Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea Forest Park

Options
  • 10-10-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Brought the Family there today - first time ever - and thought it was a nice place, not overpriced, and good walks for a Sunday afternoon.

HOWEVER, one word of caution for anyone thinking of going there: Make sure you have €4 in change. We never realised one needs the entry fee in coins, and ended up driving about 2kms up the road to a pub called Connolly's. Run by a very helpful gentleman, He informed us all day every Sunday, he is asked for change for entry to the park.

I wonder how much business the park loses by not having the facility to supply change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

For anyone who visits the forest park on a regular basis (like me) then a yearly pass is more than worth the price of 30 euro. After 8 visits ALL the rest are 'free' (8 x 4 euro = 32).....no messing with coins or having the right change.

One thing that really annoys me is the dangerous and inconsiderate parking of cars on the main road at the entrance to the forest. It will result in a serious accident one of these days.

maguffin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Whats worse are the spanners that park on narrow roads around the park. Very very dangerous indeed. Some of the cars sport company logos on the side - I will report when time permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

I thought being charged €4 in here bordered on extortion.
    When you consider that places like phoenix park are free?
    Maybe it's just me :confused:

STforSale...there is a big difference between what Dublin Corporation have in their funds and that of Coillte....Donadea park is maintained on the funds it gets from those who visit it. Refer to my earlier post above re the annual pass.

maguffin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It's a beautiful park - and handy for use as car parking base for walks as far afield as Ballinafagh lake. Well worth the four euros entry fee. Mind you road into the parking area could do with some major resurfacing - plays havoc with my little Micra's suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Went there a couple of weeks ago for the bat walk. Ended up walking all around the lake in the dark; seriously one of the coolest experiences Ive had in ages!

€4 might seem steep for entry, but in fairness Id sooner pay to contribute for its upkeep rather than not pay and see it closed to public because they cant afford to run and maintain it.

I have no information on the budgets of KCC or Dublin Corpopration.
    Suprised people are happy to pay for something that used to be free, particurlary when the vast majority of parks have no entry fee.
    Guess someone had to pay for for those plush offices.

You may not have noticed..but Donadea forest is slowly being transformed back to a proper deciduous woodland, also the paths are maintained giving wheelchair (and indeed pram) access round the lake and elswhere, there is new planting in progress.......all of which cost money. And yes, at one time access was free...but the facilities and proper pathways were not there. Try and enumerate other things that cost 4 euro that give as much pleasure as the forest does....you won't find many!

maguffin

One of the main gripes I had on my last visit was the state of the paths, I found pushing the buggy tough going, most of the pathways where just aggregate pounded into the earth. Fair enough if it's free but if your charging entry.......

Anyway your probably right, the fact that it's being restored to a deciduous woodland would be wasted on me. I was just looking to kill a lazy sunday afternoon with the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

We actually enjoyed the afternoon there yesterday. We didn't use the coffee shop, so cannot comment on the fare/prices there. Personally, I have no quibble with the €4 - at least it hasn't gone down the Cliffs of Moher route, where they charge by the head - my only gripe is that there is no warning about coins ONLY for a 'newbie' until You drive up to the barrier. There were actually another car behind us in the exact same boat, and they followed us to the pub to get the change.

Surely in 2010 they can put a paper slot into the damn machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

MACHINE!?There was always a 'young fella' there up to recently!Pah!Highway robbery by robot...Yes it a lovely place but why shoul the poor aul non jackeens always be robbed?!Water,refuse,parks etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Well worth the €4 charge excellent place for a walk or to let children run about. €4 to help with maint costs etc is very little and season pass is the way to go if using it a few times a year.
    For the record the Phoenix Park is run by the Office of Public Works(OPW) not Dublin City Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I agree with the warning signs - there could be more. I don't have a problem with the charge. Coillte do a great job maintaining the forest and the charge helps pay for that - it does not cover all the cost. It's a great place for a walk or a run or to come with the kids. I highly recommend it. If you're into running the Donadea Running Club meets at 10am every Saturday for a run.

Do they run out on the roads? I very nearly had a serious accident coming round a bend to meet a car on the other side of the road (no problem) but a bunch of runners coming towards me on my side. Very close one.

It's no place to jog/run (edit) in groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No we run in the forest and do fitness training in the gaa club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Plenty of places to park safely on the road.

Legal unless there is a solid white center line , double yellows, blind corner or over or near a crest. Or anywhere you are going to be a hazard.

Why pay Coillte Forestry anything??

You have the right to enter for free on foot. Its a free country ye know.

If this is like any other forest Coillte owns, as soon as its ready for harvest, there is a good chance they will strip it to a soggy mess of mud and stumps. Thats what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Err, there might be a few other entrances besides the main, €4 one, not that I would know. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Groucho2000

maguffin wrote: »
    For anyone who visits the forest park on a regular basis (like me) then a yearly pass is more than worth the price of 30 euro. After 8 visits ALL the rest are 'free' (8 x 4 euro = 32).....no messing with coins or having the right change.

