Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaky pet lol

Options
  • 11-10-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Well, this here be my Mexican Redknee Tarantula(Brachypelma Smithi)..i have 3 more T's as they're known in the hobby,
    Feel free to feel sick lol but this is an amazing pet, and extremely beautiful!
    And also, incredibly docile and slow moving:D
    Photo-0048.jpg
    Photo-0050.jpg
    Photo-0055.jpg
    Hope you enjoyed, i'll try get some of the rest of them lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

What do you feed them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

WIZE wrote: »
    What do you feed them

Crickets usually although my Pinktoe loved locusts.

My larger ones used to take the odd pinkie mouse every now and again.

These make excellent pets.

Care sheet I wrote a few years back on keeping Tarantulas as pets.Way out of date with regards to some comments regarding "dangerous" species.After more research I could do with editing out some of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055063572&highlight=caresheets

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Beautiful! Really stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've always thought spiders like that are cool but for myself would never keep them. Do they do much, or just sit there the whole time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Are they dangerous in Any Way

I could imagine one day waking up with an Itchy nose to find one of them on my Face :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've always thought spiders like that are cool but for myself would never keep them. Do they do much, or just sit there the whole time?

I personally prefer Arboreals to ground dwellers as they are usually a lot more active.And the webs they spin are amazing.They spin these cone shaped webs which are as strong as t-shirt material in the upper corner of their cage-hence the from opening cage recommended for arboreals..They usually stay in the bottom of the web and come out to hunt.

WIZE wrote: »
    Are they dangerous in Any Way

Not unless you have a reaction to the venom--yes they are venomous but its harmless--Ive edited my care sheet to reflect that.

Ive only ever been bitten once and that was because I was trying to hand feed one of them with a long tweezers that I thought wasnt eating.Ran out of its web,up my hand and sunk one fang into my finger.
    Felt kind alike a wasp sting and I still have a small scar where it bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Thanks Hellrazer, you pretty much summed it all up there.
    Thanks everyone! shes gorgeous alright!
    My chaco golden knee is very active, along with this girl
    But my chile rose and white stripe birdeater are inactive and only come out during feeding time!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I have a chile, he's docile but some have been known to be aggressive. Exotic pets are additive, got an emperor and getting a beardie and a couple of fire belly toads soon

TheTosh wrote: »
    I have a chile, he's docile but some have been known to be aggressive. Exotic pets are additive, got an emperor and getting a beardie and a couple of fire belly toads soon

I'd love an emperor scorpion!
    Yeah, they are overly addictive not fun at all..! new pictures in a mo of the other T's for ye to gawk at, i also keep 2 snakes ( i have 3 but have yet to collect my boa) and i'm getting a Spiderling(Sling) soon enough:)

My white stripe birdeater....absolutely stunning!!
    STA72210.jpg

Chile Rose
    Photo-0003.jpg

Chaco golden knee...absolutely docile very slow moving
    DSCF6247.jpg
    White Stripe
    DSCF6250.jpg
    One of the White Stripe again
    DSCF6251.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I was in Zion National Park in Utah this summer. Came across a hole in side of mountain while doing a hike, the pic below is what darted out. A passer by came along and picked it up and put it on his son's hand. Put it near hole and it crept back in....

Amazing how fast it was darting out of hole....have no idea what type it is...

That looks like one of these :

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=647
    A brachypelma Albiceps....i'm getting one soon !
    The one in your pics looks brighter....but the carapace is the same, i could be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Well, this here be my Mexican Redknee Tarantula(Brachypelma Smithi)..i have 3 more T's as they're known in the hobby,
    Feel free to feel sick lol but this is an amazing pet, and extremely beautiful!
    And also, incredibly docile and slow moving:D
    Photo-0048.jpg
    Photo-0050.jpg
    Photo-0055.jpg
    Hope you enjoyed, i'll try get some of the rest of them lol

Great stuff mate, but still utterly alien to me.

hehe i know how you feel....(kind of) my family is the same lol

There totally awesome, and some of them are completely docile!
    Like any other pet, except they eat less and take up alot less room!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

DSCF4261.JPG just thaught id add my 1 & half year old chillie rose too:)

Thanks for sharing!!!
    Thats a healthy and very cool looking Chile rose dude!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I like spiders, though the bigger they are the more I like them. The big ones aren't as sneaky. :) A mate had a couple similar to yours. He has one female red knee(I think?) that must be going on 15+ at this stage. Very gentle and easygoing and as they were well used to being handled seem to actually enjoy walking about on people. Free heat source I suppose. :)

I know by saying the word enjoy it sounds like I'm overly humanising them, but his old female is incredibly chilled out and if you put your hand near her cage she actively seeks it out to have a crawl around. She'll actually avoid your face as he reckons she has copped on the big monkey that feeds her dont like that. :D The little wagon will climb all over your head though. I gather that because she doesn't have a bald patch on her abdomen she doesnt feel threatened and feel the need to fire her irritation hairs at you. That was his explanation, but since Ive no clue about pet arachnids I don't know. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm the exact same! Don't come near me with a teeny house spider or a daddy long legs or i'm out of there :D
    Give me a docile Terrestrial T and i'll be grand! wow must be one amazingly calm female! I'd say it is a red knee, if shes orange and black? They appear in a lot of movies!One James bond movie as far as i know....can't remember the name of it though :P I have a chaco that seems to 'enjoy' coming out to me as well he/she is lovely and a dream to watch and look at!
    Yup my one has a bit of a bald patch....likes shooting urticating hairs at me but i have yet to be hit!! :D Lucky me cos it's meant to itch like hell!
    But yes if a Tarantula is overly anxious or nervous or isn't treated with the proper respect they will kick hairs....alot....and this will leave a noticable ugly bald patch on there abdomens!
    Get some pics and stick them on here some time!! :)
    Joe
    Speaking of actually....i might get newer pics of the T gang and some of my snakeys!

Advertisement