Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 Closure outside Virginia - Tomorrow till November... why?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

For the last few days there's been signs up saying the N3 on the Dublin side of Virginia to Cross will be closed from tomorrow (11/10) till early November with diversions in place via Mullagh on one side and out near Oldcastle on the other.

Anyone know why? The road between Virginia and Mullagh isn't exactly great - especially considering the traffic that's about to be routed through it, so I'd imagine it'll be lots of "fun" for the next few weeks!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Afaik it's a new gas pipe line going in .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from the county council
    Emergency Road Closure

Notice is hereby given that Cavan County Council has made an order to close to public traffic the roads described hereunder:

1. Road Closed:

N3 from Mullagh Road Junction (R194) to Maghera (Junction with L7102) from Monday, 11 October to Friday, 5 November 2010 from 08.00 to 18.00 hours daily Monday to Thursday and Fridays from 08.00 hours until 15.30 hours to facilitate the installation of a new gas main.

Alternative Route: N3 Southbound (Dublin, Navan, Kells)
    Mullagh Road Junction (R194) to Mullagh, (R194) to Moynalty, (R164) to Kells (M3).

N3 Northbound (Ballyshannon, Cavan)
    Maghera Junction (L3024) to Woods toTighes Cross
    Woods to Tighes Cross (L3023 to L3022) to Eighter Cross
    Eighter Cross (R195) to Dunancory Bridge
    Dunancory Bridge (R194) to Main Street, Virginia (N3)
    Local Traffic in the area will be accommodated as far as possible. All enquiries regarding the above Road Closure should be directed to Virginia Area Office at 049 854 7013.
    http://www.cavancoco.ie/cavanweb/publish/domain/cavancoco/Default.aspx?StructureID_str=255&guid=285

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Great timing tbh, Pumpkin Festival and all..... sure why not!

Great timing tbh, Pumpkin Festival and all..... sure why not!
    the diversions are only on weekdays during work hours.
    The pumpkin festival is late on Friday and in Sunday. So no overlap.

Pumpkin festival diversion details:
    Proposed Road Closure

Notice is hereby given that Cavan County Council intends to close to public traffic the road described hereunder
    - from Friday, 22 October from 19.00 hours to 23.00 hours
    - and on Sunday, 24 October 2010 from 12.30 hours to 03.00 hours on Monday, 25 October
    for the purpose of Virginia Pumpkin Festival.

1. Road Closed:

N3 Main Street, Virginia from Bailieborough Road Junction to the Square and New Street.Sunday only: 12.30pm to 5.00 pm
    Bailieborough Road from entrance to Forest Park to Junction with N3

Alternative Route:
    N3 Southbound (Dublin, Navan, Kells), Lisgrey junction (L3007 to L3006) to Killinkere, Killinkere (L3550) to Corradooa Cross, Corradooa Cross (R179) to Virginia N3 (Jacks Smiths Garage) (Except Sunday 12.30pm to 5.00pm)

Sunday 12.30pm to 5.00pm Corradooa Cross to Cross Chapel (L3008), Cross Chapel to Maghera via Cloughergoole Cross (L7040, L7102)

Ballyjamesduff to Dublin
    Virginia Road (R194) to Copponagh Cross
    Copponagh Cross (L3012) to Lisgrey
    Lisgrey South via the N3 Southbound diversion route.

N3 Northbound (Ballyshannon, Cavan)
    Maghera Junction (L3024) to Woods toTighes Cross
    Woods to Tighes Cross (L3023 to L3022) to Eighter Cross
    Eighter Cross (R195) to Dunancory Bridge
    Dunancory Bridge (R194) to Coppanangh Cross
    Coppanangh Cross (L3012) to Lisgrey Cross

Dublin to Ballyjamesduff:
    Maghera to Dunancory Bridge as per N3 Northbound diversion route detailed above. Dunancory Bridge to Ballyjamesduff via R194

The diversion routes will be fully signed and the Virginia Pumpkin Festival Committee will provide stewards along the detour routes.

Parking of vehicles will be prohibited on Friday, 22 October from 19.00 hours to 23.00 hours and Sunday, 24 October from 13.00 hours to 21.00 hours on New Street and Main Street from New Street to the Square.

All enquiries regarding the above Proposed Road Closure should be directed to Virginia Area Office at 049 854 7013.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've left a message for the relevant guy in Cavan Co Co to call me back as it's ridiculous diverting main-line traffic on a 20-30 minute detour over narrow twisty, poorly-surfaced backroads where the locals tear around the place because "they know them", and all because some idiot thought it'd be a good idea to close a National Primary Route during working hours for a MONTH, rather than make the contractors work at night/weekends like they would in any other country.