One thing that really annoys me is the dangerous and inconsiderate parking of cars on the main road at the entrance to the forest. It will result in a serious accident one of these days.

maguffin

Just one thing to watch with the yearly passes: they run from Jan - Dec. So if you purchase one in late august it runs out on 31st dec. Got caught with that one and was very anoyed. They don't tell you that when you go to buy the card!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gsxr1 wrote: »
    If this is like any other forest Coillte owns, as soon as its ready for harvest, there is a good chance they will strip it to a soggy mess of mud and stumps. Thats what they do.

Its a Forest *Park* donated to the state by the Church of Ireland (they got donated it before that, mind) and managed by Coillte, not an industrial forest for wood/pulp production.

You don't lay out trails, a coffee shop, toilets, etc in a commercial forest!

MYOB wrote: »
    Its a Forest *Park* donated to the state by the Church of Ireland (they got donated it before that, mind) and managed by Coillte, not an industrial forest for wood/pulp production.

You don't lay out trails, a coffee shop, toilets, etc in a commercial forest!

Ok .. so its not a commercial forest . Hence the word "IF" at the start.

I still believe that ye would be some sap to pay to get in ..

As a citizen of the state it was donated to and all.

• Advertisement

Ok .. so its not a commercial forest . Hence the word "IF" at the start.

I still believe that ye would be some sap to pay to get in ..

As a citizen of the state it was donated to and all.

The state dont have any money. Do you think maintaining a forest park like Donadea would be high on their list of priorities for funding?

The choices are get the visitors to pay meaning there is funds to pay for the upkeep of the forest, or dont charge and allow the place to fall into disrepair until it eventually closes.

djimi wrote: »
    The state dont have any money. Do you think maintaining a forest park like Donadea would be high on their list of priorities for funding?

The choices are get the visitors to pay meaning there is funds to pay for the upkeep of the forest, or dont charge and allow the place to fall into disrepair until it eventually closes.

how the state manipulates their money is a big big argument .

I think it comes down to this.

Most peeps dont know and dont care to know, all the other gates around the park. There is road side parking but not much of it. This suits me. I am one who uses the park for mountain biking. Way at the other end. We make our own little paths. No money needed. Way off the beaten path.

The most of the public will follow the signs and want to park their wagons in the main area. With toilets and an over expensive cafe. Nice lake views and safe walking paths. These places need money for maintenance . These are places people like me avoid due to human traffic. We pee in the bushes ...lol While we are having a ball at the back , while at the other end others are having a lovely day.

I would not pay. But thats just me.

how the state manipulates their money is a big big argument .

I think it comes down to this.

Most peeps dont know and dont care to know, all the other gates around the park. There is road side parking but not much of it. This suits me. I am one who uses the park for mountain biking. Way at the other end. We make our own little paths. No money needed. Way off the beaten path.

The most of the public will follow the signs and want to park their wagons in the main area. With toilets and an over expensive cafe. Nice lake views and safe walking paths. These places need money for maintenance . These are places people like me avoid due to human traffic. We pee in the bushes ...lol While we are having a ball at the back , while at the other end others are having a lovely day.

Where exactly do you park?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Does anyone know if they do anything special at Donadea for Halloween? Can't find any info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

We pee in the bushes ...lol While we are having a ball at the back , while at the other end others are having a lovely day.

If you fall off your bike and end up with a serious injury will you sue Coillte? Maybe they also need the entrance fee to cover insurance costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

from the sound of it, gsxr is a bit like me, and would crawl home in a pool of blood to lick his wounds. sueing would not come into it. If i was in donadea, and all the trees, the coffeshop and several of the ducks fell on me, i would no more sue than light a fire in my shoe. it takes a certain kind of skanger to sue places like this.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Where exactly do you park?

just drive around the whole park. You will come across more gates on your way around. Safe off road parking everywhere.

You are under no oblagation to pay anything in the park if on foot.

granturismo.. you are on a whole different wave length to me im afraid .

Im not the type that would even consider such a thing.

just drive around the whole park. You will come across more gates on your way around. Safe off road parking everywhere.

You are under no oblagation to pay anything in the park if on foot.

There is not safe off road parking everywhere. A heavily used 'entrance' for freeloaders is on the Staplestown road on a single white line just before a blind bend. Very dangerous and is likely to result in an very bad accident as some traffic has to cross the line on the bend.

Stupid selfish parking. I trust you're not one of the those persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

I wasnt stating you would sue,just asking - which you answered and also trying to point out that there are costs associated with a public attraction.

• Advertisement

From my exprience of Donadea it is not safe to park on the side of most of the roads surrounding it. Im sure there are spots where one can abandon their car in relative safety, but there are also a lot of spots where it is quite dangerous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement