauvais and a week's car hire / camping wouldn't stretch to that much for the two of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yeah, tbh its the 2 weeks that would get me. It's a long time for everyone; your friend, you and especially your son. To a young boy that would seem like an eternity. I'd imagine homesickness would set in on 2nd week.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Go to Oakwood for the day for the two of you. Dead cheap, get the ferry across and you'll be there in the morning and you'll be finished up by the evening and back on the ferry and home by around 8/9pm and you'll have had a blast :)

http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/plan/irish_000.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

glad its sorted, bottom line is you know your child best, f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

I really think you made the right decision, but you'll be second guessing it I'm sure. I've learned that us Mammy's should always go with our gut. I hear you on the having no one who cares as much for the boy to bounce ideas/decisions off....it can be soooo hard.

If you are thinking about a holiday some time in the next few years, I brought my 11 year old son (after several years of saving) to Spain this Summer and to Port aventura adventure park. We had it all, sun, rides & rollercoasters, in a more affordable way. He told me at the theme park that it was the best day of his life :D:D:D:D:D:D and I'll tell you one thing. I'm so glad it was me that was with him on the best day of his life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Done Disney Florida last year with ours. They were 10, 12 and 14 and I never took my eyes off them, and I'm not over protective. I would deffo say no.

• Advertisement

30lady wrote: »
    I really think you made the right decision, but you'll be second guessing it I'm sure. I've learned that us Mammy's should always go with our gut. I hear you on the having no one who cares as much for the boy to bounce ideas/decisions off....it can be soooo hard.

If you are thinking about a holiday some time in the next few years, I brought my 11 year old son (after several years of saving) to Spain this Summer and to Port aventura adventure park. We had it all, sun, rides & rollercoasters, in a more affordable way. He told me at the theme park that it was the best day of his life :D:D:D:D:D:D and I'll tell you one thing. I'm so glad it was me that was with him on the best day of his life ;)

Actually I'm not second guessing today at all! I'm delighted I finally made the decision - it was stressing me out so much!

When you say you did that holiday in a 'more affordable' way...could you expand a little?

I'd love to do that next year, but packages can be expensive....cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Actually I'm not second guessing today at all! I'm delighted I finally made the decision - it was stressing me out so much!

When you say you did that holiday in a 'more affordable' way...could you expand a little?

theres lots of places in the uk that are fun and much cheaper than disneyland. Maybe don't have the same reputation but lots of fun.

Worst comes to worst two bus tickets across would cost very little (although is a long trek) and you'd get a break on the ferry. All in all yourself and your child could enjoy a great break for around 5-600 all in.

Fittle, if you check Ryanair flights a fair while in advance, fly mid-week to mid-week e.g. Thursday to Tuesday (or Thursday to Thursday for a full week), they can be very cheap. LateRooms.com and similar sites can be great for rentals.

Myself, the girlfriend and our two little ones got 5 nights in Albufeira in Portugal for under €600 (4 flights, car rental and an apartment) back in May. With just the two of ye, I'm sure you could do something like that for under €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Take the money you would pay for him to go and take the two of you off the Disneyland paris or Legoland or alton towers.
    It's better to make these memories as a family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

That's brilliant you're not second guessing.

When I said affordable I mean more affordable than Disney land.
    I went during peak time as I didn't want to take my son out of school, so it was bit pricier than I would have liked. I also chose to go at a busy time so he could meet boys his own age to mess around with at the pool. I had hoped to get a last minute deal as origonally I had 3 weeks to play around with, but I was restricted for a finish, due to a badly timed ear infection. It was €950 for flights and accommodation in self catering apartment and I would have spent €650 max during the week on food, the theme park, a water park and the usual bits and pieces. We had breakfast and lunch in the apartment and ate out for dinner.

I see a post from sleepy, which shows that you can definately do the flights and accommodation much cheaper.

It was the best thing I have ever done with him.

Advertisement