Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband losing connection upstairs.

• 10-10-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hello people,

As the title says, I keep losing my connection when I bring my laptop upstairs, it's strange as I'm with eircom a few years now and never had this problem before, it used to work grand upstairs. It's not that I never receive a connection, sometimes it does work but out of the blue the signal goes. Very annoying.

I have noticed there seems to be more wireless connections around my area lately, don't know if that should affect it or not.

I also rang up eircom complaining, the man said is your router beside your wireless phone, which it is, he then explained it's most likely that your phone signal is too strong and interrupting the broadband signal. But I never had a problem with this before, only in the last 2 months.

I'm getting a bit p***ed off with Eircom, with their sneaky "up to 8mg" next generation broadband, even though it still runs over the old copper cables. Plus their 30GB download limit they've slapped on, I had to pay an extra €16 on top of my last bill. It's becoming a joke.

Anybody any ideas that would help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I have noticed there seems to be more wireless connections around my area lately, don't know if that should affect it or not.

It would if some of the other wireless points are using the same channel as yours. You could try changing the channel in the router configuration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

bealtine wrote: »
    It would if some of the other wireless points are using the same channel as yours. You could try changing the channel in the router configuration.

How would I go about doing that? Sorry I wouldn't be an expert in computers lol

How would I go about doing that? Sorry I wouldn't be an expert in computers lol

http://www.netopia.com/support/intl/eircom/technotes/IEWG_110.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's nothing to do with eircom

It's interference on your WiFi, which is NOTHING to do with eircom service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sandy Ravage

Download a program called inSSIDer it shows what wifi channels are being used around you. Then you can pick 1 that is not in use

• Advertisement

I've changed the channel, so I'll see how I get on with this, I'm upstairs now and it's working ok, hopefully stays the same.

Cheers people :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭horse7

looks like watty was right.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Hello people,

Plus their 30GB download limit they've slapped on, I had to pay an extra €16 on top of my last bill. It's becoming a joke.

The limit was always there from day 1. eircom just chose not to enforce and charge for exceeding limit until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

horse7 wrote: »
    looks like watty was right.??
    Don't forget bealtine

:mad: Nope just when I thought things were looking good, last night I kept losing losing the signal, I was messing around on the netopia site, trying different channels and different settings, then I couldn't connect to anything at all. It was getting late so I left it for the night.

I was also trying to configure stuff in the control panel, in the wireless manager part, by removing my SSID and adding it back. I'm using Windows 7.

I'm in college now so won't be able to try/check anything till i get home.

I think me mother has a phone number to ring as well, must get in touch with them.

I was thinking of switching to UPC a few weeks back it was annoying me so much and the man that works for eircom gave her a number to ring. But since you's say it's nothing to do with Eircom I most likely won't switch, although I don't like the 30GB download limit, I've gone over it the last 2 months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

I posted with similar problem recently and was really annoyed at eircom like yourself and got similar replies, people defending eircom claiming its not their responsibility, not their fault etc. You would probably be better off with UPC, dont listen to these guys who defend eircom, they're probably employed by them. Im sticking with them for the moment because the problem was sorted by a third party at a cost and I have a 12month contract but Im annoyed at myself for not looking into UPC first. Eircoms service is certainly not the best or cheapest around and i wont be recommending them or defending them like the sly people I've come across here on boards.

Wailin wrote: »
    I posted with similar problem recently and was really annoyed at eircom like yourself and got similar replies, people defending eircom claiming its not their responsibility, not their fault etc.

defending them like the sly people I've come across here on boards.

eircom's responsibility ends at the NTU (main phone socket) if you don't like it take your complaint to Comreg.Venting is fine but doesn't change the reality of that particular issue.

If pointing out the obvious is "sly" or a "defence of eircom" then you are obviously in the wrong place or reading everything wrong. The very last thing boards users can be accused of is "defending eircom".

Advertisement