Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 - Fan/Temperature Issue

Options
  • 10-10-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭

I bought a faulty PS3 on adverts that had a bad laser, what the seller neglected to mention is that the thing sounds like a jumbo jet! (probably meaning that it has been YLOD repaired... poorly :mad: )

Literally within in about a minute of turning it on the fan goes to max speed (louder than my ps3 has ever gone), its pumping out cold air.

At first I thought, ok this seems like a thermal paste issue, so I cracked it open, remove the old paste and apply some as5..... seems to last a little longer before kicking into over drive (maybe two mins, I could be imagining things though)

So the way i see it there is two possible cause:

[1] The heat sink is not making proper contact with the chips - I'm pretty happy with how I spread the paste tbh, although i did notice that the heat sink didnt have a flawless finish on it, it didnt look bad enought to me to cause any real problems, but maybe....

[2] Temperature sensor or fans are goosed... does the ps3 have a way of displaying temps ?(jailbroked or other wise)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I bought a faulty PS3 on adverts that had a bad laser, what the seller neglected to mention is that the thing sounds like a jumbo jet! (probably meaning that it has been YLOD repaired... poorly :mad: )

Literally within in about a minute of turning it on the fan goes to max speed (louder than my ps3 has ever gone), its pumping out cold air.

At first I thought, ok this seems like a thermal paste issue, so I cracked it open, remove the old paste and apply some as5..... seems to last a little longer before kicking into over drive (maybe two mins, I could be imagining things though)

So the way i see it there is two possible cause:

[1] The heat sink is not making proper contact with the chips - I'm pretty happy with how I spread the paste tbh, although i did notice that the heat sink didnt have a flawless finish on it, it didnt look bad enought to me to cause any real problems, but maybe....

[2] Temperature sensor or fans are goosed... does the ps3 have a way of displaying temps ?(jailbroked or other wise)

My original PS3 went YLOD of death, it gradually got louder until it sounded like a hairdryer. I would guess your seller either knew the end was nigh, or had YLOD repaired, either way its likely to be fooked in short order. There is no good fix for YLOD, its just a question of how long it lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How did you pay for the ps3? There's no way I'd just let that slip. Knowingly not putting that in the ad constitutes a paypal dispute imo. You have all the text of the ad there to prove your case. I'd also run that by the Adverts mods, they've been able to resolve issues like that in the past by contacting sellers. Bad form though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I wouldnt have a leg to stand on, PS3 was as described. Working but with a faulty laser, how loud the fan is is not something i could dispute with paypal.
    Anyways I've since opened it and re-applied termal paste, so i def wouldnt have a claim now , if I ever did.

A-mods arent particularly bothered to how somebody words their ads when it comes to broken consoles, I had a much worse case of misdirection pretty much brushed off before, cant imagine much has changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I suppose by opening it that does weaken your case. The fan blowing like that is a fault that was not mentioned is it not?

Does anyone know a decent site for discussing Ps3 repairs, basically i need the xbox scene of ps3s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You could take out the fan and run the board with a multimeter on the fan pin header, measuring for increasing voltage (aka moar power). This could rule out the fans being bust in favour of fans doing what they're told.

How long does it last with the fans on full tilt? Is it just the noise that's bothersome? Because you could attach a fan controller and manually control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Im interested in this to know where I stand aswell.
    much the same issue as witnessmenow except with a 360 sold as rrod seller made out he knew nothing about it.
    when I opened it upp to take a look I knew why.... the back of the board is destroyed completely unrepairable :mad:.
    havent done anything yet as I'm trying to find out where I stand but as far as I know I havnt a leg to stand on with paypal as it was sold as faulty.
    Any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Paypal will not entertain disputes where you didn't use ebay except for non-receipt of goods disputes. You have no leg to stand on with them. If you have the goods, and they have your money, and you've been scammed, then you're on your own as far as they're concerned.

thats pretty much what i thought myself
    dosent matter anyway I'ts still good for parts

Does anyone know a decent site for discussing Ps3 repairs, basically i need the xbox scene of ps3s!
    far as I know the ps3 isn't worth reflowing lasts 2 or 3 months and breaks again.
    Your going to need to get it reballed

• Advertisement

Its currently working though. and even then re-balling costs about €85 for a proper job, so add the fact it needs a laser another €50 its really creeping up to another second hand ps3 sort of price

Its currently working though. and even then re-balling costs about €85 for a proper job, so add the fact it needs a laser another €50 its really creeping up to another second hand ps3 sort of price
    its working for now but i'd say its on its way out.
    just out of curiosity where in limerick would you get it reballed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

yep, I was looking for faulty ps3 to fix, actually I've got three. I broke one myself by lifting the board to reapply AS5, no visible damage, but it was ok before, now I have flashing red led.

As for cost of fixing I saw 120gb slim in Cash Converters for €200. Not bad, I'm really tempted to off load those 3 on ebay and get that one.

Advertisement