Probably won't get me very far but at least some pen-pusher will get an earful before he knocks off at half 4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

you have to ask the question why this wasn't done when the main roadworks were taking place? I've often wondered why when new roads are being constructed that a load of service tunnels aren't left to cater for future works so that utilities can push pipes down them much easier as opposed to digging up the roads all the time. I hope you get an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd suggest people contact the council offices. I have. I don't mind the roadworks but they are meant to finish at six each evening (as per the council website and declaration in local paper Mon to Thursday). Every evening last week they were still ongoing at half 6 and people were bring diverted.

It's a joke. I rang the council office Thursday and was told an engineer was due to speak to the contractor about it that day but, yet again, on Thursday evening traffic was being diverted after six. I told the lad holding the cones (I know it's not his fault) to tell his boss that if it isn't open Monday evening at that time, I'll be moving the cones myself and driving through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've left a message for the relevant guy in Cavan Co Co to call me back as it's ridiculous diverting main-line traffic on a 20-30 minute detour over narrow twisty, poorly-surfaced backroads where the locals tear around the place because "they know them", .....................................................

Any traffic problems are nothing to do with the locals "tearing" around the roads.

Some people do have to travel against the flow of the diversion, you know?

As for the Gas line installation? Do you suggest no diversion should have been put in place?

Gophur wrote: »
    Any traffic problems are nothing to do with the locals "tearing" around the roads.

Some people do have to travel against the flow of the diversion, you know?
    Indeed, and I'll even grant you that the chosen route is insufficent for the volume and type of traffic now using it (40 ft trucks squeezing through narrow laneways), BUT many locals do and are travelling at excess speeds on these roads generally/nationally, part of their reasoning being that they "know them"
    As for the Gas line installation? Do you suggest no diversion should have been put in place?
    I think the work should be carried out from 8PM-6AM and over the weekends, not during daytime/commuting/business hours, which would also be the norm in most countries. Closing a main primary route for a MONTH to facilitate these works is completely unacceptable in my view - especially given the poor alternative routing.

Work for the council yourself by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Anyone know the additional distance added to a journey due to this diversion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Indeed, and I'll even grant you that the chosen route is insufficent for the volume and type of traffic now using it (40 ft trucks squeezing through narrow laneways), BUT many locals do and are travelling at excess speeds on these roads generally/nationally, part of their reasoning being that they "know them"

I think the work should be carried out from 8PM-6AM and over the weekends, not during daytime/commuting/business hours, which would also be the norm in most countries. Closing a main primary route for a MONTH to facilitate these works is completely unacceptable in my view - especially given the poor alternative routing.

Work for the council yourself by any chance?

obviously its not priced for.

ffs- if you'd no gas you'd be complaining more. be thankful.

and no. i don't work for the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

tunney wrote: »
    Anyone know the additional distance added to a journey due to this diversion?

20-30 mins apparently.

thebullkf wrote: »
    ffs- if you'd no gas you'd be complaining more. be thankful.
    Actually (completely off-topic I know) I wouldn't...

I'd much rather have an oil tank in the back garden that I fill as needed for a fixed/known charge, than paying standing charges for a service that I've barely used over the last few months and that will cost me a fortune over the next 4/5.

But unfortunately the only option in most of these newer estates seems to be gas - unless you specify otherwise at the build stage, or are prepared to fork out to have the house converted later.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It gets worse....

Road is now closed from 7 in the morning to half 7 at night. I arrived at the roadworks this morning to be told that the road closed earlier and that I should have heard it on the radio as it has been on it all morning about the change...

Alot of use to me considering I'd just gotten into the car about three minutes earlier to leave my estate. Ended up 20 minutes late for work.

And there are trucks using the back roads that are far too big for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

OT: Ballinagh to Grandard road closed.... Massive Diversion. Yet again Cavan Co. Co. at its best. Almost got hit by 10 or so massive trucks serving a certain milling company, cement company and pigeries.

OT: Ballinagh to Grandard road closed.... Massive Diversion. Yet again Cavan Co. Co. at its best. Almost got hit by 10 or so massive trucks serving a certain milling company, cement company and pigeries.
    Today is the last day of diversions.

They actually are doing a good job on the sections they are resurfacing.
    And they are shoring up the verge with clay in places so that you dont fall off the edge and into the field 10 foot below.

I drove it last weekend when the diversions were lifted and bit by bit they are getting this road into some sort of drivable state.

From the amount of road closures (aside form the gas pipe) the council must have received a wedge of cash there to use up before the end of the year.

And at least they are doing their best to use it when they have it.
    Remember a few years back when Longford gave BACK money to the government at year end as they couldnt use it up on their roads.
    Idiots.

Advertisement