Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging a card in bulk for a time period?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in Legal Discussion or Consumer Issues.. but basically, here's the story!

I was charged 3 times on 1 day for parking on my Visa card.. this is very odd so I questioned the Sligo Borough Council on this. I was informed that due to a "software error", Sligo Borough Council weren't charging Visa / Mastercard cards for parking. So when they discovered this, they were charging cards in bulk for periods.

So for example, they were charging a Visa / Mastercard for all the parking in one day over the period of a couple of months. So your bank statement might look this:

Oct 03 2010 | Sligo Borough Council | €1.20

All these transactions would go through on the same day.. but they'd be for parking spanning 2 - 3 months. Now I could be wrong, but this sounds a bit dodgy.

Can anyone elaborate on whether this is all above ground and legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you know you owe the money fair enough. If you think you were charged in error, then ask the visa co for a charge back. It would be very hard for sligo cc to argue that they were sure when you had or had not parked.

Had an issue before where a read from a cc terminal showed payments made during the day but when the batch was done in the evening some payments were not shown. The visa help desk told me to re-enter them manually using the customers details from the 1st read.

Didn't do it, sounded too dodgy. By the next day the payments were showing, If I had entered them, the customer would have been charged twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited in Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement