Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The price of parrots

Options
  • 10-10-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm wondering how much I'll need to save before I can afford a Macaw, a rough idea of cage, micro-chipping and original purchase price and any unforeseen extras. Is it possible for 2grand, or is 3 nearer the mark?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

I don’t own one but brother in law got one recently, as far as I remember the bird itself cost €1500 for a hand reared chick so I’d say closer to 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I'm not too sure on my Macaws but I was in the Kinsealy Pet Store a few days ago, they have what I think is a Macaw plus large cage plus gome other goodies for 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Be careful where you get the bird, price doesn't always reflect quality.
    Cage depends on size, the bigger the better but also you need a tough good quality play stand and a parrot proof room is vital for a Macaw.
    Be prepared for damage to furniture and possible behavioural issues over time.
    After you have bought the bird, accessories and cage etc. good quality food and fresh foods are important and toys need to be replaced regularly so toys and chew things are going to cost a good bit every year.

Check out parrots.ie for more info. and zooplus.co.uk for cages etc. and google northern parrots for a much wider range of toys and games.

It's very important to feed a natural diet as possible and mind your fingers with that beak also make sure neighbours (if any) won't mind the noise and if getting just one you need to be there a lot, as much or more than you would with a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

The Best description I've heard so far of keeping a Macaw was that it was 'Like living with a hyper-active four year old who deafens you and eats the furniture'... My neighbours are cool. The attention requirements aren't really the problem for me either; I'm fairly time-wealthy, it's cash I'm poor with. I'm putting aside 50 a week and I'm just wondering how long I need to do this for. I'm calculating about a year from this advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

:eek: I didnt know they would cost that much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Do you know what kind of Macaw you are thinking of buying? There are many different types, including a Hahn's which I saw recently in a shop for €950. These are the smallest Macaw, and very loud.

Be prepared for lots of screeching in the mornings when the sun comes up, that's when my last parrot decided he wanted to open his lungs and sing songs :)

Parrots are amazing animals to have, and they become so attached to their human. The bond is incredible... Still, it is scary to think they can live for 25-30 years!

You should google Copsewood Aviaries in Kilmacanogue, Wicklow. He sells many types of birds and might be able to point you in the right direction for the type of Macaw you are looking for.

But looks aren't everything... Thanks I'll check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I second copsewood averies- they are very helpful and they usually have alot of different types of birds. The last time I was there they had a huge macaw, he was about 1700E I think- he could talk aswell

That's probbly a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

€950 for a Hahns is very expensive unless it had a large cage included.If you can, buy from a private breeder as most of the pet shop ones are imported from Holland or Belgium and can be well stresed by the the time they reach the pet shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had the honour of sharing many years with a Blue & Gold Macaw. His owner died & this is a common problem. Life expectancy is 50 years but 80 is not unknown so you really have to ensure that someone is primed to take over the bird.

Personally I believe that Blue & Golds have the nicest temperament. The biggest challenge comes as they become sexually mature, around 5 years. This is why you get so many that were nice youngsters but then become a problem.

Don't skimp on the cage, mine was 5ft square & nearly 6 ft tall. Also you need a good stand but they are easy to make. Always padlock the door & never leave the key in the lock - I watched mine turn a key in a padlock & open it.

If I were considering another it would be a Hyacinth.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

The Best description I've heard so far of keeping a Macaw was that it was 'Like living with a hyper-active four year old who deafens you and eats the furniture'...

I stayed in a mates house for a week with 2 macaw's and 2 african greys, all i can say is i couldnt live in a house with one full time, they are increadibly loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Be prepard for around €2000 for a hand reared baby macaw - more if it is a rare breed! Make sure all birds are captive bred & not smuggled!

When you get the bird - take it to the vet straight away for blood tests & microchipping this will cost around €400 - Bairbre O'Malley in Bray is the vet I use for my parrots.

The cage can cost another €500 - €1000 depends on size!

I was given my blue & gold macaw - she has severe metal issues & has been feather plucking for aroun 20 years now - she is around 35 now & is fit as a fiddle but half bald!

I was also given an African Grey feather plucker - they are both a challenge!

Macaws need a lot of mental stimulation - imagine a 2-3 year old toddler - with house wrecking beak! & that is a macaw! You will have this bird for LIFE! Once they bond they are yours! & they should out live you! So they will become your childrens problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

funkyouup wrote: »
    I stayed in a mates house for a week with 2 macaw's and 2 african greys, all i can say is i couldnt live in a house with one full time, they are increadibly loud.

You can train a Macaw not to shout. Mine never made a sound all night & blackout blinds helped ensure lay ins !. Whipsnade Zoo had 4 that would change formation in flight - red arrows style. They are incredible intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

i paid 400pounds in belfast few years ago......ni version of buy and sell.. ..

With a parrot that cheap I would expect to find myself in a Monty Python sketch... Was it old or did it have behavioural problems?

Advertisement