Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clown loach question

Options
  • 10-10-2010 11:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend just bought two clown loaches in the pet shop, but she has read that they can grow to 16 inches in length. Is this true? The tank is only 30L in capacity, so would not be big enough if they were to grow to this size. The loaches are currently 2 inches long. Advice most welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I would change to a 54ltr tank

I have two in my 110l tank . Both are about 2 inches long . They seem to be slow growing fish so it will be a long time before they grow to the size your Thinking . ( A few years )

also mine stay a cave most of the time which they share with a Red Tailed Black Shark .

Everything should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

dambarude wrote: »
    A friend just bought two clown loaches in the pet shop, but she has read that they can grow to 16 inches in length. Is this true? The tank is only 30L in capacity, so would not be big enough if they were to grow to this size. The loaches are currently 2 inches long. Advice most welcome!

60L is far too small for them, they will grow a bit, maybe not to 16 inches but you should only put them in a 180L+ aquarium.

However as said above it will be a while before they do reach a size like that so in the short term you should be alright.

180l for two fish is a bit big

why would they need so much space at 2 inches long . Also in my experience of owning two they are mostly Cave Dwellers .

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

WIZE wrote: »
    180l for two fish is a bit big

why would they need so much space at 2 inches long . Also in my experience of owning two they are mostly Cave Dwellers .

Sorry I only meant if he/she were adding more fish to it, clown's are good community fish so the likelihood is they would be adding more fish to the tank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Thanks for the replies. Interestingly, one of the loaches is a bit of a hermit- it stays in a cave a lot of the time- while the other swims around frantically. There are also 4 neon tetras and two rose tetras in the tank (30L).

• Advertisement

With More fish in the Tank your friend should go for a bigger one as Mr Pink said

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Also worth nothing that Clowns are very sociable fish, they love bieng in large groups and have hilarious behaviour when they are.
    Get a bigger tank and if you want to, get 4 more clowns.
    A group of 6 is ideal for the type of shenanigans they get up to.

Something else about them is that they are really sensitive fish, if your tank is not doing well they will be the first to show it. Losing weight, catching whitespot amongst other things. Keep your water clean and you should be trouble free.

Keep an eye on that Red Tail. They are fine at that size, but as they grow they will get territorial and hyper aggressive. Provide a few caves for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Didihno wrote: »
    Also worth nothing that Clowns are very sociable fish, they love bieng in large groups and have hilarious behaviour when they are.
    Get a bigger tank and if you want to, get 4 more clowns.
    A group of 6 is ideal for the type of shenanigans they get up to.

Something else about them is that they are really sensitive fish, if your tank is not doing well they will be the first to show it. Losing weight, catching whitespot amongst other things. Keep your water clean and you should be trouble free.

Keep an eye on that Red Tail. They are fine at that size, but as they grow they will get territorial and hyper aggressive. Provide a few caves for a start.

Agree with Didi.
    A four foot tank 300l for Clown Loaches is a minimum IMO plus they
    do better in groups.
    The one that is hiding sounds like it is really stressed.

Advertisement