Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

A couple of questions on the new Xbox 360 console.

• 10-10-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,283 ✭✭✭✭

As I know sweet FA about the console Im looking for a wee bit of help/advice here please.

1. When buying how would you know the difference between the old and new models?
    2. I see 4gb and 250gb models for sale but what would justify paying the extra for the bigger HD?
    3. Can it be connected (and play obviously) to an ordinary TV?
    4. Am I right in thinking that the basic consoles are all the same price but the "packages" vary from place to place?
    5. Any suggestions as to where the best deals can be got - either high street or online?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

1. The new "S" model is glossy black. Thinner and has an "edgyier" look while the Original 360 looks curvy and homely and mainly comes in white. There is one black model but it looks identical to the white. You will clearly see he difference instore.

2. The bigger hard drive is worth it. Some demos are larger than a gig in size, videos that you may download, updates for games, addons, arcade games and also some games (like Halo Reach) require a Hard Drive to use some features.

3. By ordinary I presume you mean Standard Defintion? With a Scart Lead?
    The current xbox comes with a composite cable with a converter to a scart connection so should work fine with most ordinary TVs. If your TV has HDMI use that :) (afaik, confirm in store before purchase)

4. Well the 4GB costs less than the 250GB of course. But yes there is a RRP that shops more or less stick to. For slightly more (sometimes slightly less) you can find Bundles that a games store with put together for a set price. Protip: Before you buy a bundle in a games store ask if you can trade in the bundled games straight away against a title that you may prefer. Only do this if the value is worth it in your eyes)

5. Personally go into town, 2 of the main games stores are within a 2 minute walk of each other. Compare bundles, prices and bundled games and make a decsion :)

Something you may also like to know. Each xbox comes with 3 One Month Trial Subscriptions to Xbox Live. (Only for new gamertags) So there is no need to set up a subscription straight away in store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,283 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Daraa, thanks a million for the very detailed reply. :)

In relation to No.3 it is the standard definition type TV and a scart lead would be the order of the day so.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

Daraa did a great Job, but he missed out on the fact that the new 360"s" also comes with a built in N wireless adapter for connecting to the internet.
    They cost around 90 euros new alone, :)

I call the new "S" the 360 slick

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ga2k10

also the new one is much quieter i have the non shiny xbox and it sounds like a generator when ever i turn it on

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

ga2k10 wrote: »
    also the new one is much quieter i have the non shiny xbox and it sounds like a generator when ever i turn it on
    Much quieter until it freezes, and starts making grinding sounds! Thought my Halo console was gonna RROD on me today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Healium wrote: »
    Much quieter until it freezes, and starts making grinding sounds! Thought my Halo console was gonna RROD on me today!

I got my S console 2 weeks or so after it came out and ive had no such issues with it.... standard one, not the Halo one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Fieldog wrote: »
    I got my S console 2 weeks or so after it came out and ive had no such issues with it.... standard one, not the Halo one....
    This was just a once-off, but it scared the crap outta me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Just one thing daraa didnt include, the bigger hard drive is worth it for one other reason. You can install games to the hard drive which is very handy in itself in regards to disc spin noise (now i am talking older boxes as from what i gather the new one is pretty quiet)

The games range in size between 5 and 8 GB (roughly) so you can see if you got the 4GB one you would be snookered on that front.

Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hi muffy, fancy seeing you here..

just a word of advice go for the 250 gb one as 4 gb is terrible memory trust me you will want the higher gb hd straight away nearly.

this console is reportedly bulletproof but my release 360 slim packed it in 2 weeks ago methinks, they replaced that day but still no hardware is bulletproof imo.

the 360 is a great console muffy trust me your in for a treat, defo get gears 1 and 2 to start with those games are legendary imo..

good luck,

ray

• Advertisement

try adverts muffler. lol seriously though seen a few there u might just get a good deal with games..

GAAman and DARK-KNIGHT both posting here - its my fan base following me around the forums :D

try adverts muffler.
    God forbid :eek:

The console isnt actually for me. I'm just asking the questions on behalf of a family member who wants to get his kid one for Xmas. He knows as much as I know about them so thats why I posted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

muffler wrote: »
    GAAman and DARK-KNIGHT both posting here - its my fan base following me around the forums :D

Fans........................yeah thats it

>.> <.<

:D

GAAman wrote: »
    Fans........................yeah thats it

>.> <.<

:D
    YES FANS:confused: lol

muffler wrote: »

God forbid :eek:

The console isnt actually for me. I'm just asking the questions on behalf of a family member who wants to get his kid one for Xmas. He knows as much as I know about them so thats why I posted here.
    i would advise the 250 gb model mate as the 4gb isnt that much cheaper and i bet if ya try and buy a hard drive later on itl cost an arm and a leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Don't forget Amazon.co.uk, they'll have some good deals on the run up to Christmas with free shipping. It'd be even cheaper if there was somebody up north to get it posted to (cheaper VAT rate).

Advertisement