Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 out of warranty repair

Options
  • 10-10-2010 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Will Sony fix my nephew's PS3 if it is out of warranty?The console was bought in December 2007 and used on regular basic from what he told me.
    ps3 turns off on its own straight away, when he turns it on .

Now ...What shoul he do?

1-bring console to the shop where he bought it to let them contact Sony
    2-To contact Sony directly

I had a quick glance at Sony guarantee for this product and it says that

http://uk.playstation.com/media/245346/PS3%20Manufacture's%20Guarantee.pdf

He can't claim under this guarantee if the product is damaged as result of
    fair wear and tear ( this is the case)

any opinions?

Thank you

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Are you sure it's fair wear and tear? How old is the device?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only real contract is with the shop were he bought it; expect a discussion over it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

RangeR wrote: »
    Are you sure it's fair wear and tear? How old is the device?

Hi RangerR

The console developed fault called red blinking light of dead

as shown on youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXzN7jCcRA&feature=related

the device will be 3 year old in december 2010

Nody wrote: »
    Only real contract is with the shop were he bought it; expect a discussion over it though.

Hi Nody

I was under impression that the contract with with the shop expires once the device/product is out of warranty.Will this be correct?
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Hiya,

You could have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516

There are a few of us where the ps3's have broken outside of warranty and some of us have been successful in getting new ps3's from the shops.

Although some people have had to go to the small claims court and have won there too.

hth :D

• Advertisement

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Had this problem myself with two PS3's, my first I got in 2006 or 2007.
    Called them up and they said out of warranty, I said It's not fulfilling the purpose intended, consumer rights agreed with me and I got a 'repaired' PS3 sent back to me. The failed again, so I was sent another 'repaired' PS3. That lasted one week. I rang up, went mad on the phone and got sent a brand spanking new slim PS3 as an apology.

Ring consumer rights and they'll be best able to tell you how to go about it.

Edit: They organised an exchange through Smyths, though I originally got one from Gamestop. Smyths were the nearest point of contact to me through Sony apparently so I went in and got handed a new one, they took the broken one.

Advertisement