Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brilliant explanation of why the world is in a mess

• 11-10-2010 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Mods: Posted this in AH as this is a worldwide issue but yet many of us (myself included) don't/didn't really know the reason why our economy is screwed. It affects all of us, so I thought that it shouldn't be limited to the economics or politics forums.

Below is a very good, simple explanation for part of the reason we are in a financial mess.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

if its true Im sure lots of people know it already
    do I need a tinfoil hat to look at the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Saila wrote: »
    do I need a tinfoil hat to look at the video?

No.

Confab wrote: »
    No.

just saw it, nothing new, next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Well, although annoying, its not a bad bit of background to the original driving force. helps clarify George's Bush's love of the common man and his /her desire to own their own home. ie not because of love, but to help his investor buddies out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

just saw it, nothing new, next.

To you maybe.

But it is informative. It gives the basics, which is what 99% of news agencies failed to do even when the news broke.

They told us we were screwed, but few of us knew why.

• Advertisement

that is only about 1/10 of the story, David McWilliams had a series of programmes explaining the ins and outs, and pointing out the writing on the wall...nobody wanted to know and kept 'playing'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

we're f*cked because people are stupid.

simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

orourkeda wrote: »
    we're f*cked because people are stupid.

simples

FUcked indeed.

Fuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Faaaaaack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Who to blame?

Advertising!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

that is only about 1/10 of the story, David McWilliams had a series of programmes explaining the ins and outs, and pointing out the writing on the wall...nobody wanted to know and kept 'playing'

David McWilliams helped make the mess worse with his notorious 'bank guarantee'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Fuckidey fucked I tellz you!

David McWilliams helped make the mess worse with his notorious 'bank guarantee'.

what? you make that sound like it was his idea. shooting the messenger again are we.

what? you make that sound like it was his idea. shooting the messenger again are we.

Well, probably wasn't his idea, probably copied from somebody else, but, from the 28 October 2008:

Sunday Business Post | Irish Business News

I note in particular:

In addition, there is no point pretending that this problem is limited to ‘weaker’ banks. All Irish banks are in the same boat - the only difference is how critically they are affected.

All Irish Banks, yep, that includes Anglo.

The only option is to guarantee 100 per cent of all depositors/creditors in the Irish banking system. This guarantee does not extend to shareholders who will have to live with the losses they have suffered. However, it applies to everyone else.

Note, he says shareholders, not bondholders.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

McWilliams claims it was his own idea in his books. Of course he's now backtracked on that particular claim, true to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

"It was the economy, stupid"

Clinton copped that the ordinary man wanted to feel the benefit of the America's victory over Communism(Reagan) and oil-greedy Arabs (Bush Senior), so he persuaded the banks to loosen up their lending rules so they could buy houses they could never afford. And so we got Lite Touch Regulation and the proliferation of scams, e.g. credit default swaps, to insure against its idiocy.

It was like a bookie's ring. But this time the mug that got caught with all the losses was a bank that was too big to fail, but also too big to bail out.

And so Western capitalism spiralled downwards to the pit we are now in.

But, hey, if the rich have no money, then they have no power!

Stay cool. Think it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

McWilliams claims it was his own idea in his books. Of course he's now backtracked on that particular claim, true to form.

He didn't suggest a never ending bank guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

What time limit did he put on then?

delaad wrote: »

None.

I think his crystal ball was on the blink then, or rather vague, luckily for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

delaad wrote: »

Two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It is more than 1/10 of the story. And I never stated it was all the story.

What exactly is your problem? I posted a video that I felt might help people to understand part of the reaseon we are where we are today. What's so wrong with that?

And McWilliams is an idiot. If you actually listen to him on the radio or on the television, he says a lot, but doesn't actually tell you anything new.

He's a phoney.

If you have nothing positive/constructive to post in relation to other people's posts, then why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

It's all a big pyramid scheme omgz, lol :eek::eek::eek:

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Two years.

On the first guarantee.

He seemed to see no problem with it on his blog anyway. So much for foreign banks rolling in here!

Lenihan’s masterstroke has bought us time to sort out our own problems | David McWilliams

Advertisement