Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learned opinions on this medium format ebay item!

• 10-10-2010 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

Can anyone who knows about medium format or Hasselblad in particular give an opinion on the below item?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160489250852&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_652wt_907

The reason I ask is it mentions that the back plate is away from the body at one corner. It says the previous user didnt even notice this so I am thinkin it wont be a problem. Would I be right also in saying that when a back is attached that this will put it flush with the body.

Just wondering as I might get a good price for it to help me enter the world of Hasselblad on a budget!

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It might result in light leaks... and it might not. It looks fixable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks a mill.

And with regards to fixing it, is there anyone in Ireland that would service these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Once you get all the extras like lens, 120 back and having it repaired. You're probably going end up paying the same amount as you would for a complete camera.

You gotta ask yourself, what is your budget? What are the used prices these parts cost? How much will it cost to be repaired?

Hasselblads aint cheap. Look up a site called keh.com. They have some good prices on used ones.

Other cameras you could look at would be mamiya, bronica, rolleiflex and yashica.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    Once you get all the extras like lens, 120 back and having it repaired. You're probably going end up paying the same amount as you would for a complete camera.

You gotta ask yourself, what is your budget? What are the used prices these parts cost? How much will it cost to be repaired?

Hasselblads aint cheap. Look up a site called keh.com. They have some good prices on used ones.

Other cameras you could look at would be mamiya, bronica, rolleiflex and yashica.

Hi thanks for the advice.

I have checked out everywhere possible. I'm planning on buying in installments to spread the cost over a few paychecks! Was looking at KEH but then spotted this on eBay. It comes with waist level finder so was figuring that overall it would be worth it so really was just wondering if technically the problem with the camera would be likely to cause problems and if so how much and where to get it fixed in Ireland if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Wrong, Hasselblads ARE cheap, if you keep looking. I've spent two weeks scouting e-bay (uk, com and de) and I got EL-M body with back and metering pentaprism for approx. €100 delivered. And it works like a charm. The lens was a wee bit more expensive, but I have working hassy for less than €250.
    But the items had description not causing any concerns.
    DML is reseller of Hasselblad and they have contact to the repair center, that is the first or the second link in Google, when you look for it.

I would recommend, if you are not in a hurry - search, research and watch what is most likely faultless. The less hassle, the better Hassy ;)

• Advertisement

Hi Th0nda.

Thanks for that! Nice to know about DML.

I have seen bodies for around 100 alright, but they are usually listed as "Bargain" or "fair'.

Our of curiosity, what condition was yours for the price?

In working order, without any problem (apart from me, not reading the manual). There was even adapter for 9V battery. And the battery too :)
    I need to get out during daylight and test the meter, or to get new battery for it. Apart from that, I cannot see a single problem so far. But there was only one roll of film in that so far.
    Good luck with research and don't forget all fleabay versions, especially for US and DE.

When you say all ebay versions, forgive my ignorance, but when you go on the ie version and set preferences to search worldwide, doesnt it give the same listings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Don't know where you are based but Alan McDonald is the best person in Ireland to sort out that problem.

Alan is based in Dublin and was trained by Hasselblad to repair their cameras. A guy that works with him (Declan) is the person to liaise with as he will arrange with you to collect the camera, price of repair etc.

I had a back repaired recently by him...it dated from 1952 and had never been serviced by any previous owner... and I used it at a wedding last month and it worked as good as new.

I highly recommend their work.

I will pm you his mobile number.

Although I tick the all area search, I am getting few more results when I go to national versions. Don't ask my why, but it works that way. My ignorance of IT and on-line stuff obviously shows :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

ThOnda wrote: »
    Although I tick the all area search, I am getting few more results when I go to national versions. Don't ask my why, but it works that way. My ignorance of IT and on-line stuff obviously shows :(

No, I seem to get that too - different results when oogling ebay.ie, ebay.be or ebay.fr and well worth to check out, as for some models they seem to be priced differently in different countries.

Thanks for all the advice, I shall keep you all posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

For what it's worth, I'd try buy a kit if at all possible.

If you know it's all working, and all there, you've got some comfort - If not, you're wondering what goes where, if there's something missing, or if something's not working, where the fault lies.

Tbh, a Hasselblad kit should cost you, in good condition, about €400 - that's for an 80mm lens, waist level finder, and one back.

I'd advise going for the completely mechanical versions rather than the battery powered ones - Some of the batteries can be on the way out, and need constant charge. The fully mechanical ones are built on clockwork - They're easier (and usually cheaper) to fix when it jams (And it WILL jam).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

hmm they've gotten cheaper since I was looking for a medium format camera.. €400 you say.. intriguing :p

I suppose I should have mentioned this was over a year ago when I was pricing them, but yeah go for a kit if possible. Less hassle.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Fajitas! wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I'd try buy a kit if at all possible.

If you know it's all working, and all there, you've got some comfort - If not, you're wondering what goes where, if there's something missing, or if something's not working, where the fault lies.

