Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea Forest Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

djimi wrote: »
    From my exprience of Donadea it is not safe to park on the side of most of the roads surrounding it. Im sure there are spots where one can abandon their car in relative safety, but there are also a lot of spots where it is quite dangerous.

you are in deed correct. But there is loads of places to park. Really. As long as you get all your wheels of the tar you are safe.

Im getting a feeling there is a lot of coilte management on the forum . The suggestion of profits falling by so called free loaders seems to be panicking peeps. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'd probably pay the annual pass thing. Live nearby & been a couple times & thought the 4 euro was worth it, really really nice & well kept place. There don't seem to be play areas for kids but they get a kick out of running around anyway! It's one of the best for walking through foresty areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

MINK....the WHOLE point of bringing children to the forest is to let them run around and play in a natural environment.....the idea of a 'play area' is MISSING THE POINT!!!

maguffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The whole forest is a play area. What exactly are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

gsxr1 wrote: »
    you are in deed correct. But there is loads of places to park. Really. As long as you get all your wheels of the tar you are safe.

Im getting a feeling there is a lot of coilte management on the forum . The suggestion of profits falling by so called free loaders seems to be panicking peeps. :pac::pac::pac:

No panic here.

You appear however to be one of those 'free loaders' putting harm in other motorists way in order to score 4 Euro against the state. You decline to mention where you park and you suggest that getting your wheels off the tar is good enough.

Well, it's not good enough on a narrow road with a fixed white line on a bend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

Run by a very helpful gentleman, He informed us all day every Sunday, he is asked for change for entry to the park.

Ciaran in connleys, hes some man for sure, lovely lad and a great lad to have in charge of a pub

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

maguffin wrote: »
    MINK....the WHOLE point of bringing children to the forest is to let them run around and play in a natural environment.....the idea of a 'play area' is MISSING THE POINT!!!

maguffin

No need to SHOUT

I'm not missing the point, I'm making the same one you are - that there's no need for a play area cos whole place is a playground - I obviously didn't articulate this very well.

Also the nature trail with the plaques giving info about the trees is very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

€4 parking is a rip off.
    Coillte don't need it the park could be funded from their commercial business
    Coillte Announces €4.2 million Profit

E39MSport wrote: »
    No panic here.

You appear however to be one of those 'free loaders' putting harm in other motorists way in order to score 4 Euro against the state. You decline to mention where you park and you suggest that getting your wheels off the tar is good enough.

Well, it's not good enough on a narrow road with a fixed white line on a bend.

Are you one of type that gives out about everything? You appear to be.

If you take the time to read the thread you will find that I said it is illegal to park where there is solid white lines. I dont. please dont assume things that
    you have no idea about.

How is it freeloading to use a forest on foot ?? tell me .. show me a link.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Are you one of type that gives out about everything? You appear to be.

If you take the time to read the thread you will find that I said it is illegal to park where there is solid white lines. I dont. please dont assume things that
    you have no idea about.

How is it freeloading to use a forest on foot ?? tell me .. show me a link.

Sorry about that. I only read your pre-edit version before you add the bit about white lines etc. Silly me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Love Donadea Park... does anyone know any other similar parkland areas, around the same distance circumference to Dublin?

Years ago there was a Fairy park somewhere in Wicklow?

Thanks

You could try Ballynafagh Lake. Very beautiful but a lot more difficult to get around. This time of year you'd need wellies. Good parking too and no entry fee.
    http://www.npws.ie/en/SAC/001387/

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

If you look up Coillte's site:

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/

you'll get a county-by-county list of their forests.

maguffin

E39MSport wrote: »
    Sorry about that. I only read your pre-edit version before you add the bit about white lines etc. Silly me.

silly you indeed.
    look at the date of the edit 12-10-2010 at 19:12. was due to type O error .

long before your rant .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Went there today and did not have to pay as the barrier was up. Nice spot would have paid €4 anyway as its well kept.
    You should have a look around the forest at Castletown House in Celbridge no charge, but the forest is destroyed in parts with burnt out cars, empty beer cans, rubbish and attempts to set some of the trees on fire. thats what happens when you give some people something for nothing

You are extremely tedious my friend.

