Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is probably a stupid question!

• 10-10-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi. This is probably a stupid question that any self-respecting guitar player out there will laugh at! I am starting guitar lessons on Thursday of this week and I have been looking forward to it for so long!! I've wanted to play since I was a teenager and that is 30 years ago!! Anyway, I got out my guitar (which the hubby bought me for Christmas TWO years ago) and tried holding it and pressing the strings - but it's total agony!! If I try it for more than a couple of seconds it feels as though the strings will cut my fingers. How am I going to learn if I have this problem? Are there any tips for "toughening up" my finger tips? I feel so worried that I'll never manage my weekly two hour guitar lessons:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

You just have to keep playing unfortunately... don't worry you'll soon loose all sensation in the tips of your fingers like the rest of us :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sandvich wrote: »
    You just have to keep playing unfortunately... don't worry you'll soon loose all sensation in the tips of your fingers like the rest of us :P

It's funny because it's true! :o:p

Being serious for a moment, this is something that your guitar teacher should work with you on. Just make sure they're aware of the problems you're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Thanks guys - look like I have a lot of suffering ahead before I make a guitar player!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Here's a tip that might help - hold down some strings, like a chord, and play the chord. Then relax your fingers a little, and see if the chord still sounds right, if the strings are still being held down enough. If they are, relax a little more and try again, until you are no longer applying enough force to make the strings sound properly.

You might find that you are pressing the strings a lot harder than you need to. Like driving a car, most people assume at first that you need to press the pedals hard, but as you get more practice you learn to press with just the right amount of force required.

Also lighter strings might help. Other than that, it's just practice, and your fingers will toughen up.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 NMK2008

I would recommend lighter strings... and maybe getting the action adjusted.

lighter strings are much easier to play, though they will break easier, and wont hold their tuning as long, but would be a worth while investment for the first 6months, then gradually step up to heavier strings as you improve...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 NMK2008

Oh and if the guitar has been sitting for 2 years, the strings are likely to be rusty and therefore tough to play, so call into a guitar shop (explain the guitar type and you want really light strings) and bring a set with you to your teacher - they will be able to show you how to replace them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As well as all the advice given so far, I'd say to build up your playing time gradually. If you play for too long at the start, you could get blisters. Give yourself a week, before taking lessons, play for between five and ten minutes the first day, then fifteen the next etc.

Thanks to everyone for your advice:) I honestly thought everyone would laugh at this and I'd get no replies! I really want to learn to play - it's one of my two ambitions in life - to play guitar and swim! The fear is water is hampering the latter though:D:D
    Again, thanks for all your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

HAHAHAHAH Shazanne ya dope!!!

Just jokin! :D

10 years on and i still get sore tips sometimes (never play after a bath or shower - ever!)

As others said, change the strings. Im assuming you have an acoustic and the standard gauge is probably .12's so go into a shop and ask the for .10s. (just say "tens"). Just note they might take a day or so to stay in tune properly.

Another good point someone mentioned is the action might be too high. thats the bit at the end of the strings, the opposite way from the neck of the guitar. If its high, the strings are higher and its harder to push them down to make a chord. So get that lowerd and that should all help!

Any more hassle and post back here!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

I'd recommend just a lot of playing. Its goin to hurt at first, especially fingering chords, but after a while you will get used to it..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

You could try a nylon stringed guitar. 'Much easier on the fingers. When starting playing "little and often" is the golden rule (imho). Play 10 mins a time as many times as you can a day, at first. You'll remember chords more easily and your fingers will gradually adjust to new work you're expecting them to perform. Pick a realistic goal to aim for (maybe a favorite song or something) and aim to be able to play it this time next year. Lots and lots of people never get beyond the earliest stages of learning guitar. First few weeks are the hardest and the rest of your life not long enough. Above all.....enjoy.

Thanks to all who have replied!
    I started lessons this day last week. Have been practicing the Major chords in the key of A all week (A,E and D). The song that keeps going through my head is the Summer of '69 and the line "played it till my fingers bled"!! Boy am I suffering!:D Put I am persevering so far and can make the shape of the chords at this stage but cant change them fast enough!! The teacher has us playing Silent Night - if I ever hear it again I'll kill someone!!
    Am off to my second lesson tonight and am looking forward to and dreading it in equal parts!! Will probably remain firmly at the bottom of the class but I enjoy the crack anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Remember, all the great guitar players (and the average ones too!) know what you're going through. Everyone who plays guitar knows your pain, we're all with you! Keep practising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bod1

And don't forget, 15 minutes practice, doesn't mean 15 minutes solid. Do 5 minutes, have a break and then go back to it.

And remember with A, E, and D under your belt you can do a lot of damage !! Good luck and stick with it. In 2 weeks you'll be amazed in the difference in your fingers and chord changes

Thanks Bod - that's really encouraging! I now have A,E.D and G!! I'm practically professional:D:D:D! Fingers are getting harder too but still fairly painful. What I am doing is leaving the guitar lying on the dining room table and when I pass it I pick it up and play a few chords. I am improving at remembering which chord is which but need to work big time at speeding up the changing of the finger positions - finding that challenging! But I'm getting there - slowly but surely! Thanks for you words of advice - much appreciated;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'd suggest buying a guitar stand. They're not expensive and are well worth it. It'll save your guitar getting knocked over and damaged. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Dord wrote: »
    I'd suggest buying a guitar stand. They're not expensive and are well worth it. It'll save your guitar getting knocked over and damaged. :)

Anyone know how much these cost?

Hi Shazanne, I started playing back in June, and honestly everyone here is right on the money. The first couple of weeks are the hardest and I won't lie to you the finger pain was enough to nearly put me off at times, but the most important things to remember are that you have to play through the pain, and do it little but often so even 5-10 minutes a day will keep your fingers toughening up and you will find that even after 2 weeks or so your playing stamina will have improved a lot.

So 5 months on and already I have an impressive collection of songs and am moving on to finger picking and even nailing some of my favourite classical and country songs. I am self taught and I don't know if that's good or bad but it does mean that there is no pressure on my playing and it is purely for pleasure. I can safely say though, that if you push through those first few weeks and pick one or two easy songs that you like and use them to practice chord changes etc. it is one of the most fulfilling things you can learn!

Good luck!

Thanks for that! My fingers have certainly toughened up considerably! The pain is gone now unless I overdo things!!! I have only had 5 lessons but feel I am making progress. Biggests challenge at the moment is changing chords fast enough, but I know the cure for that is practice.
    Are you using a book or DVD or somthing to help you learn?

Advertisement