Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP address for linksys wireless-g access point

• 10-10-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to access my access point to allow allow another laptap access my wireless network. I have it limited by mac address.

I've tried the usual 192.168.1.254 & 192.168.1.245 and got nowhere. When connected to the access point I've ping everything from 192,168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 but nothing responsed.

Any body know what other address it might be ?

Thanks.

(i know i should have noted it down the last time i connected )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Click Start - Run - Type "cmd" click ok.
    At the command prompt type "ipconfig" without quotes and click enter.

The Default Gateway is the routers ip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

is it doing dhcp and giving you an ip address?

if not you could use something like wireshark to capture traffic when you connect to the router and see what address and network are being broadcast when it starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Assuming Windows:

Start > Run > "cmd" > "ipconfig" and look for the default gateway address, this is your router.

EDIT:
    Too slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

ipconfig is returning 192.168.1.1 as default gateway but cant connect to that address via browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Are you connecting through the lan cable or wireless? Some routers wont let you log on to the router when using wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

linksys normally use 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 as default, but it could be set to anything. as has been mentioned, ipconfig and it's your default gateway address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If its an access point it won't give a dhcp lease therefore You'll need to give your network card a static ip in the 192.168.1.x subnet to access it.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If its an access point it won't give a dhcp lease therefore You'll need to give your network card a static ip in the 192.168.1.x subnet to access it.

Good man , thanks (and everybody else also)

and the address for anybody else is 192.168.1.245

username: (leave blank)
    password:admin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Nope, that is a customised address, routers / ap's will always have an IP either at the beginning of or end of a subnet. Must have been changed at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aidan203

Nope, that is a customised address, routers / ap's will always have an IP either at the beginning of or end of a subnet. Must have been changed at some point.

The IP on your router on a wireless setupis the IP of your default gateway.

It usually is 192.168.2.1

Rightclick on your Network icon to bring up the properties box. Select Status, When that appears go to tab Support. There you'll find your default gateway address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ehhhh Thanks?

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Strangely enough not, the actual default ip for a Linksys access point is 192.168.1.245, all references online point to this:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wap54g+default+ip

lads lads lads ,

as mr kissmyXXXX..... pointed out earlier
    ......If its an access point it won't give a dhcp lease therefore You'll need to give your network card a static ip in the 192.168.1.x subnet to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aidan203

Strangely enough not, the actual default ip for a Linksys access point is 192.168.1.245, all references online point to this:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wap54g+default+ip

That's true for the Linksys WAP54G

But other models differ:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/linksys_routers/f/linksys_address.htm

The default gateway shown in the network support would show the one to use or google your model number.

See also: http://home.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/

I do not have a linksys router ....... its an access point and

1) the actual default ip for a Linksys access point is 192.168.1.245
    2) access points won't give a dhcp lease
    3) you have to manually give your network card a static ip in the 192.168.1.x subnet to access it

Cheers.

Advertisement