Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP

• 10-10-2010 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

External hdd not appearing in my computer section, works on my sisters but not mine, powers up when plugged in but goes off when computer powered. Have tried device manager but no icon and disk managment any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭copz

usb not recognised neither is my external hdd nothing is showing in device management or disk managment. help please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If it's the type that is powered through the USB cable, some PC's do not supply enough power through a single USB port to power the drive.
    This is why the USB cable for these drives has 2 connections on one end - try plugging both into 2 USB ports on you PC and see if that sorts out the problem.

no two cables one for usb the other for power i can hear it powering up but than it dies or something no flashing light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

dilallio is right just not enough power from your pc and that's why you are able to work it out with your sister pc just get a Y usb than with two usb fit more power

no power, whats worse is that usb devices are not been recognized

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

My external drive works,on my laptop, doesnt appear on my pc, p4 1.5ghz , i presume its not getting enough power.You could buy another drive that has its own power unit, use your sisters pc to copy data to new drive.
    WHAT operating system are you using.

I've tried accessing it through a live CD like Ubuntu and it works. So I think the problem lies somewhere else. Just to note every time I installed my mp3 player it kept asking me
    for a new usb slot, mind you this all happened when I ran malwarebytes and selected the drive to scan afterward I could'nt access the drive "external" drive.

I've tried system restore, unplugging the device, checking usb host controllers and any other on off unplug ways to get this to work but still it wont work all concerning my last post eg "external seagate hdd not recognized", can anybody give me a better explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It'd be better to keep everything together rather than posting new threads.

Link to the original!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've had 2 drives that wouldn't work with vista or win7 but work fine with windows xp and linux, even when different OS's are installed on the same machine.

you could try copying everything off it and deleting the partition on the USB drive and recreating it on one of the machines that can't read it now (to ensure that it can) and then copy everything back from the other PC it was working on originally (assuming you have the HDD space to do so).

• Advertisement

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What system do you have. How old and what opperating system. For all we know you could be using USB 1.0

I have up to 320 gb space on the external hdd and only 80 on my c://hdd:(

packard bell espirit, 5yrs, aging slowly / xp sp3 / usb 2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

packard bells are big piles of sh1te. You'd be supprised what goes wrong with them. You should defo try tech support

My guess, it's a motherboard issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

R click My Computer, manage, disk mamangement
    Long shot but poss windows can see drive , but has not allocated a drive letter to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Partition drive c in 2 ,say 100 gig= c, partition 2 the rest,eg 80gig, reinstall windows on drive c:\ ,using do not format existing drive option, backup data to partition 2.
    COPY all pics,mp3s,photos data,to folder new Backup 1.OR just move them there.
    then Reinstall windows os.ITS possible some malware ,virus has damaged the files that deal with usb external drives.
    or try this sfc http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_system_file_checker_and_how_do_i_run_it.html,
    looks for missing system files.

Advertisement