Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student studying abroad grant Help

Options
  • 11-10-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I have a few questions about being a mature student applying for a grant to study abroad.

Im 24 and living with my parents (again) in Ireland. When I finished my Leaving Cert, I went straight into a one year FETAC Level 5 course in Art,Craft and Design. (In O'Fiaich College, Dundalk) Having completed with distinctions I was automatically granted a place in college in Col Sir Gar,(Carmarthenshire College) in Wales. I chose to do Fashion and with the help of my mam (mostly her doing the ground work) I applied and recived a grand to study abroad.

Unfortunatly I found college daunting and within three months,had dropped out of the course with plans to return the next year as I felt I wasnt mature enough at the time.

Though I didnt return to college, I remained in Wales, working for three years and living there. Having met my partner in Wales, we deciced to move in togther with two other friends.But a year later they moved out and we coulndnt afford the rent so we decided to move back to our respective parents to save money.

So now I'v been (back...argh!) living with my parents and working part time I really feel the need to get proper qualifications behined me. I'v had a job offer from a company in Wales where I used to work and was thinking about going back to college. (better late than never!)

The only thing is I know Im classed as a Mature student now, but seeing as I never completed the course would I be classed as a "second chance" student or would I even be able to apply for the grant again? Seeing as I dropped out first time round?

Im currently on Partial Jobseekers and working 12 hours a week. The job offer I'v had can work around full time college but Without a grant I dont think I could afford to go back.

Could anyone help me with this? I feel so out of my depth here.

Thanks.

Advertisement