Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with terrarium

Options
  • 10-10-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I've had a biOrb aquarium for the last 2 years and as some of you may know there not the greatest when it comes to keeping fish. I've decided to get rid of the present fish, give them to a relative or back to the fish store. drain the tank and dump all the decor.
    I'm planning to use it as an indoor garden(mini rainforest) plant mini palm trees and tropical plants that are suitable etc...
    I'm also planning on making interesting by adding a staircase for an upstairs, a little pond (if possible), mini houses/people surrounded by exotic plants and rocks etc..

Any ideas on how I can start this off?

I'm planning on doing some research first so if there's anything that's vital to know before starting up I'd love to know.

Do I need under soil heater?
    Does the soil need to be a certain pH?
    What plants would be suitable?

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

From admittedly slight experience of terrariums (terraria?) I think you will find the biggest problem will be condensation on the inside if you heat it. There is also a problem with mildew on plants. Some of the plants that are recommended - such as african violets - are very quick to get mildew.

I put a lot of effort into making one out of a fishtank and tbh I soon got bored with it. It needed a lot of work to keep it healthy and didn't look very interesting. I have no experience with the biOrb aquariums but I wonder would it be suitable for terrapins? They would need a water area and a climbing out dry area. Or some other form of insects or small reptiles.

Advertisement