Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best value "off the shelf" Gaming PC right now?

Options
  • 10-10-2010 8:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

A couple of years ago I bought a PC from Ankermann.

It was an e8400, 4GB RAM, and a 9800GTX+ graphics.

I paid like ~€500 and was very very happy with the purchase.
    In terms of usage I don't think I've made a better purchase.

However since I don't have a quad core (and all newer games will be designed around this) and my gfx is outdated I'm wondering what the best deal currently is.

I not sure about using Ankermann again as he kept emailing me with excuses the last time, about waiting on components and whatnot (my friend had the exact same problem) plsu distance in shipping back to the Fatherland may be a pain.

Also he doesn't ship with an OS and Id like to upgrade to W7 as I have Vista installed on my current system.

Anyways I haven't a clue about building so I'd greatly appreciate any links. Dell, Dabs, Komplett or whatever. If Ankermann have a particularly good deal right now then tell me, I'm not sure what to look for as I don't keep up with all the latest GFX cards.

Thanks for looking and I'd greatly appreciate any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Or you could always chance a HWVS system with the System Builder option on, adding another €20 to the cost as opposed to another €200 as you get with Dell etc. :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

jayteecork wrote: »
    Hey all,

A couple of years ago I bought a PC from Ankermann.

It was an e8400, 4GB RAM, and a 9800GTX+ graphics.

I paid like ~€500 and was very very happy with the purchase.
    In terms of usage I don't think I've made a better purchase.

However since I don't have a quad core (and all newer games will be designed around this) and my gfx is outdated I'm wondering what the best deal currently is.

I not sure about using Ankermann again as he kept emailing me with excuses the last time, about waiting on components and whatnot (my friend had the exact same problem) plsu distance in shipping back to the Fatherland may be a pain.

Also he doesn't ship with an OS and Id like to upgrade to W7 as I have Vista installed on my current system.

Anyways I haven't a clue about building so I'd greatly appreciate any links. Dell, Dabs, Komplett or whatever. If Ankermann have a particularly good deal right now then tell me, I'm not sure what to look for as I don't keep up with all the latest GFX cards.

Thanks for looking and I'd greatly appreciate any replies.
    why not stick a new graphics card in and a quad core cpu job done

+1 depending on PSU model ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Agree totally,just upgrade what you have and save on total cost by flogging the old stuff( makes upgrading a lot cheaper )

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Thanks for the replies.

I hear my mobo, the Gigabyte G31M-S2L is pretty poor.

I've never upgraded anything in my life so is it an easy process with said mobo.

Also could you guys recommend the best value quad core and gfx, pretty please!

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

OP
    I'm currently building a really decent machine made up almost entirely of secondhand deals on adverts.ie.

Intel Core i7 920
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C CPU cooler
    Asus P6X58D-E Motherboard
    Corsair dominator 6GB RAM
    Corsair HX750 PSU
    Coolermaster HAF 932 full tower
    Sapphre 5870 vapour x graphics (may shop around for a second one in crossfirex mode)
    Razer LYCOSA Gaming Keyboard
    Razer Deathadder mouse
    Sony 22x DVD Burner

I have bought all of the above secondhand in mint condition (cw boxes, manuals etc) mostly off adverts, but one or two items off ebay. So far I have spent around €1000. All I have left to get is a monitor or three.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The good news is the CPU is very upgradeable on that board anyway :)
    http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/cpulist/ga-g31m-s2l.html

Yup, you're just a BIOS update away from sticking a 45nm quad on ;)

I'd be more worried about OCing on those cheapie boards, you really need to get a C2Q up to at least 3GHz for it to remain beastly even compared to current CPUs :o

As for GPU keep an eye out for GTX460 1GB models going cheap first-hand - I've seen pre-OCd models go for around €165 on a couple of occasions - or second-hand HD5850s (which are rare as hen's teeth :(), so long as you have a decent enough PSU :)

jump on this good deal if you ask me http://www.adverts.ie/306091/hardware/intel-q6700/

Solitaire wrote: »
    Yup, you're just a BIOS update away from sticking a 45nm quad on ;)

How do I update the bios?!

