Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mental health budget decreased again - O.H says "very depressing"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Are you due a change of username?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Budget hasn't been announced yet buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why is your spouse depressed about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Your OH is hi-larious. It was definitely worthy of a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The mental health facilities in this nation are an embarrassment. With the pressure of life in the current climate surelt depression and mental health issues will increase

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Your OH is hi-larious. It was definitely worthy of a thread.

Thanks, she is a woman of few words and very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Firstly, mental health facilities are a joke
    Secondly, public perception is also a joke. I'm from Tipp and if you go to St Josephs in Clonmel then people say you are gone to the "funny farm"

Is your OH are a manager with some power?
    Or just an unionized nurse with opinions on things they cannot control?

Finally, suicide and road accidents are the main killers of young men.
    The National Roads Authority gets a massive budget.
    Suicide cases are often hushed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

Secondly, public perception is also a joke. I'm from Tipp and if you go to St Josephs in Clonmel then people say you are gone to the "funny farm"

Is your OH are a manager with some power?
    Or just an unionized nurse with opinions on things they cannot control?

Finally, suicide and road accidents are the main killers of young men.
    The National Roads Authority gets a massive budget.

The OH is unemployed at the mo and never worked in mental health.

You have to laugh or you will cry. Im making light of a serious situation.
    Im finding all the economic news to be over whelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

This is mainly due to the fact that when they are given a lot of media attention, they inspire other ppl to commit suicide. It's why methods are suicide are rarely portrayed.

• Advertisement

This is mainly due to the fact that when they are given a lot of media attention, they inspire other ppl to commit suicide. It's why methods are suicide are rarely portrayed.

I'm not disputing that.

Though I started a thread this week on motor accidents with just the driver that leave the road inexplicably and are ruled as accidents.
    Not suicide?
    My thread was swiftly locked, fair enough

That's a debate for another day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Well unless you have read all of the reports of the investigation, you've no right to claim it was a suicide. Although some may have been, you need to be certain before labeling any death a suicide.

Esp as this is a small country, friends/relatives maybe on this site and random strangers gossiping about the death of their loved one is something they don't need.

Also saying a single car accident is a probable suicide, well you're giving ppl the method. Even in reported suicides, all efforts are made not to release details of methods. I know it may seem silly, as we can all think of a way to kill ourselves, but hearing of a recent succesful suicide is a powerful trigger to ppl with suicidal thoughts.

http://www.samaritans.org/pdf/IrishMediaGuidelines2009.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I love the way people say [insert your thread bash topic here] is a joke without ever actually having any experience that it is like that or not.
    that bandwagon must be near full by now no?

Well unless you have read all of the reports of the investigation, you've no right to claim it was a suicide. Although some may have been, you need to be certain before labeling any death a suicide.

There is only one person in Ireland who determines the cause of death and that's the coroner. Well in most cases anyway.

I never once linked to any case or mentioned a name, area or county in Ireland.
    I respect a moderators decisions and will abide by them. And reading your post Delicate_Dlite but I'm not realy here disputing it.

Boards.ie, wanted to start a debate.
    As I said, I never mentioned names or areas

Saila wrote: »
    I love the way people say [insert your thread bash topic here] is a joke without ever actually having any experience that it is like that or not.

Must be aimed at me as I was the first to post joke

Yeah, I stand over those comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Poor joke OP, the public mental health facilities in this country are abysmal. All care is acute and long-term treatment consists of drugs and nothing more. I have direct experience of some of the worst facilities (my dad has long-standing psychosis) and to say that they're 19th century is being generous. I've seen happier and better equipped prisons. This country is ridiculously bad at looking after the most vulnerable in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Must be aimed at me as I was the first to post joke

No, Im not out to get you, general statement reread for clarification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

My mother has had mental health problems in the past. I visited her before in Lake View ward in Naas hospital. They treated them like caged animals. All they had was TV, a broken pool table and some second hand art supplies.

Disgraceful is a f**king compliment for that ward

Advertisement