Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 Cooler, which one

Options
  • 10-10-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Looking for practical advice before I buy a cooling system for i7 920 going into a P6x58D-E

The reason I post here is because there seems to be such a range of coolers / fans / water systems etc available. I do not want to spend a fortune, I just want to play safe. I will be using the system in a decent full tower case HAF932 for flight and racing sim mainly.

Will a reasonable heatsink fan combo do me? Will I be able to cool the chip for <€30?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Thye only sub-€30 cooler that stands a chance of keeping an OC'd 130W+ CPU in check is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, but its getting harder to find :(

The next level of awesome up is the Scythe Mugen 2 (you can get either revision as they both support LGA1366) which costs €33+ but can easily shift 150W+ of heat without much effort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Many thanks both of you, I had not known about these. Any opinions on the Corsair H50? (possibly a second hand one)?

EDIT: Also, I am finding it impossible to find a Mugen 2 in stock, what do you reckon to the Scythe Ninja 3 as an alternative?

Contrary to popular opinion the H50 isn't the bestest cooler evar, and while still very good its use is fairly specific - to bridge the "air gap" in big Full Tower cases. "Big air" CPU coolers tend to suffer from a lack of laminar pressure in huge big cases like the 1200/HAF/ATCS/Phantom/800D etc. where there are no intakes anywhere near the CPU and even the exhausts tend to be set a little further back. By moving the cooler's radiator closer to the periphery of the case you get better pressure and better heat transfer, just like the "real" water cooling that such cases are explicitly designed for.

Anyway its pretty pricey even second-hand IIRC and with the Big Two AWOL you're a bit stuck.... :o Not sure about the Ninja, I'm not a huge fan personally :o

Komplett are selling the CM Hyper 212 plus for 32 quid. Think I'll get one, I believe they are offering free shipping atm.

• Advertisement

Nice given the lack of shipping ;) Doubt it'll hold 4GHz easily but 3.something should be easy enough for it! :D

Solitaire wrote: »
    Nice given the lack of shipping ;) Doubt it'll hold 4GHz easily but 3.something should be easy enough for it! :D

:) Solitaire, you always manage to put an element of doubt into each f your replies.....
    Let's say I wanna handle 4ghz, what cooler would you recommend for the 30-50 quid price range that's actually available?

dnme wrote: »
    :) Solitaire, you always manage to put an element of doubt into each f your replies.....
    Let's say I wanna handle 4ghz, what cooler would you recommend for the 30-50 quid price range that's actually available?
    ye he,s good at that lol:D:D

innyhuu
    just got my hands on a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C for 30 quid. happy days

thats wat i use on my i5 great cooler im at 4.2ghz

• Advertisement

Its not like I just spent the last hour-and-a-half reading reviews to see which available coolers were good with hyperhot (OCd 125W+) CPU's or anything...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Its not like I just spent the last hour-and-a-half reading reviews to see which available coolers were good with hyperhot (OCd 125W+) CPU's or anything...

:(
    lol, you have tooooo much time on your hands :P

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

Cooler Master V8 or V12 will do u for looooooong time

V8 is okay but a bit overpriced for something not much better than a Hyper 212+. It gets royally beaten by the TRUE anyhow :D

And you do know the V12 is an urban myth, right? :o:p

And you do know the V12 is an urban myth, right? :o:p

or Ireland is far back in technology....

...or you really mean the Coolermaster V10 :p

The V12 was never released, the leaked pics suggested an oversized V8, no sign of a TEC like the V10, and the sheer weight of a 16-heatpipe cooler would have been too much for any mobo to bear. Some even discredited the shots as a very cleverly photoshopped V8 :o

might be... over sized V8 would be cool...

If it's not available its somewhat academic anyway :o:p But I'm guessing the second you put your tower back upright the V12 would rip the socket area of the motherboard clean out :eek: Thou cannot support 3lbs of cooler on PCB alone! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

I worship in the church of NOCTUA and get down on my knees and pray to the god of AIR cooling NH-D14

And my devotion is rewarded with a i7 860 running 4GHz at 35-75c e-peen!

e-peen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nvus wrote: »
    I worship in the church of NOCTUA and get down on my knees and pray to the god of AIR cooling NH-D14

And my devotion is rewarded with a i7 860 running 4GHz at 35-75c e-peen
    me too with my Noctua D12

I get 21500k in Vantage with a 5850 :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

lmimmfn wrote: »

Wow, jeebuz cant wait to see your screen-shot of that score, 21.5K with 5850 a card that only cost 70/80 €uros more than my GTX460, and do you not miss PysX as a feature?

I wonder if I could beat that score if I set my CPU FSP to 200.5x21 I might be able to get 4,2GHz while only hitting say 40c-85C (the NOCTUA being that good)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

lmimmfn wrote: »

D12? You mean U12DX or U12P?

+1 for the Noctua love though.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

If anyone cares, I love Noctua too :o:D

Advertisement