Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite Basketball movies.

Options
  • 10-10-2010 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Whats your favorite Basketball movie?

Mine would probably have to be the superb" Rebound." The realism of getting a team that hasn't won a game in 12 years to the championship game, the great Basketball scenes and the fact that the underdogs win at the very end makes it a totally unpredictable finale.

J/k. My favorite by far is the amazing Hoop Dreams. I watched it again last night and it's one of those documentaries that will never lose it's charm. A story of two kids in the ghetto trying to fulfill their dreams of playing in the NBA but having a lot of obstacles along the way is just so captivating. Easily the best Basketball movie of all time imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

hoop dreams is fantastic, really enthralled me when I seen it first, was a big eye opener and an insight into how life can be for some of these athletes.
    (was big eye opener to Irish kid anyway) must watch it again.

recently watched Kobe doing work, was OK - wasn't totally blown away by it all, didnt really convey the buzz or excitement of a match.

also watched the Lebron James Documentary - really enjoyed it, Plan to watch it again

some old classics, trashy as they may be.....
    White man cant jump & space Jam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Hoop Dreams is amazing.
    Kobe documentary is ok, didn't enjoy it too much as they don't reveal a huge amount about Kobe himself, some of the game tactic discussions are good, and there's a little trashtalking thrown in as well.
    LeBron James documentary was very good I thought, you really see him as a gifted teenager turning into a superstar. And you see his ego growing at the same time.

He Got Game and Blue Chips are a bit silly but enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I actually liked "White men can't jump". The chemistry on screen between Woody Harelson and Wesley Snipes is very good and the Street ball scenes aren't all that bad,. There's certainly much worse stuff out there....

Keep meaning to see The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault" but haven't gotten around to it yet. It looks amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Coach Carter.

@ lafortezza - totally forgot about Blue chips (one of shaq's better movies), was it nick nolte in that, I think it was? must look it up

no lets all try forget about kazaam.............

Dennis Rodman in Double Team with the muscles from Brussels, watched when it came out because I'm a bulls fan - had to cringe at some of the cheesy lines, but wasnt the worst movie I have seen.

anyone seen The Minis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

Above the Rim is prob up there with BBall movies but most BBall movies are poor, early part for Bernie Mac in there too.

He Got Game is alright. Hoosiers tho bball is dodge.

Blue Chips Ill check out, though Shaq totally sucks at acting.

If we are naming Double Team which has no BBall bits I assume, everyone should check out Abdul-Jabber vs Bruce Lee in The Big Boss. Great fight scene.

@ da goat, don't worry Shaq doesn't do much acting in Blue chips a few lines here and there and some basketeball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Been enjoying ESPN's 30 for 30 series.

The best basketball related one is probably 'Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks'

'The Guru of Go' is also excellent, about the coaching career of Paul Westhead and his radically offensive strategy.

'No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson'. Interesting film, not much on-court action, more about justice system and racial issues. Directed by Steve James (Hoop Dreams director).

'Jordan Rides the Bus'. About Jordan's time in baseball. Directed by Ron Shelton (White Men Can't Jump director).

'Without Bias', about the death of Len Bias. Well made but very, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Im showing my age here people but the best basketball movie without a doubt is Best Shot or Hoosiers as it was known in the US...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

padraig_f wrote: »
    Been enjoying ESPN's 30 for 30 series.

The best basketball related one is probably 'Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks'

'The Guru of Go' is also excellent, about the coaching career of Paul Westhead and his radically offensive strategy.

'No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson'. Interesting film, not much on-court action, more about justice system and racial issues. Directed by Steve James (Hoop Dreams director).

'Jordan Rides the Bus'. About Jordan's time in baseball. Directed by Ron Shelton (White Men Can't Jump director).

'Without Bias', about the death of Len Bias. Well made but very, very sad.

Have seen the Reggie Miller and Allen Iverson ones, both brilliant. Would like to see the others though, the Paul W and Jordan ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You want cheesey hoops (apologies to Eric Cartman)?

Try "The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh"

Yes, that is Dr. J!

Haven't seen it but it's supposed to be good, "Hooked", about Hook Mitchell:

Watched the LeBron Documentary just now (it came from amazon today) and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. The coach comes out looking like a really nice guy in it and indeed LeBron comes out quite well in it too at first but you can see a bit of the change as he moves towards the end of his Senior Year in High School (like wearing the King James PE Nikes etc.). Some of the role players come out well too and overall it combines the human and basketball stories quite well.

Also finishes with a MONSTER dunk from LeBron over KG and James Posey against the Celtics from a few years ago which I hadn't seen before - watch the angle from 40-45secs for the best view:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Like most of the ones mentioned already,
    Dont think "the goat" has been mentioned already- Rebound:The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault, check it out, well worth a watch and its a true story, it used to be on youtube anyway in 10/11 parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Has anyone mentioned 'Above the Rim' ? Good film too.

Anyone catch "Once Brothers" last night on ESPN? Very good. Story of how the Yugoslavian World Champion fell apart in 1990 after the Worlds because of the war in Yugoslavia/Croatia/Serbia etc. The human element to the story was very sad and quite touching (if I can say that!) while some of the basketball was incredible - in a fundamentally sound, European, team-oriented basketball way! Well worth a look if it's repeated. Most of the players involved (Petrovic, Divac, Kukoc etc.) were my basketball heroes when I was growing up - not the flashier NBA players! My first NBA game in the US I went to see Kukoc, not the "bit" players on his tam :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Anyone catch "Once Brothers" last night on ESPN? Very good. Story of how the Yugoslavian World Champion fell apart in 1990 after the Worlds because of the war in Yugoslavia/Croatia/Serbia etc. The human element to the story was very sad and quite touching (if I can say that!) while some of the basketball was incredible - in a fundamentally sound, European, team-oriented basketball way! Well worth a look if it's repeated. Most of the players involved (Petrovic, Divac, Kukoc etc.) were my basketball heroes when I was growing up - not the flashier NBA players! My first NBA game in the US I went to see Kukoc, not the "bit" players on his tam :D:D:D

Thanks for posting that link - a pal of mine was telling me about that episode only the other day. Kukoc, Divac, Petrovic could ball with the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Anyone catch "Once Brothers" last night on ESPN? Very good.

Just watched it and I have to agree. It's easily my favorite 30 for 30 episode so far actually. The aspect of Vlade and Drazen both making the NBA from small towns and maintaining a strong friendship only to have it destroyed over things that neither of them could control was absolutely fascinating. I had also forgotten just how good Petrovic was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

white men cant jump, its an absolute classic...
    has me feeling all nostalgic (hence my first post in the basketball forum)
    might even dust of the boots and look for a team.:D

any ideas, northside dublin?

@blaze1
    we have a pick up game going every Sunday at 6 in ringsend, your welcome to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

ah its a bit out of the way for me as no transport, but cheers anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mediaprom

Coach Carter is my favorite film about basketball Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFhHEepF4s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bledmillennium

Glory Road
    Coach Carter

Advertisement