Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800 GTS replacement

Options
  • 10-10-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Had a 8800 GTS for a while now, any thoughts on if its worth getting a new card just yet, whilst I can still get 50 euro for it?
    Budget is 100 euros.
    Not a hardcore gamer, but like to future proof, maybe dx11 card.
    Generally play games that are 6 months - 1 year old

Quad Q6600, asus p5k-e, 4GB ram, Windows 7

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1. If that's a 512MB version you'll be darn lucky to even get €50! :eek:
    2. If that's a 320/640MB version, you ain't getting anywhere near €50! :o
    3. If that's a 512MB version there ain't gonna be anything under €100 that'll be any improvement! :o:(

... unless of course you find an old HD4890 going cheap and have a PSU to match, but they're pretty rare...

...or you added the sale money to the pot and tried to get a very cheap GTX460...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

second hand i would go for a 4870/4890 or an nvidia 260( dont see many of those ones knocking around second hand though ).

New, id go for a 5770 within your price range or a 460( if you can afford it, but definately its an uber card ).

Oh, ATI's new cards are due out in 2-3 weeks, might drive Nvidias prices down youre talking a 6-8 week wait on the prices reducing though( if they do, i think they will though, ATI cards are all mid range ).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Solitaire wrote: »
    1. If that's a 512MB version you'll be darn lucky to even get €50! :eek:
    2. If that's a 320/640MB version, you ain't getting anywhere near €50! :o
    3. If that's a 512MB version there ain't gonna be anything under €100 that'll be any improvement! :o:(

... unless of course you find an old HD4890 going cheap and have a PSU to match, but they're pretty rare...

...or you added the sale money to the pot and tried to get a very cheap GTX460...

This bloke got very lucky then! Sold for €50
    http://www.adverts.ie/295299/peripherals/graphic-card-nvidia-8800gts-dual-dvi-tv-out/

And yes its the 320mb version. and I have a meaty PSU.
    All stuffed into a 10 year old Lian LI PC60 case

Guess I should wait then!

This bloke got very lucky then! Sold for €50
    http://www.adverts.ie/295299/peripherals/graphic-card-nvidia-8800gts-dual-dvi-tv-out/

And yes its the 320mb version. and I have a meaty PSU.
    All stuffed into a 10 year old Lian LI PC60 case

Guess I should wait then!
    very very lucky, i wouldnt spend any more that 30euro on it( but im a cheap git haha )

But then, theres nothing currently better than it for 100 euros?!!!

• Advertisement

But then, theres nothing currently better than it for 100 euros?!!!
    course there is, you can get an 8800GT( about 20% faster than the old 8800 640Mb 8800GTS and prob about 40% faster than the 320Mb 8800GTS on higher res textures/higher resolutions or with AA ) or ATI 4850 for about 45-50 euro second hand( both of those cards have similar performance with the 4850 being slightly faster ), Nvidia 260 or ATI 4870/4890 should be about 80 euro second hand.

Youll find it hard to get any non crap DX11 card for less than 100euro, this 5770( similar performance to an Nvidia 260 or ATI 4870 when the 5770 is overclocked ) is 109 euro but i dont know what delivery costs are - http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39007&agid=717

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

guys, guys, guys!!! First ask him what power supply he has and than start to list out graphics...

Most of HD 45xx series and 57xx series need good power supply of 500W... Nvidia GT 200 series overheat very quickly so I wount recomend them...

Fresz19 wrote: »
    guys, guys, guys!!! First ask him what power supply he has and than start to list out graphics...

Most of HD 45xx series and 57xx series need good power supply of 500W... Nvidia GT 200 series overheat very quickly so I wount recomend them...
    It was asked and the response was "and I have a meaty PSU."

Disagree on the overheating 200 series, as not all of them run hot, my old Nvidia 260 216sp was nice and cool so accepted a decent overclock while still having lowish temps. I agree when it comes to the 285 though

lmimmfn wrote: »
    It was asked and the response was "and I have a meaty PSU."

Disagree on the overheating 200 series, as not all of them run hot, my old Nvidia 260 216sp was nice and cool so accepted a decent overclock while still having lowish temps. I agree when it comes to the 285 though

Yep, its this one, 480w, not quite 500, but I havent had any problems with it

http://modtown.co.uk/mt/review2.php?id=taganpsu

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ergh. The fact that the site refuses to show any real info about the PSU is fishy... from other sources I found that its an ancient unit with a measly 28A rating on the 12V rail. Even a HD4850 would be pushing it really IMHO, best stump up for a HD57*0 :(

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Ergh. The fact that the site refuses to show any real info about the PSU is fishy... from other sources I found that its an ancient unit with a measly 28A rating on the 12V rail. Even a HD4850 would be pushing it really IMHO, best stump up for a HD57*0 :(
    i agree, low amps on the 12v rails and its ancient, a 57 series would be the best both for power and performance( an 8800GT would easily work but the difference between that and an 8800GTS 320Mb isint enough these days )

Well done Solitaire, I am Busted! Good bit of detective work.
    Yep, I bought the PSU years ago, for a ATI Sapphire Golden Sample (Still have it!)
    In those days, you could get away with just upgrading your card every year or so.
    Then with the BIG upgrade to Socket 775, I went cheap on the PSU and so far gotten away with it.
    But as per the original topic, I'm wondering if I can stretch it a little further without major expense surgery.
    Sounds like the answer is no, so I'll can wait untill the next generation cards come along.

Thanks again for the info

Oh, and Overclockers uk have the 8800 GTS for £46.99 and thats a grade a refurb!!
    Looks like I picked a good card for once

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Advertisement