Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puncture! to stop or not to stop?

• 10-10-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49

As an active member of a cycling club I'm just wondering what policy other clubs have regarding cyclists in the group puncturing. Our policy seems to be if one punctures someone will shout "puncture" and depending on who has punctured the group may or may not stop!Is this the modern norm or just extremely rude bad manners in the particular club I'm in?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I reckon if people dont stop on a spin its bad form regardless of club, the entire group doesn't need to stop though. It takes about 4 minutes to change a tube and a good challenge to catch up with the main group again.

edit- depending of course if the 'victim' wants someone to stay with them or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 abbeyside1

I think the best policy is the group continue for 10 minutes or so and turn around and go back to meet up with the puncture victim.That way the group doesn't get cold standing around waiting and no one gets left behind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Normally we continue to the next village and turn around

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

I would have to say i think its always best to stop and stick together or alternatively some stop and the others just roll along nice and easy to let the others catch up. that being said with the latter it needs to be pre-arranged with everyone before the spin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The method that I have seen (in a large group) is for the group to continue but around two people to stay behind with the puncture victim.
    Then 3 can pace line it back to the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

exactly what happened to me today. 2-3 stayed to help out, then we caught the main group - who had actually stopped further up the road anyway.

ROK ON wrote: »
    The method that I have seen (in a large group) is for the group to continue but around two people to stay behind with the puncture victim.
    Then 3 can pace line it back to the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭buffalo

anoble66 wrote: »
    exactly what happened to me today. 2-3 stayed to help out, then we caught the main group - who had actually stopped further up the road anyway.

+1 This was my experience with Orwell. Two lads who I'd only met on the ride that morning stopped and helped me. But the rest of the gang stopped about 50ft up the road anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yeah, sneding a couple of riders back is the way it usually is, and the main group takes its foot off the gas a bit untill they catch back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

In Galway Bay cycling club one of the mechanics from Nigels Cycle Store follows the group in a car with spare wheels and a toolbox. If someone gets a puncture he whips of the the wheel and replaces it immediately with a spare. The group doesn't even have to slow down and the "victim" can draft behind the car to get back on to the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

In Galway Bay cycling club one of the mechanics from Nigels Cycle Store follows the group in a car with spare wheels and a toolbox. If someone gets a puncture he whips of the the wheel and replaces it immediately with a spare. The group doesn't even have to slow down and the "victim" can draft behind the car to get back on to the group.

"Hey Nigel, any chance of a loan of a pump? I'm in Dublin.":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement