Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student with FETAC level 6 qualify for TLT Grant?

• 10-10-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I have completed an Advanced Certificate level 6 fetac last year and was getting a PLC grant. This year i am doing a level 6/7 degree in computing in CIT. I wanted to know if i am eligible for a TLT grant because i know you cant get grants for repeating the same level. But they ARE two different schemes

Anyone shed some lite?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

IMC042 wrote: »
    i know you cant get grants for repeating the same level. But they ARE two different schemes

Are they? As far as I know there is not a distinct PLC grant. All third level grants are administered by VECs or County Councils and cover from Level 5 up. If you received your grant for Level 6, then you cannot get it again until you progress onto Level 7.

I'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

I really hope that is not the case, they are two different schemes though.

Maintenance Grants Scheme for Students attending European Social Fund-Aided Post Leaving Certificate Courses (PLC Scheme)
    (This is the one I was on for FETAC)

Third Level Maintenance Grants Scheme for Trainees (TLT Scheme)
    (This is the one I am going on to now for CIT)

Higher Education Grants Scheme (HEG Scheme)

Vocational Education Committees’ Scholarship Scheme (VEC Scheme)

A bill was created in 2008 to make them one unified grant but it has not passed yet. What I have is an advanced certificate from fetac, but im doing a three year degree now. Im just worried because year 1 and year 2 are at level 6 AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

The man at the desk in Co Cork VEC assured me that because I have gone from PLC scheme to TLT scheme that I am entitled to the grant regardless of the fact I have a fetac level 6 cert!

Advertisement