Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you serious?

• 10-10-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I've got a 6 page essay due tomorrow on "Safe and wise use of the internet". We must have the MEANEST english teacher in Ireland! We didn't even get notes on the topic I picked, just on 1 out of 3 topics to choose from, which was about teenage pregnancy Last week it was a 5 page essay on Polonius in "Hamlet", now this! Do we even have that much time to do a 6 page essay in the actual exam?
    Anyways, I'm telling the teacher straight up that I'm doing pass tomorrow, I can't cope anymore

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Welcome to Ireland and schooling... :rolleyes:

Learn to write till your hand falls off; seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

You can't be expected to write a 6 page essay. Generally you're expected to write 3 pages but it is quality over quantity. I think you have about 75 minutes in the leaving cert for the essay so spend that and try and get 3 pages done. What can she do? I would speak to your year head/principal/tutor about it if I were you, though I know a lot of schools aren't as good and mine for dealing with problems like this.

Don't drop just because you can't write 6 pages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    You can't be expected to write a 6 page essay. Generally you're expected to write 3 pages but it is quality over quantity. I think you have about 75 minutes in the leaving cert for the essay so spend that and try and get 3 pages done. What can she do? I would speak to your year head/principal/tutor about it if I were you, though I know a lot of schools aren't as good and mine for dealing with problems like this.

I think the "average" pages were about 9-14 for paper 1 and paper 2...

Oops, I mean 3 pages for the personal essay thingy only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Ciaramb92 wrote: »

I'm dropping because I'v never gotten Higher than 50% in a test since first year, and I think the teacher is incompetent at teaching. I'd be great at english IF I had a teacher who doesn't waste time on trivial things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

6 page essay? Why? I taught English for years and never heard of any guidelines about 6 page essays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If I were you i'd slip "Quality over Quantity is the motto" somewhere in that essay and just do four pages as you're expected to do in the actual exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

6 pages on such a horrible topic? Usually the titles that come up in the exam are generic and can be about a wide range of topics... nothing as specific as this. I mean where can you go with this but to talk about predators and scammers looking to deceive innocent users of the net? Maybe you could talk about Facebook and the way people are addicted to it, wasting hours.. and then that can lead on into businesses losing money over employees being on the net... and so on.

Sounds like riveting stuff! But at least your teacher is getting you to do this. I remember ours would give us an essay maybe once every 3 months and then took about another 2 months to get them corrected. She even commented one day when we handed them up 'great weekend I have, reading through that pile of rubbish'... Certainly wasnt encouraging.

Do what you can, but dont worry about this 6 pages minimum. Just try be creative with it and argue your points logistically and if you can think of specific cases to throw in, that would be great.. Like for example, the girl in America who killed herself over bullying on facebook, or the way the world knew about the woman who threw the cat in the bin.. etc.

Botulism wrote: »
    I'm dropping because I'v never gotten Higher than 50% in a test since first year, and I think the teacher is incompetent at teaching. I'd be great at english IF I had a teacher who doesn't waste time on trivial things.

Grinds maybe? I hate seeing people dropping down levels when they are fully capable of higher level (and you said you would be?). You wouldn't need grinds every week and maybe in between you could find someone who is an English teacher to correct your work (that you do outside of class), even if you emailed somebody your work?

I wouldn't bother with your teacher.

Never give up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Problem is she's giving us all this work when we have a lot of other hard work to do but going ahead with it anyways. We got the corrections of our 2nd year summer tests just under a year after doing it

• Advertisement
Advertisement