I downloaded the update and got these files:
    bios222.jpg
    Clicking on any of them doesn't seem to do anything.

anyone help?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'll need the Gigabyte bios update utility, look on their website

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'll need the Gigabyte bios update utility, look on their website

Thanks found it and updated.

However for some strange reason my "computer" is stating that I now have a floppy disk drive.

lmao, wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks found it and updated.

However for some strange reason my "computer" is stating that I now have a floppy disk drive.

lmao, wtf?

You can disable that in the bios

massy086 wrote: »
    jump on this good deal if you ask me http://www.adverts.ie/306091/hardware/intel-q6700/

Hey guys.
    I put in an offer for the q6700 and the seller accepted.
    However I'm not sure wheather or not I'll need a new fan
    or "heatsink" (I have no idea what a heatsink is)

any ideas before I finalise the trade?

Ps: what's a good price for an e8400 on adverts.ie?

the heatsink off the e8400 will work fine the 8400 should still be worth 60-70 on adverts

I've actually decided not to go through with the trade.
    That quad is outdated now and when I took off the side panel of my PC I just said f it.

I'm not going near it. I'd completely f up the system messing around in there.

So what I was thinking is if I could get rid of this rig to someone (e8400, 9800GTX+, 4GB, 500GB HD) then I could go for this:

http://ankermann-pc.shops4ecommerce.de/shop/sp.php?artnr=85382&pr=NzU5LjAw

i7, gtx40, looks mouth watering. What do you guys think the spec and the price?

I could probably get ~€200 for my current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I could probably get ~€200 for my current system.
    youll easily get 250euro for it, possibly 300euro( if youre lucky )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That PSU is more than likely a load of junk.

You could probably do just as good with parts from hardwareversand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

why go for i7? i5 would be just as good at gaming, and is alot cheaper.

also, build it yourself and itll save you a few bob.

Looking at the prices on hardwareversand, you could definitely do better. Building it yourself is not as hard as you're probably thinking, but hwv put them together for something like €20.

How is "Intel® Original Box Cooler" a selling point?

• Advertisement

Because it appeals to the pseudo-clueless - Ankermann's favourite victims...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

How do I update the bios?!

I downloaded the update and got these files:
    bios222.jpg
    Clicking on any of them doesn't seem to do anything.

anyone help?!
    hold on there m8, be very very very careful now! no matter what brand of mobo you are looking at, there is 50/50 chance that you can kill the bios. personally i killed 3 mobo by flashing the bios...(the rma process is a headache). google around about what should you do before update the bios.

and as everyone suggested, get a cpu+gpu upgrade then you have quite a machine there. i bought a pc from ankermann in 2007 and it is still running strong :) with a 5770+psu+ram upgrade. also, personally i would get a Win7, it is actually the simplest big performance upgrade from vista - well you at least 4gb ram to see that.

build the pc by youself if you are buying a new one. ankernann has some real bargain back then but now with the increased popularity of many websites(pix, hwv), ankermann deal is kinda meh.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    hold on there m8, be very very very careful now! no matter what brand of mobo you are looking at, there is 50/50 chance that you can kill the bios. personally i killed 3 mobo by flashing the bios...(the rma process is a headache). google around about what should you do before update the bios.

and as everyone suggested, get a cpu+gpu upgrade then you have quite a machine there. i bought a pc from ankermann in 2007 and it is still running strong :) with a 5770+psu+ram upgrade. also, personally i would get a Win7, it is actually the simplest big performance upgrade from vista - well you at least 4gb ram to see that.

build the pc by youself if you are buying a new one. ankernann has some real bargain back then but now with the increased popularity of many websites(pix, hwv), ankermann deal is kinda meh.

The bios updated ok. At least I think it did. Althought anyone what button it is to enter on the bios on start up as I can only seem to get into the boot menu.
    But according to "msinfo32" I have the bios version I installed going.

A also bought my system from ankermann(in 2008) and it's definitely one of my best ever purchases. That system I linked above looks juicy though. Although I might wait until these new "non bios" PCs come out next year.

Also, sorry if this is noob question but say I bought a copy of win7 can I keep all my files on my computer if I upgrade?

Thanks.

Upgrade your existing vista computer to windows 7? Yes you can do that, but most people here will agree that clean installs are always the best. Two years worth of rubbish can slow down your computer quite a bit.

Advertisement