Tbh, a Hasselblad kit should cost you, in good condition, about €400 - that's for an 80mm lens, waist level finder, and one back.

I'd advise going for the completely mechanical versions rather than the battery powered ones - Some of the batteries can be on the way out, and need constant charge. The fully mechanical ones are built on clockwork - They're easier (and usually cheaper) to fix when it jams (And it WILL jam).

Hi thanks for the points!

As for mechanical vs battery, the early ones are mechanical and they are the ones I can afford so its perfect! I do prefer the idea of all mechanical anyway.

As for kit, yes I hear ya, it would make much more sense to save the money for a kit and buy all at once but hey, saving ain't my thing, so Im gonna buy in installments!

...I'd advise going for the completely mechanical versions rather than the battery powered ones - Some of the batteries can be on the way out, and need constant charge. The fully mechanical ones are built on clockwork - They're easier (and usually cheaper) to fix when it jams (And it WILL jam).

No, it must not jam! I went for EL/M, because it was the cheapest. And has adapter for 9V battery. Going to try few snaps tomorrow, if there is still some fog left in the autumn's handbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

sNarah wrote: »
    No, I seem to get that too - different results when oogling ebay.ie, ebay.be or ebay.fr and well worth to check out, as for some models they seem to be priced differently in different countries.

When you have your heart set on something I find it's always best to check out the other eBay sites. I bought my Pentax ME Super and Yashica from America as they were much more reasonably priced than the .ie or .co.uk sites. eBay Germany is brilliant when the other half is looking for shoes or boots.

It's like anything- shop around!

PoleStar wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the points!

As for mechanical vs battery, the early ones are mechanical and they are the ones I can afford so its perfect! I do prefer the idea of all mechanical anyway.

As for kit, yes I hear ya, it would make much more sense to save the money for a kit and buy all at once but hey, saving ain't my thing, so Im gonna buy in installments!

If you're sure, but you're still going to have an unusable camera system until you get all the parts!!
    ThOnda wrote: »
    No, it must not jam! I went for EL/M, because it was the cheapest. And has adapter for 9V battery. Going to try few snaps tomorrow, if there is still some fog left in the autumn's handbag.

Hasselblads jam, that's what they do - Just hope it's a soft jam and not a hard jam... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'd aslo recommend buying a complete camera (body, lens, wlf, 120 back).

Buying a Hasselblad in installments will more than likely work out very expensive.

A Waist Level Finger in good nick on it's own seem to be selling for about £100 on eBay.

A standard 80mm lens will sell for about £200.

A body.. about £200.

A back... about £100.

The last complete Hasselblad I bought cost £400.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as regards buying a body with a dent, you'd probably find that the spare part to fix the damage would cost you more than the price of the item in the first place. why take a risk, especially since the seller acknowledges that there is a light leak?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The fully mechanical ones are built on clockwork - They're easier (and usually cheaper) to fix when it jams (And it WILL jam).
    argh.

Agreed.

second time in about 18 months. take a shot, and you can't wind on; dunno if that's the mirror jammed up or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

argh.

sounds to me like the cry made by a man whose hasselblad just jammed.

time to dust off the rolleiflex.

Pop the back off and see where the mirror is - If it's jammed up or can be moved up, it's a good(ish) thing. There's a small screw under the lens that can be turned to get the camera back in action. Be careful with your screwing though, if you slip, you'll plant your screwriver in the rear element..

It should close the shutter in the lens, leaving you take it off, then wind on the body with the back back on, and you'll be set again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Pop the back off and see where the mirror is - If it's jammed up or can be moved up, it's a good(ish) thing. There's a small screw under the lens that can be turned to get the camera back in action. Be careful with your screwing though, if you slip, you'll plant your screwriver in the rear element..

It should close the shutter in the lens, leaving you take it off, then wind on the body with the back back on, and you'll be set again.

holy crap. Bronicas definately have the edge here :-) The worst that can happen to a bronica is the lockup you can get if you take a lens and extension tube off the body together, and even that is fairly easy to fix.

You get used to it.

And a screwdriver with shrinkwrap on top becomes part of your Hasselblad kit. :-/

this one isn't terminal yet; for some reason, if you leave the body for a while (shaking it gently doesn't seem to accelerate the process), it can be wound on. a few months ago, it'd lock for half a second or so. now, it's doing it for a minute or more.

• Advertisement

Im almost there!

Buying in installments and seems to be not working out more expensive than buying a complete kit.

Plus the complete kits tend to not be exactly as you wish in terms of having the finder and lens and back you want.

BTW, I didnt go for the body I was asking about.

Last bit to buy is the lens, left it until last as I plan to maybe wait a little bit to have a bit extra to spend on it!

Yes it means I still have a camera I cant use but it is certainly building up the suspense!

Plan on joining Rua Red then and processing my own film and scanning in Rua Red!

BTW has anyone any good recommendations for a second hand light meter?

Advertisement