Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 18-200MM IS Lens

• 10-10-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi All,

I posted in this forum a couple of months ago regarding a new entry level DSLR camera to accompany me on my travels across Africa.

Long story short, through the help of a lot of guys on the Photography forum, I had decided to go with the Canon 500D with a 18-55 IS lense. I was gonna purchase an additional Tamron or Sigma 55-300 mm lens (non IS) to go with that.

So off I went today on my travels to Belfast in search of the camera and I was about to purchase the above set when I noticed a combo of the 500D with a Canon 18-200mm IS lens. The combo was priced at £699 (approx €815) with Jessops. It tempted me a lot. So much so that I decided to pack in my intentions to go with the original 18-55 and seek some research and advice on this alternative option.

It seems ideal for what we want as it offers IS on both near and far shots and it also cuts down on the luggage in our backpacks as it could potentially mean that instead of having two lenses (1 good, 1 not as good), we could simply have 1 really good lens.

Has anyone here had any experience with the Canon 18-200 mm lens? I had a little play around with it outside the shop (thanks to the sound sales guy) and it seems pretty pretty good! Based on my initial research, it appears to be a perfect companion for traveling/backpacking needs.

Any feedback would be massively appreciated and if it's worth it, I'll be shooting back up North in the coming days to invest!

Thanks a million,

Jim.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've never used one but it certainly seems like a very useful focal length range - from wide @ 18mm up to decent telephoto @ 200mm. I'm assuming it's not especially fast but with IS that will help.
    Seems like a decent single lens for a road trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not a Canon user but I have heard that the tamron 18-270 OS is a better lens. Both have issues according to Dpreview:

The canon 18-200:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is_c16/page4.asp

The Tamron 18-270:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15/page4.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭tipperaryjim

Really appreciate the advice guys!

Considering my level of experience (very little), do you think that going for the Canon superzoom 18-200mm would be too much of a trade off than going with the combo pack of Canon's 18-55 IS lens and a 55-250 IS lens? Both are priced very similarly.

I'm quite confused tbh as while I want to cut down on luggage, i also don't want the quality of my shots to be constrained by an inferior lens.

Grrr.... :confused:

One lens isn't going to add much to your luggage really, usually a combo of lenses covering the same range will be better quality than an all in one. And once you get used to switching lenses you will be doing it as you walk along, takes seconds with practice ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Considering my level of experience (very little), do you think that going for the Canon superzoom 18-200mm would be too much of a trade off than going with the combo pack of Canon's 18-55 IS lens and a 55-250 IS lens?

Go for the 18-200 - it covers the focal range of the two separate lenses and you just have one to worry about with no changing involved.

• Advertisement

If you're concerned in any way about IQ, 2 lenses will be superior.

Don't take my word for it though, do some searching, general consensus points to the 2 lens option:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-lenses/177413-buy-all-around-18-200-lens-vs-buying-2-lenses-18-55-55-300-a.html

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00TSnS?start=10

As someone in that second link comments, if you opt for an all in one lens you may as well get a good quality bridge with superzoom. As those multi-ranging zooms can be very soft at the wide and long end. I'd not compromise on that unless it was a very good quality offering. Switching lenses is part and parcel of using dslr cameras. better off to get the hang of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Really appreciate the advice guys!

Considering my level of experience (very little), do you think that going for the Canon superzoom 18-200mm would be too much of a trade off than going with the combo pack of Canon's 18-55 IS lens and a 55-250 IS lens? Both are priced very similarly.

I'm quite confused tbh as while I want to cut down on luggage, i also don't want the quality of my shots to be constrained by an inferior lens.

Grrr.... :confused:

I have the 55-250 is and its a very decent lens, my favourite lens. I never leave home without it. From what I have been told and read in some magazines its one of Canons better lens. It sharp and I have got some decent images with it.

I would go the the 2 lens combo 18-55 is and 55-250 is as both the Canon lens are small and light. The Irish shops I think have become more competitive on price and I think You will pick up both for about €350-€400
    The 18-55 NON is lens is from €89 and the 55-250 is from about €260, you can also get them second hand.

Good luck with trip:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jonboy74

Advertisement