Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turbo Training ?? Advice?

• 10-10-2010 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Folks,

Just set the turbo trainer up and ready to start using it for the winter .. starting tomorrow. Had a nightmare summer on the bike so hoping I can build a really good base up for next year .... any advice on programs for training sessions?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Chrs Carmicheal does a good series in training DVDs to use when on turbo. Got a couple from wiggle last year & they got me through the ice and snow til february.
    You'll only be looking at an hr until your so bored you'll begin to think about getting the Hoover out or emptying the dishwasher instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

DinaElla wrote: »
    Folks,

Just set the turbo trainer up and ready to start using it for the winter .. starting tomorrow. Had a nightmare summer on the bike so hoping I can build a really good base up for next year .... any advice on programs for training sessions?

Cheers

http://www.training4cyclists.com/wintertraining.pdf

This is what I am using

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Folks,

Cheers

Check out

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/

I have some Spinervals DVDs (Aero Base Builder series) I haven't used yet, but they come recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

also the sept-nov edition of health & fitness cycling edition magazine had a good 12 week training programme included - a lot of which was designed to be done on the turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

which one did you get. Is there a big difference betwwen them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Hoping i won't have to use the turbo this yr, boring as hell and very very sweaty :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

what do you want to get out of it? do the same as you do on the road but for less time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DinaElla

Cheers for the links - reading through them now.

I got the Tacx T1680 Flow - seemed to be well recommended so I went with it.

Core Fitness is my first priority - through injury I have lost core fitness over the last 8 weeks and need to get that back before chancing any improvement training. I put on a good bit of weight as well so need to knock that off (diet - 'eat less move more' should help)

my overall goal - the lads I cycle with are all hitting an avg of 32/35kph (depending on route) and this year I was at 27/28kph so I want to improve enough to be able to keep pace with them next summer - and have strength/distance in my legs to be able to push training next year ... without getting injured :)

Cheers for any advice ..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

32\35 kph....is that my imagination or is that very fast. What route would that be on as a matter of interest

Well, I'm lagging behind all the time at 27kph/28kph but we certainly get passed out by the local clubs so I'm not sure its that fast overall ... . Its all local routes in the midlands (Mullingar, Tyrrellspass, Rhode, Killbeggan) normally 80k spins and sometimes we head out and include the Wolftrap/The cut but the average is certainly less while climbing up there.

I can keep with the lads on the flats but I get dropped very quickly on the hills so want to use the trainer to build up some fitness and then better averages .... thats the plan anyway although can't say it looks that exciting now I have it set up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Using a HRM is key on the turbo for me.

I've used CTS videos for turbo sessions in the past but, while they might be well structured etc., they are awful to watch. I really don't want to watch Terri the dental-hygienist from Delaware and the other unblinking acolytes in the Carmichael vids burn the envelope while I'm trying to stay fit in the winter. Clean cut to the point of creepy. If scientoligists made spinning vids they'd be indistinguishable from CTS.

I've used a few of the sufferfest videos and found they bare more rewatching. They mostly use footage from UCI races and found footage from the internet. It's very well structured with intervals of deminishing length/increasing intensity and sprints, climbs etc. thrown in. Beats watching other people on turbos.

Failing that just do a structured session with the HRM. 2 x 20mins @whatever you think your tempo bpm is. Threshold if you can take it. Getting on the turbo without a plan is likely to leave you incredibly bored after 15 minutes and back on the couch after 25.
    32\35 kph....is that my imagination or is that very fast. What route would that be on as a matter of interest

It would be an impressive pace for a solo spin of any length, but I suspect that the OP is referring to a group. A decent group over flatish ground should be able to average 32 pretty easily and 35 seems reasonable if they are working well.

@DinaElla are you comparing your solo times to their avg as a group? Because that's not a fair comparison at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Smithzer wrote: »

A lot of pretty high intensity stuff there for this time of the year. I've had similar recommended myself. What do people think of intervals in October?? Seems to run counter to conventional (read what I used to believe) wisdom - build a base, then build on the base.

@niceonetom ... I think your right and if I do not have a training plan marked out I won't last a couple of session on the trainer so want to map it out for that reason alone.

most of my avg is solo - I head off with the group but get dropped about 40k in and/or once the hills start .. nearly all solo if its a mountain climb ... the rest of the lads can keep with the group. I did the tour of the downs in the midlands this year and exactly the same thing happened with the larger group .... ok for 40k and then dropped.... its frustrating so want to put the work in this winter ..

uberwolf wrote: »
    A lot of pretty high intensity stuff there for this time of the year. I've had similar recommended myself. What do people think of intervals in October?? Seems to run counter to conventional (read what I used to believe) wisdom - build a base, then build on the base.

I remember seeing that .pdf before and thinking the same thing you are. It looks like the kind of program that would have you in shape for christmas and burnt out by the time the first race came around, but I suppose it depends on your tolerance.

I don't know if the "conventional wisdom" has been thoroughly debunked yet, but there have always been those who never stopped doing high intensity work be it intervals on the turbo, winter training camps in the Canaries or racing cyclocross. I think a lot of pros baulk at the idea of spending months "building the base", I've heard Kelly dismiss it anyway. It clearly works for some though, but who's to say they wouldn't be even better if they used a different build period...

For me, long-slow-distance is simply not an option for the turbo (Not if the thin veneer of sanity is to be maintained anyway) so if the turbo is to feature at all, that means high intensity. Maybe there are some who can do 3 hour sessions on the turbo, but not me. It's pragmatism rather than science really.

most of my avg is solo - I head off with the group but get dropped about 40k in and/or once the hills start .. nearly all solo if its a mountain climb ... the rest of the lads can keep with the group. I did the tour of the downs in the midlands this year and exactly the same thing happened with the larger group .... ok for 40k and then dropped.... its frustrating so want to put the work in this winter ..

The best results are likely to come from focusing on what you are weakest at. If that's climbing, well, losing weight always works. You have to build power too but most riders who can hang on on the flat but go out the back on the hill have one thing in common - weight. If you're struggling with the distance, that's just a question of building it up incrementally. The winter is a good time to build up endurance by extended spins, say 10% longer each week. As spins get longer you need to factor in eating and drinking at a suitable rate too so don't ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

uberwolf wrote: »

I know but I really need a base. I have flapped around for the last 2 years stop starting my cycling going mad for a couple of months then nothing for a couple hence the intensity, if I have the engine to keep with my pals I'll have the motivation to keep it going all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

DinaElla

I'd also watch what u eat before u go out with the group, porridge is best for slow releasing energy along with bananas when your out on the bike, i find drinking a pint of water before i go out and bringing 2 full bottles out on the bike and making sure they're empty by the time i get home helps.

If your getting dropped on hills it'd be worth doing all your training on hills not only will it improve your climbing but it'll also make u stronger on the flat sections.

Finally u might have some mental block come 40k, try forgetting about 40k and just hang on as long as u can, if u do get dropped try to get back on when the road gets a bit easier, even if u can stay with them for 5k longer each week in no time you'll stay with them all day.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

if they where propper mates they wouldnt drop you :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

levitronix wrote: »
    if they where propper mates they wouldnt drop you :(

or a proper club :)

Advertisement