Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid question re. weight

• 11-10-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if fighters had to be a "minimum" weight for a fight?
    I know it's not likely to ever happen, but is there anything legal or otherwise in the rules to stop for example, a middleweight fighter challenging a heavyweight (say for a title) without actually ramping his weight up to 206?
    If he honestly believed at his ideal weight around 185, he could beat the heavyweight champ, would he be allowed to try? I say for a title because I know for a grudge match they could just meet somewhere in the middle at a catchweight.
    Like I said, I know it's unlikely, but just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Well if the fight is sanctioned by an athletic commision such as nearly all UFC events then the committee would not allow a fight with such a weight difference to take place. Catchweight fights are also rare and there would never be a very big weight difference (since they both would have to weigh in anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

For a fighter to fight for a weight classes title, he must make weight in that division. So for a Welterweight title bout, he would have to be between 156 and 170 pounds (71 and 77 kgs) with a pounds worth of grace either side of the limits I believe.
    Otherwise both fighters would have to agree to a catchweight fight if one or both fighters fail to make weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In short.
    Yes there are minimums, 146, 156, 171, 186 and 206 respectively from LW to HW.
    It's the same for the other 4 divisions, (actually not sure about FW)
    The 1 pound allowance only applies to non-title fights.

I'm sure there are some rules for catch-weight bouts to prevent huge mis-matches, but not sure what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Unless the match is in Japan

Advertisement