Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questioning a 13 year old

• 10-10-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi just a bit of information, Is it legal for a psychologist interview/question a 13 year girl without a parent or guardian present. Then not talk with the rest of the family before making a diagnosis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Consent needs to be obtained for all assessment invesitgations or treatments for anyone under 18; however, a psychologist is not a medical doctor and not bound by medical practice law and regulations - this also applies to diagnosis as far I know. Psychiatric diagnoses are made by psychiatrists so are by medical doctors *only*.

If they are a working from an unregulated branch of any mental health intervention service you will find it more difficult to get clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If this occurred as part of a child protection order, I think this could happen. However, it is out of my field. When I used to work with under 18s I needed permission from the parents, however, that did not mean they where entitled to know what was said during a session.

This seems very unusual to me and if it did happen and it was a professional, then there is information missing, very significant information.

What was the child seen by a psychologist in the first place? Who made contact?

Advertisement