You initially said: -
    "just drive around the whole park. You will come across more gates on your way around. Safe off road parking everywhere."

You have been quoted twice.

Simple fact. There is NOT safe off road parking everywhere. Some people parking at various places around the park are posing a very real danger to all road users.

Do yourself a favour and don't keep this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Like Mobby yesterday, we went there today, and the boom was again raised.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

yip boom is crocked,

what a beautiful day out there today,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Does anyone know if they do anything special at Donadea for Halloween? Can't find any info online.
    anyone?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whispered wrote: »
    anyone?

Last year there was a Fancy Dress night that the kids loved.Havent heard anything about this year yet.

Dunboyne Castle is supposed to have a brilliant day/afternoon on this year with a Halloween market for the adults and a fancy dress party for the kids from 11am till 5pm.

If we dont hear anything about Donadea that where we`ll be heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Halloween market sounds great actually. No kids though, I wonder would we stick out like sore thumbs. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Adelante

Ive loved Donadea since Ive been a kid for the past few years its been a santutary of peace and reflection. Speaking of seasonal festvities where do you find out about the Xmas one, I went down there last Xmas eve or the evening b4 and I have to say there was sthing magical about the place with the lights etc, I never knew they had it, it was just by chance I went down, who organises it etc, it was really lovely, anyway apologies for mentioning the C word so soon thanks

Not sure about before Christmas but on Stephen's Day there's a good family day out. The Wren Boys - i.e. local folk and trad musicians, kids games, great atmosphere. We've gone for the last three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

mobby wrote: »
    Went there today and did not have to pay as the barrier was up. Nice spot would have paid €4 anyway as its well kept.
    You should have a look around the forest at Castletown House in Celbridge no charge, but the forest is destroyed in parts with burnt out cars, empty beer cans, rubbish and attempts to set some of the trees on fire. thats what happens when you give some people something for nothing

The barrier is is left up in the off season, Oct to May I think, or was the last time I paid attention to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

barrier is back in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

Yup barrier defo back working. Went there yesterday morn and couldn't believe the amount of people there. Kids had a great time exploring (as they put it) and then sat beside the fire for a cuppa. Kids dying to go at christmas, does anyone know when Santa will be there? (Sorry I know its still only Nov but no harm in being organised lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Do you get horseriders at Donedea? (obviously not right up by the cafe) I had to buy a permit of €150 to get access to my local forest, I had no warning when the lock was changed and thankfully I wasn't in the forest at the time or I would have been stuck.

It's annoying that horse riders have to pay this. Coillte (sp) can be annoying to deal with. Still waiting for the form to get another permit (I gave up that idea months ago!).

Do you get horseriders at Donedea? (obviously not right up by the cafe) I had to buy a permit of €150 to get access to my local forest, I had no warning when the lock was changed and thankfully I wasn't in the forest at the time or I would have been stuck.

It's annoying that horse riders have to pay this. Coillte (sp) can be annoying to deal with. Still waiting for the form to get another permit (I gave up that idea months ago!).

No bikes or horses afaik.

edit: - I think you can ride in Ballynafagh. (there may be a height barrier though - I'll check at some point)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Do you get horseriders at Donedea? (obviously not right up by the cafe) .

There used to be an organised ride once a year - parts of the park were closed to pedestrians for the day. I cant remember who organised it. Coillte gave plenty of notice.

• Advertisement

That would have been a special exception/event. There's no horseriding or bikes allowed in Donadea normally.

Dogs are allowed. They are supposed to be leashed but enforcement is not carried out. I run in the park and anyone with an unleashed dog has always controlled them when runners go by them. Never had a problem with any mutts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement