Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck (slightly threaded) bottle cage bolt

• 11-10-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I've a stuck bolt on a bottle cage. It's slightly threaded, can't get a grip with the allen key. Any suggestions on getting a better grip on the bolt to get it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

One trick is to get an allen key that is slighty to big ie wont go into the bolt and tap it in.Be very careful if you have a carbon frame

If you can get a grip on the top of the bolt mini vicegrips locked onto it.

If it reccessed then you will you may have to break the bottle cage off till you can get a grip or hacksaw a groove so you can get a screwdriver onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Take off the other bolt. Then using the allen key, or a slightly bigger one in the sheared bolt, rotate the bottle cage anticlockwise at the same time. It might be just enough to shift it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

To keep this thread going (no pun intended) I have a slightly different problem in that the bottle cage bolts have now sheared into their fittings and when I turn the bolt, the fitting turns with it, simply spinning within the frame. Any bright ideas how to turn the bolt without turning the fitting ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

To keep this thread going (no pun intended) I have a slightly different problem in that the bottle cage bolts have now sheared into their fittings and when I turn the bolt, the fitting turns with it, simply spinning within the frame. Any bright ideas how to turn the bolt without turning the fitting ?

A dollup of superglue around the fitting usually does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

It might be time to cut your losses.
    Cut away what you can of the existing cage and bolt. Cover whats left with a new cage and use a cable tie insteaed of the sheared bolt.
    Otherwise I would be thinking of a getting a cage that attaches to the rear of the seat post or the handlebars.
    You can always carry an extra bottle in your back pocket too.
    Is it possible someone put a bolt in there with has the wrong thread pitch which caused it to seize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

This happened to me the week before the wicklow200 where I was most def going to need two bottle cages!!
    In a panic I took the bike to Richies in swords and they managed to send it off to get fixed.
    I didn't want to try myself as the frame is carbon and didn't want to risk damaging it.
    They managed to sort it no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

did u get this prob sorted? is the screw stainless steel (not magnetic) or zinc plated?

You could use a screw extractor kit if the bolt is zinc plate (not stainless). Just google how they work or check here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbqbKb8aB8

JML: for all your problems in life.

Advertisement