Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router, Range

Options
  • 10-10-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I need to buy a new wireless router for home and was wondering whether anyone can recommend a router with great range and reliability, price I guess no more than around 100 euro......

Any suggestions would be great, was thinking of getting one of the new Linksys routers with Cisco, yet Ive read some bad reviews and want to make sure I get a reliable router.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks, not too bothered if it isn't N, but whatever us best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Great reliable router, I get through lots and lots of these and they never let me down:
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421&productID=S3107041

This is the GL (linux version), with the older specs before Cisco started chopping and changing components to cut costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Thanks alot! Is the range good on it? I presume its compatible with Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

It's perfect for 11G. Very popular router and runs DD WRT firmware too if you so wish

Sorry but 11g?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

shortys94 wrote: »
    Sorry but 11g?

802.11g
    , its a wireless standard as in a "g" router.
    There's also the newer 802.11n which is faster, but all devices would need to be "n" to see the benefits as it would downgrade to "g" speeds on "g" devices. You nowadays see laptops advertised with wireless "n" cards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sorry but 11g?

Wireless can be a complicated business and it really is worth reading up a bit on it - there is loads of stuff on the net if you care to search.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=wifi+introduction&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

ahhhh sorry i didnt know thats how you write it short hand, no i understand b,g,n etc, just need a router with a good range, thanks for the help

Got the router and set it up, works well, but I thought the range would be alo better, would that firmware version you mentioned earler do anything for the range?

Got the router and set it up, works well, but I thought the range would be alo better, would that firmware version you mentioned earler do anything for the range?

I'm not certain about that router but generally with ddwrt u can adjust power output and tweak settings. Doesn't always mean you'll have better range though.

Try locating the router as close to the centre of ur hse as possible fir maximum range and throughput. Generally, most decent routers have similiar range,but where u place them really makes all the difference.

Microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors etc all operate on the 2.4Ghz band so will interfere with wireless networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

You could try higher gain antennas.

• Advertisement

JonMac wrote: »
    You could try higher gain antennas.

On most top end routers nowadays the anennas are internal and any modification would void the warranty.

Using higher gain antennas wouldn't always guarantee better range & throughout. Ur still limited by ur client.

Advertisement